Shakeology

jglhklhgl
jglhklhgl Posts: 41 Member
Shakeology vs other protein shakes. How does it compare with regular protein shakes? Is it worth the price? Any alternatives that are just as effective?

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    It's more of a meal replacement than a protein shake, and in terms of amount of protein, it's not anything spectacular. I haven't tried it, but pretty much everyone I knew who did either really liked it or hated it, there wasn't any in between. Those who liked it did have to add a bunch of stuff to it, which kind of defeated the purpose when trying to be in a calorie deficit in my mind.

I don't really do protein shakes anymore because I'm hitting protein just fine with food, but I did like Syntha-6 vanilla ice cream flavor, although I didn't love the calorie count. I also tried Optimum Nutrition Gold French Vanilla Creme, and Dymatize Nutrition, both the ISO 100 Vanilla Creme and the Whey and Casein Elite Vanilla Creme. All of the above I added milk, not water.

I also went insane for a short period of time and thought that making recipes with protein powder was a good idea. It never was, yet I kept doing it thinking something would change. "Hey, if I add some of this to Greek yogurt, it'll be double the protein!" No. Just no.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited June 2017
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I also went insane for a short period of time and thought that making recipes with protein powder was a good idea. It never was, yet I kept doing it thinking something would change. "Hey, if I add some of this to Greek yogurt, it'll be double the protein!" No. Just no.

I am 100% in love with making protein fluff right now. You basically just whip your protein powder and a small amount of low-fat milk product (I use unsweetened almond) in a Kitchenaide mixer until it becomes a big bowl of fluffy marshmallow-like Protein mousse. It's basically like making a 'solid' protein shake, makes a great dessert.

• Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    I was replacing my breakfast with Shakeology for a while, because I was running out of time to eat. I switched to Garden of Life Raw FIT meal replacement shakes and am just as happy. The price is about 1/3 of the price of Shakeology.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,243 Member
    Shakeology is just a waste of $$.

Why are you looking for by using it or something like it? That would help people suggest other options for you. Is it just the protein?
  • jglhklhgl
    I guess I'm looking for both? So would it be better if I bought a protein shake and add a greens supplement into it? I'm doing a beach body program and they're insisting shakeology but I can't fathom spending over 100 bucks in protein shakes a month
  • jglhklhgl
    I eat a pretty high protein diet so is it pointless to do shakes?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Find out what you want, and why, and whether what you're considering, will provide you with that.
  • jglhklhgl
    I've read reviews on the shakes. People rave about how much energy it gives them and how it helped them accomplish their weight-loss goals. I have a coach from beach body saying that I should get into it. I guess I'm just wondering is it some type a super drink or is it just a regular protein shake and it's overpriced because it's "in right now".
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    jglhklhgl wrote: »
    I've read reviews on the shakes. People rave about how much energy it gives them and how it helped them accomplish their weight-loss goals. I have a coach from beach body saying that I should get into it. I guess I'm just wondering is it some type a super drink or is it just a regular protein shake and it's overpriced because it's "in right now".

definitely not a superdrink...more like an overpriced sales pitch that they are trying to make $$$$ off of..

^^This...They (beachbody and the "coach") are just trying to sell you a product you don't need to make $$.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    I guess I'm looking for both? So would it be better if I bought a protein shake and add a greens supplement into it? I'm doing a beach body program and they're insisting shakeology but I can't fathom spending over 100 bucks in protein shakes a month

FWIW, I've done a few BB programs, and I have always found their recommended dietary plans to be completely off for my needs. I've had much better luck using the MFP calculations. I think if you are going high protein, there are better options out there that will give your more protein bang for your calorie buck. I personally don't think it is worth the money.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    kgeyser wrote: »

FWIW, I've done a few BB programs, and I have always found their recommended dietary plans to be completely off for my needs. I've had much better luck using the MFP calculations. I think if you are going high protein, there are better options out there that will give your more protein bang for your calorie buck. I personally don't think it is worth the money.

Quoted - and bolded - for truth. I did P90X a while back. I tried following their diet plan for me - I got fat(ter). I ate less than what they recommended and got leaner, while improving my performance on the workout plan.

• ziggypop93
    ziggypop93 Posts: 133 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Of course the "coach" says that. Because they make money from you buying their overpriced shakes. They also will hope to solicit you into becoming a "coach" (which is actually nothing but a salesperson, they have no training to be actual coaches), which makes them more money because you're part of their downline. That's how multi-level marketing works.

Here's an objective look at Snakeoilogy from a pharmacist:
    http://pharmadaddy.blogspot.ca/2013/07/shakeology-shaking-up-its-foundations.html?m=1

As far as their claim of their snake oil containing "superfoods", that's BS too:
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/superfoods/?awt_l=BV.g9&awt_m=3gv.Upbtrx0ExV5

All it takes to become a "coach" for BB is money. There is no nutritional education requirements, which if you are giving nutritional advice, you should probably have quite a bit of education. I have a lot of friends who have gotten sucked in to become coaches, and I wouldn't trust their advice as far as I can throw them because they have no background in nutrition. It's a sales pitch and a pyramid scheme (sorry, multi-level marketing...)
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited June 2017

If you're already hitting your protein goals through your food plan (and good for you!), adding extra (expensive) protein shakes won't do a thing for your health or fitness.

eta: Especially if you're thinking of replacing protein in food with protein from a shake.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator

If you are getting .6 to 1g of pro/lb of bw, you are good and don't need a supplement.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

your "coach" is telling you to get it because he makes money off selling it to you.

You can meet all your fitness goals and never use shakeology or beach body products...