Paleo Diet?

Options
Want to see how many people actually would okay with starting a Paleo diet. It became popular recently and I am interested to see who actually follows the diet. Can't be the only one! lol

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
  • delimanager640
    delimanager640 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Love the paleo diet. No cravings, good feeling of well being, sleep great and so much energy I feel like I could fly.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I use Paleo as a baseline for eating and adjust accordingly. I do maintain gluten free and refined sugar free as close to 100% of the time as possible. I don't fully eliminate legumes, rice, white potatoes, corn or soy, though I do limit my intake considerably (1-2x a month). However, no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't give up cheese (though I no longer drink milk).

I use a lot of Paleo websites as my starting point when I want to experiment with new recipe ideas, then adjust according to my personal taste. I love all the spices in Paleo recipes.

It's a tough lifestyle to maintain. Lots of meal prep, so plan accordingly! The process of creating a sustainable Paleo(ish) diet took a lot of compromise from myself and from my family. It's worth it though - I sleep better, my psoriasis doesn't flare up as much, my regular headaches disappeared, my joints don't hurt anymore, my immune system is amazing (sick only once in 1.5 years), and I have tons of energy to perform in high endurance races.

Good luck if you decide to pursue this lifestyle. A lot of preparation and patience is key to the process.
  • heavensshadow
    heavensshadow Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    sofchak wrote: »
    I use Paleo as a baseline for eating and adjust accordingly. I do maintain gluten free and refined sugar free as close to 100% of the time as possible. I don't fully eliminate legumes, rice, white potatoes, corn or soy, though I do limit my intake considerably (1-2x a month). However, no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't give up cheese (though I no longer drink milk).

I use a lot of Paleo websites as my starting point when I want to experiment with new recipe ideas, then adjust according to my personal taste. I love all the spices in Paleo recipes....

This, all of it! I love the "roll your own" version of Paleo I use. It's a baseline for me to help me aim for a more wholesome nutrition plan. I, too, haven't been able to cut out cheese (and I still will use dairy in my coffee, but have been moving slowly to almond milk), and most of the time I avoid legumes, potatoes, and grains. I've found that I've been able to successfully sub a LOT of stuff with cauliflower and sweet potatoes. I like to bake, so I've limited myself in that respect, simply because I like white/wheat flours better than almond/coconut flours.

I agree that it takes some planning, especially since my family doesn't follow it the way I do, so some days I'll get home and there will be burgers and oven fries ready to go -- those days are harder, but you find you can get pretty creative with substitutions. :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Nope, not for me. I eat beans pretty much every day. And I love peanut butter. Too many silly rules for me.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Nope, not for me. I eat beans pretty much every day. And I love peanut butter. Too many silly rules for me.

See everyone is different. I could not care less for beans or any other legume for that matter. I could eat paleo way all the time. But instead I chose to make it my own style and simplify by just not buying any premade foods. Make everything from scratch.

We live on a farm. We not only make most meals from scratch, but grow most of our food. I love fresh local homemade meals. But that's not paleo.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Tried it for 9 months and hated it. Too many unnecessary rules and eliminated a lot healthy foods. But the groups are a good place if you want like minded people.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Been there done that. Nothing special IMO.
    That said, plenty of people do it and love it and it works for them.
    To each his or her own...