Men, the books you've read

Options

Replies

• Carillon_Campanello
    Carillon_Campanello Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    Another great read on the rise and fall of the British empire, with cool interactive map.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/09/08/map-the-rise-and-fall-of-the-british-empire/?utm_term=.302d1a51c550

@Timshel_

This is a pretty good read about the rise and fall of empires on a more general level with most major empires sited throughout history.

http://people.uncw.edu/kozloffm/glubb.pdf

Also try War And Peace And War by Peter Turchin. Fascinating how history repeats itself. People think what's happening now is new. When really it's par for the course.

I'm putting the turchin book in my amazon cart
    Thx

Collapse by Jared Diamond is intriguing as well. I wish I had more time to read his other works. I am oddly attracted to the strange stories of how societies actually collapsed over the course of time. Moreover how in almost every example "our technology will save us this time" seems to be a recurring theme. Makes me wonder if this whole interwebs thing is as good as we think it is.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,505 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    Another great read on the rise and fall of the British empire, with cool interactive map.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/09/08/map-the-rise-and-fall-of-the-british-empire/?utm_term=.302d1a51c550

@Timshel_

This is a pretty good read about the rise and fall of empires on a more general level with most major empires sited throughout history.

http://people.uncw.edu/kozloffm/glubb.pdf

Also try War And Peace And War by Peter Turchin. Fascinating how history repeats itself. People think what's happening now is new. When really it's par for the course.

I'm putting the turchin book in my amazon cart
    Thx

Collapse by Jared Diamond is intriguing as well. I wish I had more time to read his other works. I am oddly attracted to the strange stories of how societies actually collapsed over the course of time. Moreover how in almost every example "our technology will save us this time" seems to be a recurring theme. Makes me wonder if this whole interwebs thing is as good as we think it is.

Cool.

Collapse

Got it, thanks!
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Just started reading "Target Omega" by Peter Kirsanow. He's a new author and this is his first published book, but it's a good one. A military/spy - thriller/mystery that moves at a fast pace with plenty of action and believable characters.
  • Nitroalley2
    Nitroalley2 Posts: 3,419 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Most recently Doctor Sleep - a sequel to the shining.
  • ca1v1n
    ca1v1n Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I read a lot. Just finished the final book in Angus Donald's reimagining of the Robin Hood legend "The Death of Robin Hood". I'm a big sucker for medieval historical fiction. Right before that I finally got around to Neil Gaiman's American Gods. Before that was Wings of the Storm by Giles Kristian (historical fiction again this time about Vikings and a fun series). John Scalzi's Collapsing Empire before that (sci-fi). Currently I'm reading 3 books concurrently. John Doe's 'Under the Big Black Sun' a journal about the punk scene in late 70's Los Angeles; Success of the Brave by Alexander Kent (historical navel fiction set during the Napoleonic wars); and A Book of American Martyrs by Joyce Carol Oates.
  • gfunk1134
    gfunk1134 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living. Amazing book on the science of a low carbohydrate ketogenic diet.
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    Currently reading doomsday book, but next up is the red planet
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Just finished 'American Nations' by Colin Woodard, and now working through his follow-up, 'American Character'.

He has an interesting perspective on what makes America tick. I highly recommend both of these books.
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Currently reading:
    Today Matters by John Maxwell
    Ephesians (part of a Bible study, though I'm not sure if this counts)

Last 3 books read:
    Unshakeable by Tony Robbins
    Quiet by Susan Cain
    The Elements of Investing by Burton G. Malkiel

(I try to mix an occasional fiction read in. I tried Steve Berry's newest, The Lost Order, but lost interest.)

To read:
    (short read) As a Man Thinketh by James Allen
    The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale
    The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    The last four books I've read.

0E7K8vj.jpg

cs1z7iv.jpg

o239yAJ.jpg

zw8as3E.png
  • MrStabbems
    Options
    No judge but I cant stand self health books.
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    MrStabbems wrote: »
    No judge but I cant stand self health books.

Fair. Personal development books (labeled negatively by the book industry as "self-help") aren't for everyone.

But for me personally, I'm an ideas person (as opposed to a people person). So I'm looking for something that will either tell me something useful that I didn't already know, or challenge the way I look at/live my life; otherwise, it's not worth it.

As you can guess, 90% of the books I read are nonfiction. I also like an occasional dystopian novel, or those thriller-type books that blend in historical elements (think Dan Brown).
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I can't read fiction books either. I feel like I'm spinning my wheels. I haven't read fiction in over a decade. I read for work, or I read to learn to do things, and really not much in between. Fiction doesn't hold my attention as much as a "how to" book. Most self help books are "how to" books. IE How to manage time better, how to handle particular social situations, how to handle irrational thoughts and emotions better, etc.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Few more

517dxrEFlTL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

510fB8WHdwL._SX397_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

512jr3LOeJL._SX350_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
  • toned_thugs_n_harmony
    toned_thugs_n_harmony Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    So, I can't read these books cuz I don't have a peniz?

women can't read, remember?
  • MrStabbems
    Options
    So, I can't read these books cuz I don't have a peniz?

women can't read, remember?

If you don't have one how do you prop the books up to read and turn pages????
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Currently reading A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin. It's taken me nearly a year and a half to get through the 5 books. A few breaks here and there admittedly. Epic story! When I'm finished I'll binge watch the GoT series and see how it matches up!

Also reading Charles Darwin's On the Origin of the Species. It's hard work for a non-scientist like me!
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    Options
    why only interested in what men are reading?

Been digging Blake Crouch as of late, and loved Ernest Cline's "Ready Player One" so I'm going to delve into "Armada" soon.