Planet Fitness 30 min express workout

Options
13»

Replies

• skully12
    skully12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The machines definitely do overestimate! It was depressing the first time I wore my monitor. My difference was only by about 30 calories during an hour treadmill workout (so not so extreme), but still a noticeable difference.
  • danielleisms
    danielleisms Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am curious now and am going to wear my HRM next time I do it. I did it yesterday and based on my heart rate and how I felt I would guess I burned close to 300 calories. I really went hard on the steps though and alternated between stepping, box jump type work, and leg raises.
  • belinda_73
    belinda_73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I wore my HRM yesterday doing Tabata and I burned 368 calories in 45 minutes. My gym shows your HR on a projector, I was at a pretty high intensity 85-93%. I weigh 150 5'5
  • ACUTCH
    ACUTCH Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can burn 285 – 765 calories circuit training.

It depends on how much you weigh and how hard you exercise. Below is an estimate of how many calories you can burn in 30 minutes of circuit training (with aerobic exercise and little to no rest):

If you weigh 150 lbs, you can burn approximately 285 calories in 30 minutes.
    If you weigh 200 lbs, you can burn approximately 380 calories in 30 minutes.
    If you weigh 250 lbs, you can burn approximately 475 calories in 30 minutes.
    If you weigh 300 lbs, you can burn approximately 575 calories in 30 minutes.
    If you weigh 350 lbs, you can burn approximately 670 calories in 30 minutes.
    If you weigh 400 lbs, you can burn approximately 765 calories in 30 minutes.
  • HollyTripp1
    HollyTripp1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    So for the circuit training what are people putting it under . Cardio or Strength training?

• VictorPalumboJr
    VictorPalumboJr Posts: 1 Member
    Options

If your weight is between these numbers just take a decent guess. There isn't a formula that can give you an exact number.
  • jcsunsfan
    jcsunsfan Posts: 1 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Just record it as circuit training under cardio exercises. But the calories you burn really depends on how hard you work. If you work low weights and slow steps you will not burn nearly as many calories as the circuit training option says.

If you are wearing a heart rate monitor, understand that if you really work your muscles hard your heart rate and metabolism will be elevated much longer after the workout than if you were just doing cardio. Give it enough time to see longer term results. Do not get discouraged at doing this circuit just because the numbers on your HRM don't add up.

There can be a huge difference in calorie usage just based upon body size. Big guys like me burn a lot more calories. And do the steps in between. That is the point of this workout. It gives you a combo of cardio and weight training. Do not do it every day. Skip at least a day between. The older you are, the more days you should skip. I am 52 and have lifted most of my adult life. I only do this workout every third day. I do cardio in between. But I work the weights as heavy as I possibly can.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You can really push yourself on the step by doing intense stepping exercises, or you can simply step at a fairly slow pace, or anything in between. I think it's too variable to easily give a number.
  • supernaturalkat
    supernaturalkat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    5xmuflyj727a.png

Seriously. The OP was in 2008.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Bump.

Been trying to figure this out for 6 months now. At 245lbs it assumes that since it's 30 minutes of "cardio" (because it's not really strength training if you're toning muscles), it counts it around 440-something. That's fine because I add more to my workouts than that before and after, but I'd like a more accurate depiction of what the burn might be.

If it's a combination of cardio & strength training the "catch all" is circuit training. This is still a total guess, but at least you are getting something specific to your size & gender. A HRM gives a better estimate for steady state cardio....so it's not super helpful here. Strength training is just really hard to measure.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thank you for this post! I do the YouFit express circuit religiously every other day. I go to the step station in between every machine for the steps and I make it really hard so that I get my blood pumping. I don't step as much as I'm jumping over the step. I am definitely sweating at the end of the circuit. I've been estimating 200 calories burned doing this, but maybe it' s a little more.

It's weird. In the year that I've been going to Youtfit I have never seen anyone do the complete circuit except for myself. I'm the only person who ever uses it.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Seems like it would depend on how hard and what you do. I belong there and do it but I think daily it varies for everyone.
  • nuclearninja
    nuclearninja Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    285 calories for 30 minutes
  • qpmomma1
    qpmomma1 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    This is from 2008!!