Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is counting calories/macros destroying our enjoyment of food?

Options

Replies

• WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Love reading everyone's opinions on the subject. Though many of you are saying that counting calories has no negative influence on your enjoyment of food, do you think it has had an effect on your relationship with food (example: looking at 2 choices on a menu and seeing only numbers, choosing the lower calorie option, etc.)?

I'm a picky eater, so I tend to go with what I like even if it's higher in calories. It's very convenient that I love grilled chicken. :smile: I also do what mph323 does. It's great because I get to eat a delicious meal twice. However, I do avoid high fat meals because I get acid reflux (which started after losing weight, go figure).
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Well, I know that the calorie count at McDonalds sure irritated me. I don't eat there myself, but I treat my niece & nephew occasionally because they love it.. and all that stuff on the board makes it completely illegible.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    my question would be how could it ruin our enjoyment of food.

Calories and macros are numbers that is it...enjoyment of food comes from tactile senses like taste and smell...

If you find you are not eating the food you love due to calorie restrictions you are doing it wrong....just eat a smaller portion or exercise to allow for it.

It's not so much the enjoyment of the food itself as it is the over-reliance on numbers and the strange eating habits and thoughts about food that some people develop from long term tracking.

I see the over reliance on the numbers as an issue for some for sure and the thoughts about food...which can lend itself to disordered thinking...

I guess that was my point of asking...if you aren't enjoying the food per say or not eating what you love because of numbers time to take a step back...re-evaluate and get some perspective.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    my question would be how could it ruin our enjoyment of food.

Calories and macros are numbers that is it...enjoyment of food comes from tactile senses like taste and smell...

If you find you are not eating the food you love due to calorie restrictions you are doing it wrong....just eat a smaller portion or exercise to allow for it.

For me it lessened (not destroyed or ruined) my enjoyment of food because I my enjoyment of food comes from cooking as much as from eating. But I don't cook from recipes and don't measure ingredients. There isn't much point in logging if you don't measure and having to measure made cooking a lot less enjoyable for me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I never found myself obsessing about numbers to the detriment of my enjoyment, but I do find logging to be detrimental to my enjoyment, sometimes, if it feels like something that makes cooking more burdensome (not usually, but occasionally) or, more often, if it feels like a chore to try to deconstruct a restaurant meal afterwards. I am okay with just estimating in those cases, though, or not logging the day, but I can understand why people find it more trouble than it's worth.

I find the following macros and numbers interesting and since it doesn't tend to make me obsessive it's a good way to get myself to actually focus on a deficit (or seeing what affects energy or the like), but I do (again) find the logging part itself more work than I like and so find it easier to focus on other options, especially when I'm maintaining.