Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is counting calories/macros destroying our enjoyment of food?

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Not really. Weighing out food while I'm cooking and jotting down the measurement is an extra step and feels a bit like a science experiment and it's all very geeky, and that's okay.

As always, I still enjoy cooking and looking for new recipes or recipe ideas, it's just that what I look for now has slightly different parameters than what I used to look for or I make tweaks to make it work for me.
  • MrsPinterest34
    MrsPinterest34 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Now that I know how much i need to eat a day to lose and i have measuring tools, i'm eating more food! I eat 3 meals a day and i'm not gaining weight. I can eat any food i crave and i'm still not gaining weight. It's all estimates and some days i probably overestimate but i don't stress about it because i can just exercise more that day. Counting calories almost feels like i'm cheating but CICO is the law of physics and i'm taking advantage of it.
  • DaniG_1987
    DaniG_1987 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I find that when I work something like a burger into my calories for the day, I enjoy the burger more. It is something special now, whereas before I could eat a Juicy Lucy anytime I wanted and even multiple times a week if I wanted so there was nothing special about it. In theory I could still do that now, it would just suck to balance the calories and I would feel awful.
    I also spent so many days prior to limiting myself to 1280(ish) calories a day being like, "why did I just eat this whole box of bagel bites or this whole bag of Doritos?" They were not even that good and then I'd be annoyed with myself. Now I don't have those days because I pre-measure out servings and stick to the one serving that fits in my daily goal.
    We use Hello Fresh and I am discovering so many new types of food and new food combinations that I am now enjoying cooking and eating way more than before.
  • NikiS_8
    NikiS_8 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't feel it takes away from the enjoyment of food, but rather helps me enjoy it more. It helps me learn to make better choices and makes me think twice about what I am choosing to eat. Then I enjoy eating and don't feel guilty or bloated after. I even find it helps when going out to eat or at church meals. I plan ahead so I know about what I can eat and quantities. When I go out, I order well, portion out (put rest aside to go if needed) and then enjoy. Of course it helps that I love fruits and vegetables and I try to choose restaurants that I know offer healthier options or smaller portions. And if I know that I will want dessert or something else high calorie, I use the app to figure out what portion size to eat and then plan the rest of the meals for that day around the calories remaining. But I don't do that often. Again, planning ahead rather than counting the calories on the spot or after allows me to enjoy what I do eat.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I don't enjoy eating a can of tuna at night because I didn't pay attention earlier in the day to getting more enjoyable forms of protein. That motivates me to pay attention and enjoy eating. Counting macros improves my enjoyment of food.
  • Tq43
    Tq43 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I find I can taste my food better since I cut out all the processed stuff ! I'm enjoying more variety and finding the challenge of eating within my calorie goal great ! I hope this feeling lasts ....fingers crossed !
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    My constant obsession with calorie counting, hitting protein grams, and avoiding things I feel are not part of a "healthy" diet, are *borderline* unhealthy, and borderline ruin eating for me.

Only borderline. It's a little obsessive but it's nothing that's not controllable and definitely not damaging to me. But it definitely removes a lot if not all of the enjoyment of eating.

But in the same breath I HAD to remove the enjoyment of eating. Enjoying eating is what got me fat. It was comfort, it was reprieve from emotional and sometimes physical distress. It's how I celebrated and how I grieved. It was emotion. I correlated enjoying food with happiness like a heroin junky associates heroin with being happy. I was literally killing myself thinking I was enjoying what I was eating. When I stepped back, and looked at how all that food made me "feel", I didn't actually ever enjoy it. It did nothing but hurt me in the most horrible ways.

I still splurge. I still fall off track. But if we apply the pareto rule, I've removed enjoyment from probably 80% of what I eat now. Some of that is intentional.

That's exactly what this post is getting at -- the obsessive nature of calorie counting.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Nope, I still love food.

I will still go out and choose whatever I want without worrying about calories.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    My constant obsession with calorie counting, hitting protein grams, and avoiding things I feel are not part of a "healthy" diet, are *borderline* unhealthy, and borderline ruin eating for me.

Only borderline. It's a little obsessive but it's nothing that's not controllable and definitely not damaging to me. But it definitely removes a lot if not all of the enjoyment of eating.

But in the same breath I HAD to remove the enjoyment of eating. Enjoying eating is what got me fat. It was comfort, it was reprieve from emotional and sometimes physical distress. It's how I celebrated and how I grieved. It was emotion. I correlated enjoying food with happiness like a heroin junky associates heroin with being happy. I was literally killing myself thinking I was enjoying what I was eating. When I stepped back, and looked at how all that food made me "feel", I didn't actually ever enjoy it. It did nothing but hurt me in the most horrible ways.

I still splurge. I still fall off track. But if we apply the pareto rule, I've removed enjoyment from probably 80% of what I eat now. Some of that is intentional.

That's exactly what this post is getting at -- the obsessive nature of calorie counting.

Getting obsessive about a calorie deficit is a requirement to escape from morbid obesity. Staying obsessive about overall calorie intake/output is a requirement to avoid weight regain plus some extra. The 95% who regain lost weight aren't staying obsessive.

The simplest, most reliable way to maintain calorie control for many people is calorie counting. Obsession is what got me where I am (near my goal weight) and I don't want to lose that obsession. I want to nurture that obsession. I want to be buried in a normal-sized coffin when the time comes.

I disagree.

In what way?
  • princess0lexi
    princess0lexi Posts: 3,938 Member
    Options
    it has and it helped start and make a eating disorder worst, a lot of things are very high in calories and if i had the higher calorie things i may still be hungry but used up all my calories or have very few left for later. i try to eat lower calorie foods so i can eat more for the same amount which means i don`t eat a lot of different cereals because they go over 110 and i know thats silly but its what i go through with and i really don`t like to drink things with calories because i feel that i will not be full and that could of been used on food and there are a lot of other foods i can`t or will not eat because of the calorie count, just to sum it all up its not fun but i can`t stop and life just is not the same.