Switched snacks and lost 5 pounds

Options
My mornng snack id always a protein and a carb.

Usually some sort of low fat cheese and high fiber cracker.

While attempting to lower my cholesterol I read that nuts were a good source of protein.

So I switched my snack to a piece of fruit and some sort of nut instead.

Without changing any other habits (I was at a plateau for a very long time) I dropped 5 pounds in a week.

Just thought I would share.

Replies

• Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I need to get some more nuts. Which kind are the best to keep on hand? Almonds?
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    very cool!!
  • shagybear33
    shagybear33 Posts: 272
    Options
    awesome!!!

i just starting eating nuts for snacks again too.

hope it helps me too!

thanks for the post!
  • evilbanks
    evilbanks Posts: 166
    Options
    Nice man..........must feel good! Keep on keepin' on.
  • louiseyanne
    Options
    Excellent!!

Will have to give this ago.

What sort are you eating ?
  • moriaht
    moriaht Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    How many nuts do you eat?
    People always say they keep you full but I am always hungry after a handful...
  • 4Rewards
    4Rewards Posts: 2
    Options
    Fantastic! Way to go!
  • happybrooke
    happybrooke Posts: 153
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder! I always forget about nuts as a snack!
  • leilani♥
    leilani♥ Posts: 579
    Options
    What kind of nut? I usually eat almonds for snack.
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!
    I am practicing my eating schedule for next week when I go back to work teaching...it really helps to have my body regulated to eat/pee on a schedule since I can't just leave my classroom or have a sandwich whenever.
    I have done steel cut oats and a banana in the AM, then 1/4 c of almonds at 9:30...and that has been keeping me full until 12:30. At first I was concerned since they are high in fat and cals, but if it keeps me full it is worth every cal!
    Thanks for sharing, and keep up the hard work!
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for sharing.

I have been enjoying nuts and butters for a while as snacks.. love it! I too leave out the processed carbs...
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Tree nuts are the best for you! Almonds, pistachios, macadamias, nuts like that. Limit yourself to one serving though because they are high in fat, albeit a good fat!!!
  • mynika
    mynika Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Nuts are one of the best snacks, Almonds are yummy
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Great job!

I heard an easy way to measure a serving of nuts is to scoop out a shot glass full. Not that I have that sort of thing around the house! lol:laugh: :blushing:
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    People stay away from nuts as a snack because it's so easy to overeat of them. A serving is just a few of any given nut (peanuts are not nuts). Check the food database for how many nuts of a type to eat for a serving. I tend to use them more for garnishes, because I just don't feel like I get to eat long enough to be satisfied.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Almonds, pinenuts, brazilnuts, pecans, cashews, macadamia, pistachios... Anything raw and organic. To feel full and to get the full health benefits you have to really chew them well.
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I use to do the same thing with the low fat cheese until I actually looked at the the sodium one day. Tons of sodium. Good switch and thanks for the info!
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I buy the almonds at Costco and keep them in the freezer. That way they stay nice and fresh. I take a little container to work for the week.

I think mixing them with a piece of fruit makes it a heartier snack and keeps in line woth the diabetic way of mixing your fat, carb and protein the right way.

I think that's why it worked.
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    I need to get some more nuts. Which kind are the best to keep on hand? Almonds?

That is what I prefer! You can get the no salted kind and they still taste great!
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Wonderful!!! Nuts are a great snack. The results far outweighs the fats that people think they have. They are GOOD fat!!!!! Almonds, and for a sweet little something, Emerald dark cocoa almonds are really yummy!!!! FYI, 24 almonds is 1 oz. or 1 serving.