Eating less than 1200 calories a day and exercising at least a 1000 and not losing weight

Options

Replies

• scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    This is just nonsense. You say you're exercising 1000 kcal, plus you will be expending whatever your BMR is from merely existing - let's say around 2000 kcal as a conservative estimate. Even if you weren't exercising *at all* you would still get a big deficit if you're only eating 1200 a day.

One way you could be gaining weight is by gaining muscle, but that's not likely in such a short amount of time and with such little food. I think your measurements are wrong - either your food intake, exercise, or scales, or all of those are off.

As people have already repeated, a week isn't representative of your weight trend anyway.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    OP, there are many articles circulating right now that show that most fitness trackers are very inaccurate when it comes to calorie burnt.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/05/24/apple-watch-fitness-tracking-accuracy/

"The study found that while the Apple Watch offered the most consistent energy expenditure tracking, it wasn’t necessarily the most accurate. In fact, the study claims that the Fitbit Surge was the most accurate with energy expenditure tracking, with an error rate of around 27 percent. The Microsoft Band came in at around 33 percent, while Apple Watch reported an error rate near 40 percent, though it was consistent. In last place was the PulseOn, with a 92.6 percent error rate."

So you're definitely not burning as many calories as you think you are.

Now that that's addressed... the undereating thing is nothing to take lightly. You can damage your organs. You will lose muscles. You can even lose your hair.

You need to calculate your TDEE and eat at a reasonable deficit from it - around 500 calories a day will result in one pound lost per week. This is a healthy, sustainable amount of weight to lose per week.

Crash-dieting will results in health complications and a high likelihood of regaining the weight, because you haven't taught yourself a sustainable way of eating.

There are certainly errors present. Did you read the actual study that the article references? I think you might find that the conclusion you make: "So you're definitely not burning as many calories as you think you are. Now that that's addressed...." doesn't automatically follow from the data or conculsions in the study. There is nothing definitive there except that the measurements may not be trustworthy in an individual case. The only way to know is to be accurate on calories in and observe results over a long enough period of time.

You can use trusted calculations to back-check your tracker to see of the estimates make sense. In many cases they do, or for our purposes they can be close enough. Again, for individuals you can make adjustments over time.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    OP, there are many articles circulating right now that show that most fitness trackers are very inaccurate when it comes to calorie burnt.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/05/24/apple-watch-fitness-tracking-accuracy/

"The study found that while the Apple Watch offered the most consistent energy expenditure tracking, it wasn’t necessarily the most accurate. In fact, the study claims that the Fitbit Surge was the most accurate with energy expenditure tracking, with an error rate of around 27 percent. The Microsoft Band came in at around 33 percent, while Apple Watch reported an error rate near 40 percent, though it was consistent. In last place was the PulseOn, with a 92.6 percent error rate."

So you're definitely not burning as many calories as you think you are.

Now that that's addressed... the undereating thing is nothing to take lightly. You can damage your organs. You will lose muscles. You can even lose your hair.

You need to calculate your TDEE and eat at a reasonable deficit from it - around 500 calories a day will result in one pound lost per week. This is a healthy, sustainable amount of weight to lose per week.

Crash-dieting will results in health complications and a high likelihood of regaining the weight, because you haven't taught yourself a sustainable way of eating.

There are certainly errors present. Did you read the actual study that the article references? I think you might find that the conclusion you make: "So you're definitely not burning as many calories as you think you are. Now that that's addressed...." doesn't automatically follow from the data or conculsions in the study. There is nothing definitive there except that the measurements may not be trustworthy in an individual case. The only way to know is to be accurate on calories in and observe results over a long enough period of time.

You can use trusted calculations to back-check your tracker to see of the estimates make sense. In many cases they do, or for our purposes they can be close enough. Again, for individuals you can make adjustments over time.

Sure, that's fair - OP just seemed very confident that his calorie burns were accurate. He's saying that he's burning upwards of 1500 calories a day through exercise, and that seems very high to me. Many people wouldn't even burn that many calories running a half-marathon.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

Thanks for all the comments above... I'm a bit concerned about some of the comments above.
    I am indeed eating 1,200 calories per day (I will be upping this to 1,500 on the back of all your comments).
    To clear things up, I am indeed burning 1000 calories, sometimes more per day by doing things like HIIT, Zumba and then after it 30 mins non-stop of swimming. I feel incredibly fit and full of energy. Therefore, 200 calories net, yes.

Could this diet really be doing me this much harm if all I want to do now is exercise, move, actually get on? Previously I was a total couch potato. Now I run a 5K with no issues - all of this in 1.5 months. training hard everyday.

Thanks for all of the advice above guys!

Are you using a "energy supplement" because at net 200. You're likely to hit a wall pretty quickly.
  • natashavadnais1980
    natashavadnais1980 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I spent 60-75 minutes, 5 days a week, doing Crossfit. The other two days I spend 3+ hours riding horses which ends up about the same amount of calorie burn as an hour at Crossfit. Even that is only 300-400 calories. I cut my calories to only 1200 a day 6 weeks ago because my weight loss became stagnant and got obsessed with the scale (even though I knew better), and I ended up putting weight on... I have now gone up to 1550 a week ago, and have peeled 1.5lbs back off. He isn't eating enough. He should be in the 1700-1800 range minimum to stay healthy.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    How are you still living?

It's only been a few weeks. Give it some time. :D
  • baseddon
    baseddon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this yet or not, but prior to upping to 1500 calories your body might have been in starvation mode. Meaning your body was protecting itself and storing the food it was receiving as fat. And importantly, the QUALITY of the calorie matters.

Also, do you keep track of inches lost? A pound of fat and muscle weigh the same, but the densities are much different.

Unfortunately, the body also likes to hit plateaus in the form of muscle memory. You might need to change up the exercise routine if it is looking too...well...routine.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I started my diet on the 04th of May 2017.

You started on May 4th and you have lost 20 pounds so far? Holy crap. Why are you saying that you are not losing???
This discussion has been closed.