Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Chazzlette wrote: »
    Yea I agree I was a bit dramatic there but I don't know how else to word it haha. I have cut sugar out for the most part as I'm not a fan, and most time I can resist any urges to eat when I bake, but literally as soon as I do I feel this way. Today I had flapjack and I honestly thought I was going to throw up I could barely walk home, but drinking lots of water seems to help. Maybe its a sugar rush?

It sounds more psychological to me. It's perfectly natural for tastes to change but to feel physically ill over a flapjack isn't natural.

This was my thought too.

My tastes have definitely changed (I think more with becoming an adult and a more adventurous eater), and I find I tend to crave foods I eat so if I'm eating lots of "healthy" foods that's what I tend to want when I'm hungry and thinking of foods to eat (which is basically what I think of a craving--where your mind goes and what you are hungry for). However, even when I'm eating sweets or added sugar quite rarely I don't find that having a cookie or piece of pie or something makes me feel bad, at all, and I can't think of any physical reason why it would. Now, overeating might, but that's not what you are talking about, so dunno. Unless you have some food intolerance you weren't aware of, but that wouldn't be so vague as "junk food."

Agreed. I also don't see how having a flapjack (singular pancake) is going to cause any sort of intestinal distress. Sugar rush wouldn't make you feel like you are going to throw up. Either psychological or some other ailment that is being blamed because of the timing of this.

When people post things like this, it makes me really glad that I never took such a restrictive approach that foods I loved to eat either became less enjoyable, or made me physically ill after cutting them out. That doesn't seem like something to aspire to - why not just add in more nutrient dense foods and try to eat a variety of things so that you have more foods to choose from and build your diet (noun) around - not an approach where foods become less pleasurable because you've removed them from your diet?

I'm probably being thick but what does "Singular pancake" mean?

Agree with the rest of your post.

Google answered for me.

Seems our UK flap jacks are very, very different to the US flapjack/pancake.

Ours are like 450 calorie stodge slabs made of oats in melted butter with a *kitten* ton of sugar.I love a flap jack. It is nothing like what we call a pancake which is a batter.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1205637/flapjack

Ahhh, that's interesting! I remember we had the thread with the different food names for different regions... I didn't think about the geographical slant on this. I was envisioning:

hot-flapjacks-syrup-4847770.jpg

And that's why I was questioning if it was just one single pancake! Looking at the image I grabbed, I'm wondering who puts a flower next to their stack of flapjacks... Won't it get sticky with the syrup!?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    This thread reminds me why I despise the term "junk food". It's a newspeak term designed to produce negative emotions about perfectly good food that the right people tell us we shouldn't eat.

Agreed. Makes me cringe every time I see it.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Yea I agree I was a bit dramatic there but I don't know how else to word it haha. I have cut sugar out for the most part as I'm not a fan, and most time I can resist any urges to eat when I bake, but literally as soon as I do I feel this way. Today I had flapjack and I honestly thought I was going to throw up I could barely walk home, but drinking lots of water seems to help. Maybe its a sugar rush?

It sounds more psychological to me. It's perfectly natural for tastes to change but to feel physically ill over a flapjack isn't natural.

This was my thought too.

My tastes have definitely changed (I think more with becoming an adult and a more adventurous eater), and I find I tend to crave foods I eat so if I'm eating lots of "healthy" foods that's what I tend to want when I'm hungry and thinking of foods to eat (which is basically what I think of a craving--where your mind goes and what you are hungry for). However, even when I'm eating sweets or added sugar quite rarely I don't find that having a cookie or piece of pie or something makes me feel bad, at all, and I can't think of any physical reason why it would. Now, overeating might, but that's not what you are talking about, so dunno. Unless you have some food intolerance you weren't aware of, but that wouldn't be so vague as "junk food."

Agreed. I also don't see how having a flapjack (singular pancake) is going to cause any sort of intestinal distress. Sugar rush wouldn't make you feel like you are going to throw up. Either psychological or some other ailment that is being blamed because of the timing of this.

When people post things like this, it makes me really glad that I never took such a restrictive approach that foods I loved to eat either became less enjoyable, or made me physically ill after cutting them out. That doesn't seem like something to aspire to - why not just add in more nutrient dense foods and try to eat a variety of things so that you have more foods to choose from and build your diet (noun) around - not an approach where foods become less pleasurable because you've removed them from your diet?

Google answered for me.

Ours are like 450 calorie stodge slabs made of oats in melted butter with a *kitten* ton of sugar.I love a flap jack. It is nothing like what we call a pancake which is a batter.

Ahhh, that's interesting! I remember we had the thread with the different food names for different regions... I didn't think about the geographical slant on this. I was envisioning:

hot-flapjacks-syrup-4847770.jpg

And that's why I was questioning if it was just one single pancake! Looking at the image I grabbed, I'm wondering who puts a flower next to their stack of flapjacks... Won't it get sticky with the syrup!?

I'd eat it even if I had to share the syrup with the flower.

Although it's National doughnut day so I should really just eat a doughnut instead o:)
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    Options
    I had a crepe with lemon, butter and sugar this weekend, it was amazeballs! <3
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options

This was my thought too.

Google answered for me.

This makes sense now. They had those in my Graze box. I never understood the name lol
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I assumed pancake too, but likely OP is in the UK. (I can't really picture what this UK flapjack is enough to decide if I would like it or not.)
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    I assumed pancake too, but likely OP is in the UK. (I can't really picture what this UK flapjack is enough to decide if I would like it or not.)

It's like a granola bar kinda
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

English flapjacks:

vxw00n56bqzu.png

Usually made with oats, butter and golden syrup/sugar. Some people add stuff to them - fruit, chocolate chips; some coat them in chocolate. They're really yummy (but have way too many calories in). Really easy to make as well, you just melt the butter and syrup/sugar, add the oats, stuff into a baking tray and cook for a few minutes.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

This was my thought too.

Yes, I agree.

When I was younger, I could psyche myself, due to my gullibility and going gung ho into new experiences, into believing I felt certain ways in reaction to certain foods and experiences, but now? Notsomuch.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

English flapjacks:

vxw00n56bqzu.png

Usually made with oats, butter and golden syrup/sugar. Some people add stuff to them - fruit, chocolate chips; some coat them in chocolate. They're really yummy (but have way too many calories in). Really easy to make as well, you just melt the butter and syrup/sugar, add the oats, stuff into a baking tray and cook for a few minutes.

Oh YUM.
  • iamunicoon
    iamunicoon Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I agree that your example sounds more psychological.

But I think it depends on what "junk" we're talking about. There's homemade stuff that isn't necessarily healthy, has a lot of sugar, etc. but it's still natural ingredients and more indulgent than unhealthy. And then there's trashy fast food that you grab on the go and that's really not actually food. If you eat a lot of fast food, your body's probably used to all the fats and sodium and "bad" stuff they put on it. So I could imagine that if you cut that out and not have it for a long time, the next time you'll go get a burger or something, it could probably make you sick.
  • warrennotes
    warrennotes Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You do get to the point where "junk" doesn't taste as good, seems extremely filling, or doesn't digest as well, depending on the type of junk. Back in the '80's, Sylvester Stallone was one of the first actors to become known for his physique and workouts. He said he ate a hot dog or some junk once a week so his system could still tolerate it. Said he did that in case he got caught someplace where there was nothing but junk to eat. IMO, that's most of America, haha.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    iamunicoon wrote: »

But I think it depends on what "junk" we're talking about. There's homemade stuff that isn't necessarily healthy, has a lot of sugar, etc. but it's still natural ingredients and more indulgent than unhealthy. And then there's trashy fast food that you grab on the go and that's really not actually food. If you eat a lot of fast food, your body's probably used to all the fats and sodium and "bad" stuff they put on it. So I could imagine that if you cut that out and not have it for a long time, the next time you'll go get a burger or something, it could probably make you sick.

What food isn't real food?

I eat fast food maybe every 6 weeks or so, what "bad" stuff are they feeding me? I read the ingredients all the time due my sons allergies.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options

English flapjacks:

vxw00n56bqzu.png

Oh YUM.

They are lovely!

My pre race food of choice as you have the sugar/syrup for fast release and the oats and butter for slower energy.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm not junk intolerant so much as having allergies to certain food preservatives and additives. It just so happens that what is thought of as junk food is more likely to have these preservatives/additives in them. So I can have (and love) a burger and chips..I just have to have fresh homemade versions instead of from a fast food chain.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    We need the UK/American English thread to come back -- this is reminding me of it, and it was fun. Thanks for the various UK flapjack explanations!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    We need the UK/American English thread to come back -- this is reminding me of it, and it was fun. Thanks for the various UK flapjack explanations!

Or start a new one?

I thought I knew most of them but when @WinoGelato posted about pancakes it confused me. I'd like to see if there is more I don't know about.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    iamunicoon wrote: »

Yeah no.