Replies

• NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • teresestraw9
    teresestraw9 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi I am new to this site and I have been tracking my food intake and exercise and I have not lost anything yet , I exercise 3 times a week at the senior center with weights and bands for 45 minutes and I also started to walk the elipical for 10 minutes am I doing something wrong I am short on calories and right on in carbs and protein and fat , sugar help
  • bfa9n7838
    bfa9n7838 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Casfaye wrote: »
    I'm new to this site and I was wondering do you just eat what you want as long as it's under your calories or do you eat healthy as well??
    chillijam1 wrote: »
    hi ,can i just ask ,ive only just joined yesterday and wondering if it is going to work,so all i do is stick to the calories given on MFP ,and i should loose the weight predicted , even though i dont eat all calories given?
    chillijam1 wrote: »
    hi ,can i just ask ,ive only just joined yesterday and wondering if it is going to work,so all i do is stick to the calories given on MFP ,and i should loose the weight predicted , even though i dont eat all calories given?
    Hi I have been using fitness plan for two weeks but lost nothing :( I do lots of walking which boosts up my calorie intake, should I still stick to the 1200 calories tho?
    Hi I have been using fitness plan for two weeks but lost nothing :( I do lots of walking which boosts up my calorie intake, should I still stick to the 1200 calories tho?
    I Don't understand how to count your carbs, I end of over on carbs on goal for proteins, and lots of fat left...what should i be doing
    I Don't understand how to count your carbs, I end of over on carbs on goal for proteins, and lots of fat left...what should i be doing
    Just started this with 6 others we are all enjoying this and I find it inspiring. It really is an eye opener as what we are putting in our mouths. I am really hoping to write a good post at the end of a month... I will keep you poster... Good luck to all!

• sweetsunsetdawn
    sweetsunsetdawn Posts: 2 Member
    Options

When you exercise, the calories lost will be taken away from the initial 1200, you need to eat back those calories.

E.G. If you burnt 300 calories, you need to eat those as well as the initial 1200 so you will be eating 1500. Your body will still only be receiving the initial 1200 though.

Basically, burnt calories don't count. They are 'free' so to speak.

Hope that helps without confusing too much.

I know this is an old thread but I am new to MFP. I had the same question as the lady you answered... I thought we are trying to create a calorie deficit not adding back the calories we have burned. I have already seen that it increases the amount of calories we are supposed to get when we burn calories, and I do realize too that we are supposed to increase calories when we exercise. Maybe my question is slightly different... the amount of calories, as set through my goals is 1870. Does that mean I should eat all of these calories? Is this at a calorie deficit already? And then when I "earn" more calories through exercise, I have to eat these too?
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options

When you exercise, the calories lost will be taken away from the initial 1200, you need to eat back those calories.

E.G. If you burnt 300 calories, you need to eat those as well as the initial 1200 so you will be eating 1500. Your body will still only be receiving the initial 1200 though.

Basically, burnt calories don't count. They are 'free' so to speak.

Hope that helps without confusing too much.

I know this is an old thread but I am new to MFP. I had the same question as the lady you answered... I thought we are trying to create a calorie deficit not adding back the calories we have burned. I have already seen that it increases the amount of calories we are supposed to get when we burn calories, and I do realize too that we are supposed to increase calories when we exercise. Maybe my question is slightly different... the amount of calories, as set through my goals is 1870. Does that mean I should eat all of these calories? Is this at a calorie deficit already? And then when I "earn" more calories through exercise, I have to eat these too?

The short answer to this is yes. :) My calorie goal is 1600, which is a 500 calorie deficit for my height and weight, assuming that I'm sedentary. I walk a lot, and I add those calories as exercise and eat them so that my deficit remains as 500 calories. A bigger deficit will make you lose faster, but may not be healthy. Your goal is quite high--what activity level have you set for yourself? If you've labeled yourself as active, I'd be careful about adding back exercise calories because it would be double-counting.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options