I walked three miles (7500 steps) and Fitbit/MFP only gave me a 40 calorie adjustment?? What gives?

Options
13»

Replies

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

[2] ..and who needs a shower after a piddly 10 minute run? Maybe make that a 4.5 mile run allowing15 minutes to change and blot makeup.

Ooooo me me pick me

I start sweating quite early on runs, by 15 minutes in on numerous occasions ive had people ask if im ok because i go a deep red colour and im dripping. One assumed i was heading for a heart attack

Some of us are just sweaty exercisers
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm about to go for a walk and will be testing how many steps i do in a mile (1.6kms), I'm 5"8. I'm curious how it will compare to you guys, and other women my height.

Here tis:

2,333 steps per 1 mile. 140 calories burnt (gross). This is assuming my fitbit is spot on... :huh:

I do have a question for you all. 1 mile took me 19-20 minutes to walk. Is this slow/average??
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    You might want to adjust your stride on Fitbit... 3 miles is usually 2000 steps... unless you're very short?

One mile is typically between 2000 and 2500 depending on your stride. 7500 for 3 miles sounds about right. I have a long stride so I usually get a mile at about 2100 steps.

I guess I must have a very long stride because it only takes me about 1700 steps to walk a mile and I'm only 5'6".

I tested mine several ways and it comes out to 28.8"

Test 1: walk 20 steps and measure the distance covered
    Test 2: measure out 20 feet and see how many strides
    Test 3: Use a GPS walking app like map my walk and see how many steps in takes you to go a mile. I did this one about 10 times going different distances and took the average.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    I'm about to go for a walk and will be testing how many steps i do in a mile (1.6kms), I'm 5"8. I'm curious how it will compare to you guys, and other women my height.

1 mile took me 19-20 minutes to walk. Is this slow/average??

It is considered a moderate pace. You are doing 3 mph.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Here tis:

2,333 steps per 1 mile. 140 calories burnt (gross). This is assuming my fitbit is spot on... :huh:

I do have a question for you all. 1 mile took me 19-20 minutes to walk. Is this slow/average??

3 mph is a relaxed pace for me. When I am walking specifically for exercise, I generally do 3.5 easily, but try to keep it closer to 4.0.
  • Loug1983
    Loug1983 Posts: 89 Member
    Options

Here tis:

It's pretty much average, I'm a quick walker with presumably a shorter stride (5'4") and I do it in about 18 minutes.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    [1] As far as fitting a workout into a specified time period, a 3 mile walk would be better compared to a 6 mile run (if you don't need to be polished afterward, or..).

[2] ..and who needs a shower after a piddly 10 minute run? Maybe make that a 4.5 mile run allowing15 minutes to change and blot makeup.

[3] If people are getting the steps and "miles walked" values from a step tracker they've been wearing all day, than the step number will (obviously) include every time they moved their arm along with any pacing/small steps (not just full walking strides). FYI- my walking stride is ~0.8-0.85 m (so ~1900-2000 steps/mile), my running stride is ~1.05 m.

Yah no it doesn't. I tested it on mine and since i have a fitbit it is safe to say other fitbits are the same.

As well if you go for a "purposeful" walk it will show the impact on the total day so it's easy enough to know how many strides per mile you are getting (give or take)

I am thinking you are not that educated on activity trackers.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    [1] As far as fitting a workout into a specified time period, a 3 mile walk would be better compared to a 6 mile run (if you don't need to be polished afterward, or..).

[3] If people are getting the steps and "miles walked" values from a step tracker they've been wearing all day, than the step number will (obviously) include every time they moved their arm along with any pacing/small steps (not just full walking strides). FYI- my walking stride is ~0.8-0.85 m (so ~1900-2000 steps/mile), my running stride is ~1.05 m.

You are assuming that everyone is wearing a step tracker on their arm. That would be incorrect. My tracker does NOT track arm movements, only steps.

As far as showers, my lunch hour is my cardio. I assure you that if I run, or do a gym/cardio workout for 30 minutes, I will be much too sweaty to go back to work without a shower. Perhaps you work alone.

Assumptions. :|
  • earlnabby
    Options

2 mph (30 minute mile)= slow
    2.5 mph (25 minute mile)= leisurely
    3 mph (20 Minute mile)= moderate
    3.5 mph (17:30 minute mile)= brisk
    4 mph (15 minute mile) = very brisk

Re: running vs walking a mile. For most, the calories burned difference is not that great so do whichever you prefer. Time wise, running definitely burns more calories per hour or you can get your mile done in much less time.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Re: running vs walking a mile. For most, the calories burned difference is not that great so do whichever you prefer. Time wise, running definitely burns more calories per hour or you can get your mile done in much less time.

There is a crossover point.. and it's around 4.5-5mph walking burns as many(or more) calories than running at the same pace.

http://www.runnersworld.com/peak-performance/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options

Here tis:

How tall are you? For me an 18min mile is a pretty slow pace, but for my 5.1 mom that's pretty fast. I do actually have a particularly long stride and I hustle (ex-New Yorker) so for me a leisurely mile is 15min (4.0 on the treadmill). For me to get any cardio benefit I have to push it up to a 4.4 or a 4.5, or add a significant incline at 4.2.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I think MFP considers that moderate.

I consider 3 mph to be my leisurely, I don't really want to exercise or sweat today so I'll just go for a stroll pace. A typical moderate exercise pace for me is 4mph. And if I'm really focused on it, I go faster. Back when I was actually in decent shape, 4mph was my go-for-a-stroll pace. But back when I used to run/walk marathons, I walked faster than I ran.

• earlnabby
    edited June 2017
    Options

There is a crossover point.. and it's around 4.5-5mph walking burns as many(or more) calories than running at the same pace.

http://www.runnersworld.com/peak-performance/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn

True. The point is that if someone does not like to run, there is no reason why they shouldn't walk instead. Get your miles in whatever way is better for you, the calorie burn difference is insignificant enough for the same distance. Running is not the be-all of calorie burn.

I like to swim my mile. At my slow breaststroke pace (1 mph) I burn close to 3 times as many calories as walking the same distance as 3 mph
  • Christine_72
    Options

Here tis:

How tall are you? For me an 18min mile is a pretty slow pace, but for my 5.1 mom that's pretty fast. I do actually have a particularly long stride and I hustle (ex-New Yorker) so for me a leisurely mile is 15min (4.0 on the treadmill). For me to get any cardio benefit I have to push it up to a 4.4 or a 4.5, or add a significant incline at 4.2.

I'm 5"8. And here i was thinking i was smashing it in lol I do laps around my house, we have a huge block so there's corners to negotiate which slows me down i guess.
    Plus i walk in thongs (flip flops) or slippers (it's cold winter here now). I might put on my sneakers and do a road walk and see if there's a time difference.
  • KWlosingit
    KWlosingit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to think there is a Fitbit/MFP sync issue. This happened to me last Monday 11K steps for 87 calories,Tuesday I did the same 12K steps for 297 calories. All steps were earned just walking around during day to day tasks, same activity setting both days (lightly active). Monday I was off work, Tuesday I was at work (desk job). There has to be a technical issue of their many people are experiencing the same thing.

My fitbit one seems to know if I am walking fast or slow so i get a different amount of calories for walking that is just cruising and more calories if I am really moving out quickly. So that might be your difference in calories for the same steps.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    KWlosingit wrote: »
    I'm starting to think there is a Fitbit/MFP sync issue. This happened to me last Monday 11K steps for 87 calories,Tuesday I did the same 12K steps for 297 calories. All steps were earned just walking around during day to day tasks, same activity setting both days (lightly active). Monday I was off work, Tuesday I was at work (desk job). There has to be a technical issue of their many people are experiencing the same thing.

My fitbit one seems to know if I am walking fast or slow so i get a different amount of calories for walking that is just cruising and more calories if I am really moving out quickly. So that might be your difference in calories for the same steps.

with my misfit, i get bonus points for sustained efforts... so.. 2-3 minutes, just steps 10-15..there's an activity recorded... and 30+ the activity gets a boost of some sort... basically if you string 2000 or so steps together without a stop it decides you're doing purposeful activity even if you don't record an activity..

I imagine fitbit does something similar
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Here tis:

@Christine_72 I'm 175 cm (5ft 9.5in) and I've measured my walking and I'm about 83 cm per step.

A normal walk for exercise takes me 10 minutes per km. A fast walk for me is 8 min 30 seconds per km (on the flat).
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

Here tis:

@Christine_72 I'm 175 cm (5ft 9.5in) and I've measured my walking and I'm about 83 cm per step.

A normal walk for exercise takes me 10 minutes per km. A fast walk for me is 8 min 30 seconds per km (on the flat).

My stride length is on the default setting on fitbit, which is 71cm. I should measure it myself, to double check.

• earlnabby
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

Here tis:

My stride length is on the default setting on fitbit, which is 71cm. I should measure it myself, to double check.

Make sure you check it several ways and take an average:

Test 1: walk 20 steps and measure the distance covered

Test 2: measure out 20 feet (or 10 meters or whatever short distance works best for your calculations)and see how many strides

Test 3: Use a GPS walking app like Map My Walk along with your step counter and see how many steps it takes you to go a mile (or km). I did this one about 10 times going different distances and took the average.
  • JeanieWww
    JeanieWww Posts: 4,037 Member
    Options
    Title pretty much says it all. I decided I should get some exercise in today so my friend and I walked all over town, about three miles in total. Now I'm not super used to being that active and I feel really hungry but MFP only gave me a 40 calorie adjustment for my walk. I swear a few months ago when I was tracking I would get roughly 100 calories per 2,000 steps, and from what I've read this sounds accurate. What gives? Has something changed in the way they calculate the adjustment? I looked it up and I can't seem to find any answers. Maybe I'm just very wrong about everything, I don't know but I'm really disappointed, if I only get 40 calories for that then I'm over my calories by a few hundred already.

I've had it do this before, too. I went back and re entered the numbers and waited. Apparently there was lag, and it was only "reading" the first number of the minutes I entered. I waited a few minutes and retried it. It gave me the correct amount then.