What gym do you use?

Options
Gaygirl2120
Gaygirl2120 Posts: 541 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
This is of course only for people who have gym memberships......

What gym do you use?
What are the pros & cons of your gym?

I go to Youfit.
Pros
The price for sure.
They are open 24 hours during the week.
Staff is good.
I've been a member for so long that all the regulars know I am not that friendly chatty gym person & so they all leave me alone lol.

Cons
They don't up until 8am on the weekends so if I have an early work shift I can't make it to the gym.
Equipment breaks & sometimes stays that way for too long.

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Retro Fitness.

Pros- I can use it anywhere in the country.
    Price point is great
    Every location I have been to has been clean and fully stocked.

Cons- No real amenities.
    No pool.
    No sauna.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    A local 'chain'.

Pros

It's close to my house
    BABYSITTING
    Hours are alright (5am/11pm week, 7am/7pm week end)
    Family swim times on week ends
    Lots of classes
    Nice trendy treadmills that have games on them
    Lots of machines
    Free sessions with trainer every 6 weeks
    Free nurse evaluation every 8 weeks
    Nice and clean facilities

Cons

Pricey :(
    Not much focus on free weights
    The nurse evaluation are a joke and the body fat % numbers they give you are not accurate (there's no way I'm 22% body fat)
    Closed on major Holidays (at least in the afternoon)
    Music too loud sometimes (been better lately though)

I could go to Planet Fitness... but it's farther, and I really need babysitting during school break. Plus my kids love family swim (when we actually go).
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm a member of two gym's, one is a commercial gym I've been a member of for years called Total Fitness. It has a pool, hydrotherapy pool, steam rooms, saunas, cafe etc. A hell of a lot of equipment but not all of it is that great. Terrible music, near non existent atmosphere, staff have a fit if you take your top off for posing practice, no one puts weights back. One big bonus is the membership is part of my salary and I've been for years so it just feels like 'home'.

Second gym is tiny, dirty, in a basement, equipment is 40 years old and covered in oil and rust. Theres a chalkboard on the wall with days to comp chalked on it. Musics good and if it isn't I can just put my own on the sound system, I have my own keys and can train whenever I want. You don't get weird looks doing posing practice, everyone knows each other and all have similar goals. It's cold AF tho in winter...oh and there's no toilet either!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Everybody Fitness

Pros:
    -$15/month (been part of the chain they bought out in January since 2011)
    -1.5 miles from my house
    -open 24 hours a day during the week
    -lots of amenities
    -can visit other locations
    -section just for women (the previous chain started as women's only until they bought an abandoned Ballys building)

Cons:
    -much of the equipment is left from the Ballys days
    -limited weight selection on the women's side (machines, dumbbells up to 50 pounds, one barbell and bench, Smith machine, leg press)
    -if you go during a peak time the only cardio available is the recumbent bike
  • ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Home gym in my solarium overlooking the pool. Has a treadmill, dumbbells, a Total Gym, some bands, and a punching bag. All I need.
    Cons: Hot as hell in the summer. I just pretend it's a hot yoga studio.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    University gym
    Pros cheap, can go to the one close to work or the one clise to home
    Generally open at times that suit
    Good selection of cardio machines

Cons no classes
  • Gaygirl2120
    Options
    Remember guys I said for people with gym memberships. Not home gyms.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,073 Member
    Options
    Jax2120 wrote: »

Pretty sure it didn't say that before :wink:
  • Steve25k
    Steve25k Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Maybe you start your own thread that doesn't discriminate based on where a gym was born, next thing you know there'll be a wall :)
  • Gaygirl2120
    Options

Lol yes it did. Read the OP
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    LA Fitness
    (weight training 3 sessions/week)

Pros:
    (1) 1-3 minute drive from work
    (2) cheap for me. (boyfriend picked it, and I am on his plan. negotiated them down since I (very clearly) didn't consider their default price worth it. (there are 2 more gyms on that block - and I know what a barbell/plate set and rack cost).
    (3) nice locker room & no kids (unlike the YMCA, where they ran around like animals getting puddle of pool water everywhere). (though honestly, I don't really care that much - I'm used to changing at my car after running/hiking/cycling anyway, but changing in A/C in the summer and heat in the winter those 3 days is nice).
    -
    (4) If you enjoy hampster wheels, they have like a ton of those. Personally, I'd rather run around the building a bunch of times to warm up before stretching and lifting than one of those things. blech.
    (5) If you enjoy classes, they also have like a bunch of those. (which can mean having to tiptoe into the class room if prime hours in order to grab a mat for abs during rests or a step for box jumps).

Cons:
    (1) Have to wait for equipment (squat rack & bench press at the least) if I go after work. I typically take a late lunch break at 2 or 3 pm twice a week or go at 9pm after dancing now (mostly empty with no wait at these times).
    (2) Generally pricy. I would not have been willing to pay their default price.

-Personally, I'm considering setting up a gym at the office to take care of Con #1.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness, price great hours are amazing, lots of equipment not much open space for doing yoga or calisthenics.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    The Great Outdoors

Pros
    Open 24/7
    Great price
    Wide variety of locations
    Wide variety of activity options

Cons
    The climate control is a little questionable sometimes

bwahaha. Love this.

For me, I would, unfortunately, have to add the commute time to the Cons list for my favoured activities and locations. (35 minutes minimum each way to any of the orienteering parks and the good cycling hills). So weekday cardio for me is usually running the city pavement.
  • spartanhollis
    spartanhollis Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    1) Crossfit Box, three to four days a week {Anyone interested in chatting about how they like crossfit?}
    2) Orangetheory, once to twice a week
    3) Traditional gym with classes, pool, weights and aerobic equipment; sporadically during the warmer months
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I go to Orange Theory a few times a week and belong to the YMCA. I also buy passes to CycleBar and another gym in my area with a great spin studio.
  • reichardtjessica
    reichardtjessica Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Holly City Family Center

Pros: close to home, student pricing, tanning (although I haven't tried it yet lol), decent amount of classes, child watch program, pool, friendly staff (for the most part), cardio room is separate from the weights room, hardly ever "busy"

Cons: not very flexible with hours, limited staff, no trainers or people to show you how to use the equipment (new gym member so I was hoping for some help on how to use certain machiens), separate weight room so I can't see how other people use the equipment (too intimidated to step foot in the room with the weights because idk what I would be doing and I don't want to stand there like a weirdo watching random people)
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I miss the YMCA! I liked having my choice of where to go. I liked the family atmosphere. I liked the fact that when you pay for a gym membership at a large chain, the gym tends to hold up its end of the bargain with a sufficient amount of working equipment. It's just the military gym for me nowadays though. Don't get me wrong. I appreciate the free-ness of the thing, but I don't appreciate the very limited amount of equipment that breaks regularly and that doesn't even work properly when it's not what they consider broken. Or the lack of ventilation. Man, it gets hot in there.
  • JulieSHelms
    JulieSHelms Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness

Pros:
    -inexpensive ($10 or $20/month)
    -mine is newly built, so clean and shiny, everything in good working order
    -tons of cardio equipment--I've never not been able to get right on even during peak hours
    -attracts older/overweight people so not intimidating
    -free trainer who I have used a lot
    -open 24/7
    -I use their hydro massage beds and red light booths (has been amazing for reducing some significant scarring I've had for years)

Cons:
    -I have to wait for a weight bench during peak hours
    -I hate their pizza/bagel gimmick once a month
    -no classes or pool

Serious lifters seem to really hate the place but for my use it has been wonderful.