Moved two years ago, no friends, gaining weight

2»

Replies

• Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    I think that we all go through points and moves in our life where we don't have a huge friend/family circle. Every time I've been through it I put on the pounds.

This last time I decided that I wasn't going to do that. I joined a gym and went there for me and only me to workout like a maniac to distract myself. It took four months of those people seeing me every single day for someone to chat with me but I didn't mind because I was killing it and gaining so much confidence. So minus today when I thought I was being "checked out" and getting home to find I look like a complete circus clown from my gallons of sweat and non waterproof mascara...I find it easier to meet people.

Take this time of "lack of noise" to build you into a stronger you. Everything will fall into place.

Friend me if you'd like.
  • kikkipoo wrote: »
    I don't go to church. I'm agnostic and liberal. That's the probably my biggest setback in meeting people in the most conservative bible belt of America. I live in the Dallas area.

Howdy! I'm liberal, atheist, but luckily I'm in Portland, Oregon. Though I grew up in the Midwest and know what it's like be surrounded by pretty decent people but you just don't quite click. I'd love to be a support friend on here.
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    I hear you, it is hard meeting friends as an adult. Especially when work and kids take up a lot of your time. I'm trying classes to get out there. I live near my hometown so my good friends are all around here, I can't imagine the difficulty of relocating where you don't know anybody.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Hi! I moved from Seattle back to my home state of Michigan. While I love it here, I now remember vividly why I moved in the first place--I don't really fit in all that well even when I try to. Though friendly and neighborly, I'm finding it it difficult to make friends on a level any deeper than exchanging pleasantries/jokes/have-a-good-one's. It is tough; I totally feel you and am right there with you.

I've abandoned social media because the interactions feel... I don't know... weird to me. Ungenuine, like people build these artifices about a version of themselves. And then the there's the obligatory squabbling. That's not the kind of thing I want to be a part of, and I counterintuitively feel a lot less lonely without it. I recommend scrapping it if you don't like it.

I've volunteered for things I care about (Pride, film festivals, etc.) but have still have not managed to meet anyone I have anything in common with. I think it must be just a matter of time and keeping one's chin up. Let's keep on trying, huh? :)
  • LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    Here's a possible meet-up, in Allen, TX: https://www.meetup.com/Allen-Tai-Chi-for-Wellness/

In Denton: https://www.meetup.com/Walking-Socializing/

In Frisco: https://www.meetup.com/FREE-DanceFit-Workouts-Zumba/

These are just a start...and go fig, nothing in Melissa itself...sorry 'bout that.

I was stationed in San Antonio many moons ago, but enjoyed visiting DFW (except for the crazy traffic.) I joined a meet-up group in my current city and made *awesome friends* but it is along the nerd/geek line; however, eventually, I hope to join some outdoorsy meet-ups. Being in a college town, it's pretty easy to find liberal/liberal-leaning people, so maybe you can find some resources via the colleges/universities. Be brave...you can do it!! :smile:
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    kikkipoo wrote: »
    I don't go to church. I'm agnostic and liberal. That's the probably my biggest setback in meeting people in the most conservative bible belt of America. I live in the Dallas area.

Try the Unitarian Universalists or Ethical Society in your area. You will find many like minded people there.
  • BenTheTransman
    BenTheTransman Posts: 11 Member
    If anyone wants some trans friends, feel free to add me
  • StacywithaY
    StacywithaY Posts: 117 Member
    edited June 2017

I moved from TX to the west coast and also feel out of my element in a similar, but reversed :wink: situation. Pretty much everyone I know are fruity hippies, and that's okay. I've learned there's a lot more to folks than their political persuasions. Maybe try being more open to people who are different than you. You might be surprised. Yes, there's extremes in every bunch, but I'm pretty sure they're the exception no matter where you go. Dallas is a huge city. Maybe look for other transplants, they may be in the same boat as you.

But I think you hit the nail on the head when you said making new friends as an adult is just plain tough, no getting around it.
  • Betty
    Betty Posts: 8,812 MFP Staff
    Dear Posters,

This discussion has been cleaned up. Please stay on topic and avoid turning the discussion political.

With respect,
    Betty
    MyFitnessPal Staff
  • kikkipoo
    kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
    Betty wrote: »
    Dear Posters,

This discussion has been cleaned up. Please stay on topic and avoid turning the discussion political.

With respect,
    Betty
    MyFitnessPal Staff

Thank you and apologies. Was not my intent.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I'm getting ready to move back to California this summer (I went to grad school at UC Irvine and will be moving to Monterey). That's not much help to you in Texas, but feel free to add me :)
  • stef0114
    stef0114 Posts: 244 Member
    Last year I was going through the exact same thing. We moved from West Virginia to North Carolina for my husband's work. I didn't have a job, friends, or family. I started getting really depressed. I ended up gaining about 30 lbs and didn't ever want to get out of bed.

I downloaded the Meetup App and started going groups that seemed interesting. I meet a group of people every Thursday night for coffee and crochet. It has gotten me out of my slump enough that I started working out and eating better. I'm down. Almost 18 lbs in the last 6 weeks.

It gets better. Just put yourself out there and it will be fine.

That's crazy - my husband and I just moved from WV to NC last year for work too! We have no friends or family in the area so it's been really tough - and with that came some weight gain.
    You're definitely not alone!