Lol someone told me - Running makes you old...

Options
Fatvaporizer
Fatvaporizer Posts: 139 Member
edited June 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I just found it silly that someone actually said that running isn't good because it makes you look older. He's obese by the way. So obviously that's why he said that. But then I looked it up just for fun, and maybe a few articles say the same thing. But then a ton others say the opposite, that running or exercising makes you look AND feel younger.

How is it possible right? Running or exercising should make someone look younger. I don't know why these people love being anti-exercise.

Replies

• JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Someone once said that to me, too. She was convinced that running and the jiggling and gravity and whatnot was going to cause excess wrinkles.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    That's weird- the only thing I "might" think is that with any prolonged outdoor activities, proper sun/wind protection and skin care are important. But that is not specific to running at all.

Most runners I know at varying ages look younger to me than they really are. So I think some people just want to come up with any excuse to allow for unhealthy habits. Their loss, not mine.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I've heard things like that. Loose skin on your face will make you look older. The sun makes you look older. yadda, yadda, yadda. And excuse not to do what should be done.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have baby soft skin and I'm in my fifties. From my observation, smoking and tanning make a person look older. Smiling gives you smile wrinkles. I consider smile wrinkles to be badges of honour.

Moderate exercise, including walking and running, give you a young heart.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Personally I think the weight loss in my face: makes my face look 'older'. But I didn't start running til after I hit maintenance so can't blame that.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Two things make you look old:
    Smoking
    Sun

Runners shouldn't be smokers. But take care of your skin!

I guess a couple more too: having kids, stress, loosing volume out of the face (goon from a fat face to a skinny face and loose skin)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    Two things make you look old:
    Smoking
    Sun

Runners shouldn't be smokers. But take care of your skin!

I guess a couple more too: having kids, stress, loosing volume out of the face (goon from a fat face to a skinny face and loose skin)

I always put sun cream on my face if I'm running for more than half an hour
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I do wonder if the pounding will eventually take its toll on the joints and cause joint problems or overuse injuries...
  • WhitneyDurham777
    WhitneyDurham777 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My skin is a bit beat up from so much time spent outdoors. I wish that I had been better about sunblock when I was younger. Still sometimes I don't get complete coverage and end up paying for it. Didn't get my shoulders very good last weekend and ended up with a nasty tan line. Taking care of your skin is real.
  • mskimee
    mskimee Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I heard that too! Someone said it makes you look weathered cos the sun, wind burn etc. I'd suggest a good moisturizer and sun screen if you're worried. I can't really say, I prefer the treadmill and being inside.
  • Fatvaporizer
    Fatvaporizer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Haven't you noticed that runners and exercisers usually look younger?
  • jusjoking
    jusjoking Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    the only specific thing I could say about it is that running IS a high impact thing on the feet/knees etc. Some people simply cant handle running. of course though, exercise keeps us all younger and functioning better etc etc
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    You know what really makes people look old? Ill health. And, in a lot of cases, fat. Go take a look at the thread below. You won't have to read too many pages to find someone replying (to before/after photos) something like "you look so much younger" or "your after photo could be your before photo's son/daughter".

PHOTO ONLY SUCCESS STORIES!

Running per se? +1 to those saying most runners looking younger than others their age. Yeah, there could be overuse injuries. It's clear there are long-term 'injuries' from too much inactivity (at any weight). Pick your poison!

It's all about having an excuse, coupled with the false notion that taking any action is more risky than not taking action.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    They're probably referring to oxidative stress which is beneficial to the average person who exercises. It's only when someone over-exerts themselves over a long period that it can impair immune function. Ex. Ultramarathon runner who trains in Arizona

Basically eat colorful fruits and veggies, exercise smartly, and relax.