How on earth do you eat 1g of protein per pound

Options
I've been trying t do this high protein low carb diet. Will literally have 18oz of fish fillet and get 108g of protein, but how on earth to consume 240-260g of protein without going over caloric goals of 1400? I n

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I don't? I have some health issues where I need to limit protein to not stress my kidneys, but you don't need that much.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Perhaps a high protein diet is not for you then, if you are struggling? For sure it is not for me!
    Check this for ideas: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/high-protein-diets/faq-20058207
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I've been trying t do this high protein low carb diet. Will literally have 18oz of fish fillet and get 108g of protein, but how on earth to consume 240-260g of protein without going over caloric goals of 1400? I n
    That's a really high protein goal. How did you determine that?

AnvilHead wrote: »
    Shoot for either one gram per pound of lean body mass (which you can calculate if you know your body fat percentage), or 0.6 - 0.8g per pound of your goal weight.

^^^this
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Shoot for either one gram per pound of lean body mass (which you can calculate if you know your body fat percentage), or 0.6 - 0.8g per pound of your goal weight.

Yep, exactly this.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

yah this...

I currently have my protein set for 113 grams which to me at 150lbs is 0.8 grams per lb.

totally doable.

so based on the numbers you are using...144-192 is more than adequate.

even if you don't hit 144 (which is only 576 calories) getting over 100 is a good plan and probably lots.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I would never eat that much protein lol When I was really heavy I went by 1g per lb of lean body mass and then upped it maybe 15-20g just to be safe so I really never consumed more than 140g protein which is kind of what I do now weighing 80lbs less. I managed to keep most of my lean mass :)
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    The general recommended amount of protien for people is one gram of protien for each kilogram of your weight, not per pound of your wieght!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    what others said - .8-1lb per lean muscle mass - so if you are 260lbs right now with a BF% of 40% (making numbers up) - then your LMM is 156lbs - so you could aim for 124-156g a day - much more manageable than 250+
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

this.
    but for most people anything over 100 is pretty good.
  • mtague7733
    mtague7733 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Won't high protein make it hard to lose weight as excess gets turned into glucose? And is bad for your kidneys...unless you are building muscle by wprking out ALOT!
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    mtague7733 wrote: »
    Won't high protein make it hard to lose weight as excess gets turned into glucose? And is bad for your kidneys...unless you are building muscle by wprking out ALOT!

No.

And no.

It is hard on your kidneys, but not a huge problem unless you have other kidney issues.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    mtague7733 wrote: »

It is hard on your kidneys, but not a huge problem unless you have other kidney issues.

Even then it's potentially manageable
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Almond butter in my porridge & 1 protein shake breakfast, 1 shake after gym. Avocado on toast & 2 slices turkey bacon lunch. 4oz chicken, 1 cup rice, 1 cup mixed veg, small sweet potato dinner. Protein goals of 130g met on 1650 cal plan. Why are yours so high?
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Protein powder. I use optimum nutrition whey isolates, Greek yogurt has 20 grams, string cheese has 10, and egg whites and chicken...I have a hard time getting my 100 too!
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Plan out your meals if you are finding it difficult to meet your goal intake. Definitely switch it up with what you like but plan out your 4-5-6 meals (however many you eat) and make sure you are getting the 30-35-40G protein in each meal and it will make it easier than if you just try to wing it each day. Also, if you have a really high protein goal and don't want to eat so much, protein powder is a very easy way to hit your goals. Goodluck!
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Without supplements I find it near impossible, even with protein filled meals!
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    My daily protein from food is usually
    Eggs + egg whites
    2 chicken breasts
    1 steak or mince
    Quark
    Plus
    1 scoop of protein powder
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    If I don't incorporate whey protein I have a very tough time hitting 1g per pound. I really wouldn't sweat it unless you're going nuts with the bodybuilding. If you're low carbing you're going to want higher fat anyway for energy.