Who has actually lost a significant amount of weight using only CICO?

Options
I am interested in hearing from those who have lost a significant amount of weight 60+lbs, using only the CICO method? how long did this take you?
Not wanting stories of people you know, or if you lost 20lbs - I wan't to hear from those who were actually able to significantly change their lives using CICO.

Replies

• Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    yes, my original post say using ONLY CICO.

So, not clean eating, working out daily, etc... strictly CICO.
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    As others have said, everyone loses weight losing CICO. Even if they're doing keto or Weight Watchers or weight loss surgery, the way we lose weight is by consuming fewer calories than we burn.

If you're asking about calorie counting, I lost 40+ pounds calorie counting. When I realized I could eat whatever I wanted as long as I was hitting my calorie goals, I was able to defeat the cycle of restricting too much/eliminating foods and then binges. For the first time in my adult life, I felt like I was in control of my weight. I've been maintaining my weight loss for almost two years. It's not always easy to hit a calorie goal, but it's always simple and that's what I like about this method.

Thank you for the only helpful answer. Yes I guess "calorie counting" is what I was getting at? although I assumed they were the same.

So if I allow myself 1200 calories a day, it doesn't matter how I get those calories, as long as I don't go over?

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    As others have said, everyone loses weight losing CICO. Even if they're doing keto or Weight Watchers or weight loss surgery, the way we lose weight is by consuming fewer calories than we burn.

If you're asking about calorie counting, I lost 40+ pounds calorie counting. When I realized I could eat whatever I wanted as long as I was hitting my calorie goals, I was able to defeat the cycle of restricting too much/eliminating foods and then binges. For the first time in my adult life, I felt like I was in control of my weight. I've been maintaining my weight loss for almost two years. It's not always easy to hit a calorie goal, but it's always simple and that's what I like about this method.

Thank you for the only helpful answer. Yes I guess "calorie counting" is what I was getting at? although I assumed they were the same.

So if I allow myself 1200 calories a day, it doesn't matter how I get those calories, as long as I don't go over?

Correct. You'll do better if you make sure you get good quality protein and fat, But in the last 30 pounds, I've lost weight and eaten pizza, Mcdonald's, Chick-Fil-a, Candy, Cookies, etc.

I was exceptionally bad yesterday... despite my best efforts, I only netted 800 calories... I ate... almost 2900... but I had a fairly aggressive walk/run afternoon... and by the time I hit dinner I was negative...
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Bingo! I lost about 45 just with calorie counting. I've started working out just recently. But yeah, having a deficit is all that matters for weight loss. How you achieve that deficit affects general health, fitness, and whether or not you can stick with it.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 90 pounds in about a year and kept it off almost 2 years. I've never had restrictions on any specific foods or macronutrients. The first 75 or so was just walking and counting calories. I did eventually start running and then lifting because I wanted to, not to lose weight.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I lost 50+ using CICO. Started at 178 end of Dec 2013 and reached 130 October 1 2014. Hit 128 October 11th 2014 and have (mostly) been maintaining between 123-128 since. I say mostly because I did put on 10-12 gradually during 2016, and took it back off between Jan-Mar of this year. By 'officially' putting myself back into a deficit mindset, rather than telling myself "I'll just eat a little less for the next few weeks'.

My heaviest was ~15-20 pounds higher, but like many others I made a few efforts between 2003 and 2013 where I'd lose 5-10 and then lose steam.

What is different for me now vs those other times? I pay attention to both sides of the equation. CO is just as important for me as CI. Because if I did not make the effort to be active, and to walk/run daily, then my TDEE would be pretty low. So I don't allow myself to be a couch potato. I need to get a regular routine of strength training going - have been saying that for quite a while now - but in general my activity/exercise is walking and/or running. Nothing terribly structured. I don't do classes. I don't go to a gym. I do have a treadmill, and dogs to walk.

I do think technology has been helpful to me. In the 2003-2013 era, I used various tracking websites (at least for part of the attempts) but having MFP as a phone app is much more convenient than logging into a computer. I have also added food scales and fitness trackers to my toolbox, and other apps that keep me moving. I use Pact and Stepbet, which means I lose money if I don't hit my goals. THAT is a real motivator!

I know there are many fads and 'styles' of eating out there, and some find them useful. I did once try low carb, that actually was my first ever attempt at dieting. I like meat and cheese lol. I even once bought some energy booster/appetite suppressant supplements which did nothing. But in general I'm cheap and like free stuff, and I consider myself a logical person and the whole concept of 3500 calories = 1 pound and CICO appeal to me.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50 pounds this way - I guess that's not enough?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I lost twenty pounds by accurately counting my intake. I tried for many years to lose but I discovered I couldn't outrun my fork. CICO.