Half marathon- training tips

aurabu
aurabu Posts: 28 Member
Hi all, I will be attempting to run a half marathon at the end of July. The most I 've run until now was 10k but my usual run is a 5k run. Any tips on how to train, how much, how often, when to start, etc? Thank you

Replies

• aimingforjoy
    aimingforjoy Posts: 10 Member
    This is the plan I use and wrote. I tweak it to where I am in training when I sign up for a race. If you run consistently, 8 weeks isn't bad. http://buchorn.com/2017/01/lazy-girls-half-marathon-10-week-training-plan-freebie/
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,730 Member
    If you run only about 10 mpw right now, and only have 8 weeks until your race, you'll probably need to follow a novice plan. You can finish a half on minimal miles, but you will probably end up doing a lot of walking at the end. Higdon's plans are good, especially once you get up into the intermediate levels which include some race pace runs and more miles. A lot of first time racers use his novice plans. Next time if you train with a higher mileage base you'll see a big difference in the result. FWIW, my first HM was on 25 mpw, my second on 35 mpw. I cut off 8 minutes and was able to run the whole thing on my second attempt. It was also a lot more fun.
  • silkennash
    silkennash Posts: 9 Member
    Hey! I've done 4 halfs so far, you may need more time for training, but you are going for it then I suggest anywhere from 25-35 mpw, with your longest run towards the end of your training around 10-11 miles. Hope this helps!
  • Hoshiko
    Hoshiko Posts: 179 Member
    Hal Higdon's novice programs are great. I've had a lot of success with them.

Since you are trying to increase your distance so drastically make sure you're getting enough recovery (that includes sleep). Sometimes it's hard to tell if you're struggling mentally or if you really do need some rest, and people who push themselves too much too soon often end up injured. It's great to check off those training days and push yourself, but make sure you know your limits as well.

Also, make sure you get in that final cutback week before the race. Take it from someone who knows, the last week is not the time to try to cram in distance. It's much better to be slightly undertrained than injured on race day.

• aurabu
    How often do you run and what is your longest consistent run. 8 weeks isn't horrible for a half if you have a solid base. Find a good plan and run with it. Hal Higdon novice plans are really good.

Thank you so much. I run like 3 times per week, 5ks...BP beibg 25.30 minutes. I will check the Hal Higdon, never heard about it
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited May 2017
    aurabu wrote: »
    How often do you run and what is your longest consistent run. 8 weeks isn't horrible for a half if you have a solid base. Find a good plan and run with it. Hal Higdon novice plans are really good.

Thank you so much. I run like 3 times per week, 5ks...BP beibg 25.30 minutes. I will check the Hal Higdon, never heard about it

Going from 3 5ks to half marathon distance is going to be tough. A walk run method to your longer runs is probably a good way to go.

You need to work on increasing the distance of one of your runs into a long run. When was the last time you ran 10k?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

If you're only running 9mpw at the moment I'd suggest a walk/ run method. Say 4-6 minutes run alternating with 1 minute walk throughout.

Given that you should generally avoid increasing your mileage by more than 10% per week you're going to put yourself at some risk of injury in getting to a single 10 mile session in six weeks before tapering down.

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    if not hal higdon - then I recommend Jeff Galloway (run/walk intervals) - he has a half marathon training plan on his website (IIRC) - that method has gotten me through multiple half marathons, a full one and many long triathlons
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member

You probably already know this, but if you are running all of your runs close to that pace, you are probably going to want to slow down. It is unlikely that you will be able to increase your distance to 13.1 miles in 8 weeks while maintaining that pace. In order to increase your endurance, most (or even all, at this point) of your runs should be done at an easy, conversational pace.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Check the novice plans listed above. Get a long run in once per week - slow, and take walking breaks if needed. (Consider it a great success if you average a S~l~o~w jog since it is your first half..you can improve your time on later ones).
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    If you've got good endurance otherwise (guessing you do if you already run 3x a week), I think you'll be fine. My personal experience was: I was on a careful 16 week training program for my first half marathon, and 8 weeks into it I decided to run a different half with a friend. It was hard, and not my best, but I finished and with a good time. Then 8 weeks later I ran my second half and it was actually a worse time due to the course being super crowded and the weather being really hot!! So you never know. I also have had friends who trained only up to 8 miles due to injury/weather and were "fine" for the race. Fine=finished, didn't get sick, were OK with their results.

I would just say do the best you can, and be confident. You can do everything by the book and have it not work out, or you can do your own thing and have a good race.
  • aurabu

Going from 3 5ks to half marathon distance is going to be tough. A walk run method to your longer runs is probably a good way to go.

You need to work on increasing the distance of one of your runs into a long run. When was the last time you ran 10k?

3 , 4 months ago. :(
  • JessM822
    JessM822 Posts: 73 Member
    Just pace yourself. 8 weeks is plenty of time. You have the basics down it sounds like. Personally I would increase your weekly mileage for the next four weeks then do a 13 mile training run in four weeks. Then spend you last 4 weeks fine tuning what your body told you on your 13 mile run. You'll find out the spectators are very motivating, and just being there will motivate you. Once you hit the 10 mile mark you'll get motivated knowing you have only a few miles left. Just slow down your pace during the event. It's your first one, so enjoy it.
  • aurabu
    Thank you all, i wouldn't have had such an insight without you. I have looked at all plans and i have customised one for myself. I have already started increasing my miles (4 today) . I will just aim to finish on my first one and worry about speed at the next one.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Thank you all, i wouldn't have had such an insight without you. I have looked at all plans and i have customised one for myself. I have already started increasing my miles (4 today) . I will just aim to finish on my first one and worry about speed at the next one.

how many miles are you doing for your longest run? the longest i did for my first half was 11, which was fine. don't feel that you need to have done the distance pre race. trying to do 13 miles in 4 weeks time is bad advice IMO.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    JessM822 wrote: »
    Just pace yourself. 8 weeks is plenty of time. You have the basics down it sounds like. Personally I would increase your weekly mileage for the next four weeks then do a 13 mile training run in four weeks. Then spend you last 4 weeks fine tuning what your body told you on your 13 mile run. You'll find out the spectators are very motivating, and just being there will motivate you. Once you hit the 10 mile mark you'll get motivated knowing you have only a few miles left. Just slow down your pace during the event. It's your first one, so enjoy it.

I think that is asking for injury. To push from 3 miles to 13 in a 4 week time frame.

Like @MeanderingMammal said. You'd be better off adapting one of the Hal Higdon plans or the maybe the Bupa plan.

Good luck
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I don't know anything about Hal Higdon or any of those other plans (I'm ignorant) but it sounds like people have had success with it, so check those out and see if it looks like something you could use. I just have my own little advice below. But if it's a TL;DR situation, just skip right to the Hal Higdon plan and ignore my long essay below. LOL.

IMO, if you have been able to do a 10k in the recent past, you have enough background to be able to build to a half marathon within a couple of months. You'll just have to push yourself a little harder on race day. It might not be your best pace ever, but you should be able to finish. You aren't trying to win it, right? ;)

See if you can get 10 miles in on one training run 6 or 7 weeks from now. If you can do that, sheer mental will carry you the rest of the way on race day. And don't overtrain to try and make up for lost time. I personally only run 2-3 days a week so I have plenty of recovery time in between. You are already starting with an aggressive goal. I'd say it's better to run less and save it for the race than to overtrain and injure yourself. (I've done that before.) And I don't think you need to do the full 13 miles until race day, either. I've never done the full length of any race except on race day. (I like to think of the race as pushing myself that extra little bit beyond my training.) And don't do your long training run 4 weeks in unless you are really feeling it. I'd take those couple extra weeks to build up a little more first. Going from 3 miles to 13 in just 4 weeks would work for me, but it might not be the best idea for everyone. Don't want you to get hurt...Try 3 miles to 10 in 6-7 weeks instead.

I think you've got this! Well, then again, maybe that's just me. I speak for myself. I recently took a couple of months off of my normal running routine (which was about 5 miles once or twice a week plus long hikes) because I was busy with work. I did almost no running during that time period, and when I started up again I did 11.5 miles the first time out, no problem. I was much slower than usual, but I got it done without injury or stress. Just a little sore the next day. I definitely could have gone 13 if I had to. That's kind of my M.O. when it comes to running. I am a big slacker for extended periods, but when I set a goal and come back at it I seem to do OK. I think you'll do OK, too!

(I'm the idiot who didn't prep properly for my first marathon a million years ago. The longest training run I did was 16 miles because I was lazy as hell. I managed to pull it off, but was I ever sorry on race day. I struggled hard during the last half and I felt broken for a week afterwards! So I wouldn't recommend doing that! It won't be as grueling with a half, though...)

Good luck! B)