One thing you refuse to sacrifice

Options

Replies

• CurrySpice2016
    CurrySpice2016 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have also not given anything up completely. I would rather have half the amount of "full fat / sugar" food than a larger amount of diet food.

Couldn't you just put milk in your coffee? I'm in the uk and nobody uses creamer here, just fresh milk. I find it completely overpowers the taste of the coffee when I drink it in America. Skimmed milk would be much less calorific I think.
  • aettinger448
    aettinger448 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have also not given anything up completely. I would rather have half the amount of "full fat / sugar" food than a larger amount of diet food.

Couldn't you just put milk in your coffee? I'm in the uk and nobody uses creamer here, just fresh milk. I find it completely overpowers the taste of the coffee when I drink it in America. Skimmed milk would be much less calorific I think.

I have tried milk. I have had American style creamer for so many years now that milk is too bland and thin for my taste. I'm losing at a great pace, about .5-1.0 lbs per week. So I'm not really posting for advice (though I know you're doing so with all good intentions!). I'm more curious if there's anything other people are just not willing to give up. Another one for me is coconut shrimp. If a Chinese buffet is in my near future, I'll budget calories that day to get my "fix".
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I went into this with the thought that if I could not eat like a normal person I would stay fat. What that really means is eating and exercising in a way I can sustain in the world in which I live. .
    I obviously had to change how I ate and drank my calories. I eat mostly the same foods just different quantities or combinations though. I still eat fast food and use the same recipes.
    Logging has really helped me learn how to eat what I like without feeling like there are big sacrifices happening. I think more about adding things to my life rather than taking things away
    I've added more protein and vegetables. I'm not going to eat super low carb, low fat or no sugar.
    I've added more activity. I'm not going to spend hours at a gym daily though.
    I'm not going to give time or money to fad diets, supplements, programs, or shows.
  • CurrySpice2016
    CurrySpice2016 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

I have tried milk. I have had American style creamer for so many years now that milk is too bland and thin for my taste. I'm losing at a great pace, about .5-1.0 lbs per week. So I'm not really posting for advice (though I know you're doing so with all good intentions!). I'm more curious if there's anything other people are just not willing to give up. Another one for me is coconut shrimp. If a Chinese buffet is in my near future, I'll budget calories that day to get my "fix".

Sorry. Was trying to be helpful
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I started using the Atkins French Vanilla protein shake as creamer and I love it - though if you don't want something that's sweet, it may not be for you. I've used others that act funny in hot beverages. Yikes!

Those of you who are going on about your creamer haven't told what kind of creamer is so awesome that you can't give it up! I'm ridiculously curious now :) What do you use?

For me it's not about "what" it is about my coffee...even 10% MF cream is better than milk...18% MF coffee creamer is even better...less sugar needed...but the flavoured is just about me loving my coffee...nothing more.

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I started using the Atkins French Vanilla protein shake as creamer and I love it - though if you don't want something that's sweet, it may not be for you. I've used others that act funny in hot beverages. Yikes!

Those of you who are going on about your creamer haven't told what kind of creamer is so awesome that you can't give it up! I'm ridiculously curious now :) What do you use?

Just off brand French vanilla coffee creamer. Nothing fancy! Lol. I think it's 30 calories for 2 tablespoons. And I have about 4-6 tablespoons spread out across 3-4 cups of coffee. It adds up.

I think a lot of us who are keeping at it have learned to be "budgeters." Like... if you can find a product you like that costs less at another store, you can get more of it! Same idea, just with calories. I have the powdered stuff at work because it doesn't go bad as quickly. I do get the sugar-free French vanilla, which has the same calories as the fat-free kind. My "logic" was that I'd rather have the slow energy release from the fat than the quick punch of energy from sugar.
  • anjalamaria
    anjalamaria Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I refuse to give up pizza. I have it on Fridays at work as my "cheat" (flatbread pizza). Most of the time I will eat one square of the pizza and then scrape off the toppings and eat those alone. We make a pizza casserole at home that will also fix my craving most of the time.

I also refuse to give up Mexican restaurant salsa and queso. I don't need the chips. I don't miss the chips. But I love queso and salsa.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Coffee is mine. I'll eat ground turkey. I'll exercise at night even though I am exhausted. I will give up chips. I'll order spaghetti and only eat half. But coffee with creamer is a hard line. I've tried the almond milk. Yuck. Nope. I thought about using my protein shakes instead of cream. I'm still debating that one.

What's your "one thing" you just can't give up?

I don't give up anything; I eat to fit my macros. Unless you're using a ton of cream every day, it's splitting hairs to think giving that up is going to make a major impact.
  • robertsjm24
    robertsjm24 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Excess calories
  • sydwal
    sydwal Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Chocolate? Easy
    Crisps/potato chips? Never a fan, really
    Chips/Fries? Not a problem
    Alcohol - Now that IS something of a problem :(

I don't drink alcohol in the week but come Friday/Sat I like to unwind with a beer, though not to excess. Kills me on calories, and although I have given it up for months at a time I always go back, especially in the summer months.
  • aettinger448
    aettinger448 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    joemac-
    If I didn't budget that, and I'm getting about 100+ calories per day just in creamer, it would add up. In the long term, 1400 calories per day as opposed to 1500 calories per day would be about 1lb worth in a months time. That may not seem like much but when your goal is 1 lb per week it is worth considering. I think weight loss inherintly has a "splitting hairs" aspect. It all adds up. Now I could, with that logic, add an additional one pound of loss per month by getting rid of my coffee creamer. But my whole point is that my coffee creamer is worth it. I'll take a four pound loss with coffee creamer instead of a five pound loss without it.
  • princess0lexi
    princess0lexi Posts: 3,938 Member
    Options
    yogurt :#
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options

Excess calories

Ha!
  • dianedenning
    dianedenning Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Coffee is mine. I'll eat ground turkey. I'll exercise at night even though I am exhausted. I will give up chips. I'll order spaghetti and only eat half. But coffee with creamer is a hard line. I've tried the almond milk. Yuck. Nope. I thought about using my protein shakes instead of cream. I'm still debating that one.

Popcycles. Outshine Popcycles. Four every night - that's my dinner: 1 strawberry, a grape, 1 tangerine, 1 pineapple. No lectures. 260 calories of bliss.
  • nrimas
    nrimas Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Beer and mayonnaise. I call it the beer and mayonnaise diet, lol. I don't eat cereal, gave up coffee creamer, no soda, very seldom eat out, always pack my lunch. But I'm keepin' my beer and mayonnaise and I have lost 30 pounds!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    On a daily basis? Wine
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Haven't given up anything but I've substituted cream for milk and Splenda for sugar in my coffee. The odd time I do have that 200 calorie double triple lol I eat a lot LESS of things people typically "give up" but on occasion I enjoy them moderately. Sometimes not so moderately but I mean, it's a math formula, so easy enough to figure out what you have to pay back. Ever put something on a credit card? Same concept.
  • CiaIgle
    CiaIgle Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I decided that for certain things are a "all or nothing" choice.

I cannot eat just one or two slices of meat lovers Domino's pizza, I will not be happy. So I gave up that kind of pizza. I cannot trade by a crust with a lot of vegs or similar.

Same happen with nuts, a healthy portion is just too little (15 cashews or so), so no cashews or almonds and so.

Now, with ice cream it was a different story, I found pleasant to have a small portion, so unlike pizza and nuts, I enjoyed ice cream at least twice or three times a week during my weight loss adventure.

Now in maintenance, I am recovering the nuts.