Other activities and marathon training?

Options

Replies

• Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Unless your plan is personalised to you there is room for movement. If you don't feel it's upsetting your training, keep doing it. As Ann262 above said, most programmes call for 5 days running. I personally run only 3 or 4 with a spin session and a 1k swim a week too (and a strength training session) and i'm very happy with my progress in both distance and pace. Do what works for you. You need to enjoy what you're doing too.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    sstini55 wrote: »
    Djproulx

I am not counting on breaking any records at the marathon :) just want to finish and have it not suck. I have been running for about ten years with an average base of 25-30 during the summer, and about 15 in the winter (hate the treadmill). This will be my first marathon and I appreciate any advice from those that have completed a marathon. Last summer with biking thrown in I averaged 50-70 miles a week with both running and biking.

@sstini55 - For someone with this much running background, you have a pretty light marathon training plan. I see no issue with using a bicycle to commute in addition to the running distances your plan calls for.

Multi-sport athletes routinely train for distance running and distance cycling concurrently. If your heart is in duathlons, I don't see a problem with having a 2/14/2 du in the middle of training. You'd think of it as replacing one of your speed work days, because you will be running short distances fast. Just do your long run on a different day that week.

Do something for your core and upper body, since you feel the need. Distance runners typically have some form of core work as part of their training. I hate planks, so I do push-ups; that gives me a bit of tricep work while disguising the plank. But you find what works for you. Be warned, it may seem wimpy compared to weight lifting as a primary goal. For reference, I'm maintaining my body weight to a range of 160-165 lbs. When I was just lifting weights, I worked up to squatting 165 lbs. To maintain my distance running, I squat 75 lbs. This does not make me sore the next day. 50 lbs. would probably be enough.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I see no problem with the bike commuting, it's zero impact and good x-training for the run. If you were talking about riding a century every week it may be a different story.

As to your duathlon.....get some brick workouts in (running right after a bike ride) it's pretty hilarious at first how rubbery your legs can feel, especially with duathlons, at least with a tri you're starting with a swim, and rehearse your transitions, it'll reduce your stress levels on race day.

Have fun!
  • sstini55
    sstini55 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Djproulx

I am not counting on breaking any records at the marathon :) just want to finish and have it not suck. I have been running for about ten years with an average base of 25-30 during the summer, and about 15 in the winter (hate the treadmill). This will be my first marathon and I appreciate any advice from those that have completed a marathon. Last summer with biking thrown in I averaged 50-70 miles a week with both running and biking.

@sstini55 - For someone with this much running background, you have a pretty light marathon training plan. I see no issue with using a bicycle to commute in addition to the running distances your plan calls for.

Multi-sport athletes routinely train for distance running and distance cycling concurrently. If your heart is in duathlons, I don't see a problem with having a 2/14/2 du in the middle of training. You'd think of it as replacing one of your speed work days, because you will be running short distances fast. Just do your long run on a different day that week.

Do something for your core and upper body, since you feel the need. Distance runners typically have some form of core work as part of their training. I hate planks, so I do push-ups; that gives me a bit of tricep work while disguising the plank. But you find what works for you. Be warned, it may seem wimpy compared to weight lifting as a primary goal. For reference, I'm maintaining my body weight to a range of 160-165 lbs. When I was just lifting weights, I worked up to squatting 165 lbs. To maintain my distance running, I squat 75 lbs. This does not make me sore the next day. 50 lbs. would probably be enough.

Thanks for the great advice. I was working on advancing to heavier weights but maybe I will stay or drop down for now,
  • sstini55
    Options
    I see no problem with the bike commuting, it's zero impact and good x-training for the run. If you were talking about riding a century every week it may be a different story.

As to your duathlon.....get some brick workouts in (running right after a bike ride) it's pretty hilarious at first how rubbery your legs can feel, especially with duathlons, at least with a tri you're starting with a swim, and rehearse your transitions, it'll reduce your stress levels on race day.

Have fun!

I have a good 7 weeks to train for it, I hope that's enough. Should I do a full run thru before the actual duathlon?
  • sstini55
    Options
    Thank you all for the great advice. I feel more comfortable knowing this is doable and that my plan is good.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My personal experience, based on my marathon training last year.

I think it's okay to continue the routine lifestyle physical activity you had prior to beginning training. I walk to and from work in the summer (about an hour a day of walking) and I continued that all throughout my marathon training. I also frequently take long walks with my husband on the weekend (5-10 miles) and I continued that as well. Just pay attention to your energy level and make sure you're eating enough to fuel all your activity. Obviously if you start to feel fatigued or run down, adjust something.

I continued resistance training while I was training, but I didn't focus much on progression. I just tried to stay where I was.

I ran races throughout my training, from 5ks all the way to half marathons. I worked them into my training, usually substituting them for other runs. In fact, some plans specifically call for running races during training -- it's a great way to check your race strategies before the big day.

• GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Pretty short distance for cycling, unless it's got a lot of climbing. Given that, you shouldn't have any problems. The only exception you might want to make is the last week or so prior to the race while you're tapering. Best to go easy during that time and skip the cycling.

As to race goals, try using runningforfitness.org/calc/racepaces/rp. It's a bit uncanny how accurate it is at predicting, say, your marathon time based on your 5k time.
  • sstini55
    Options
    My personal experience, based on my marathon training last year.

I think it's okay to continue the routine lifestyle physical activity you had prior to beginning training. I walk to and from work in the summer (about an hour a day of walking) and I continued that all throughout my marathon training. I also frequently take long walks with my husband on the weekend (5-10 miles) and I continued that as well. Just pay attention to your energy level and make sure you're eating enough to fuel all your activity. Obviously if you start to feel fatigued or run down, adjust something.

I continued resistance training while I was training, but I didn't focus much on progression. I just tried to stay where I was.

I ran races throughout my training, from 5ks all the way to half marathons. I worked them into my training, usually substituting them for other runs. In fact, some plans specifically call for running races during training -- it's a great way to check your race strategies before the big day.

Thank you. And I am not adding anything new as I usually bike and run, but I have read that marathon training should be all I do, nice to hear others continued other activities as well. There's so much info out there hard to know what to believe.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    @sstini55 - Not to digress, but given your existing bike and run interest, you're just a few swim sessions away from a multisport career.

Can you say "Ironman" ? ;)
  • sstini55
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    @sstini55 - Not to digress, but given your existing bike and run interest, you're just a few swim sessions away from a multisport career.

Actually......it's something I have been thinking about. But I have no idea how to go from "thinking about it" to doing it. I watched the Ironman and those competitors are awesome! Maybe after my duathlon I should jump in the pool for a few laps!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options

Actually......it's something I have been thinking about. But I have no idea how to go from "thinking about it" to doing it. I watched the Ironman and those competitors are awesome! Maybe after my duathlon I should jump in the pool for a few laps!

I started later in life (at 54 years old) during recovery from a running injury. Did some biking and swimming as cross training to maintain cardio fitness. A friend suggested I join him to complete a Sprint distance tri, and once I did, I was hooked.

Most people start at the shorter distances, then some decide to build up their training volume to race the half iron or full iron distance events.

Lots of resources available online for people who are just starting out. Finding a local tri club in your area is another great option. Like the running community, triathletes tend to be very supportive towards people who are just starting out. If you have specific questions, feel free to shoot me a pm.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    A good resource for the OP & others who do endurance sports and would also like to keep lifting but think they have to stop or go easy is Alex Viada & his book "the hybrid athlete". He's also got a whole team of coaches for people who want to partake in strength and endurance pursuits and get the most from each.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

and you know what they say about triathlons - they are like pringles - you can't do just one :)
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options

and you know what they say about triathlons - they are like pringles - you can't do just one :)

Hmm. As a runner, that's different than the one I've heard about triathlons...

"Why be good at one sport when you can be mediocre at three?" ;)
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    GaryRuns wrote: »

Hmm. As a runner, that's different than the one I've heard about triathlons...

"Why be good at one sport when you can be mediocre at three?" ;)

ohhh I say that too...but I'm also mediocre at just running...if I had to pick one of the three to specialize in, it would be the swim - which most triathletes aim to just survive
  • sstini55
    Options

I started later in life (at 54 years old) during recovery from a running injury. Did some biking and swimming as cross training to maintain cardio fitness. A friend suggested I join him to complete a Sprint distance tri, and once I did, I was hooked.

Most people start at the shorter distances, then some decide to build up their training volume to race the half iron or full iron distance events.

Lots of resources available online for people who are just starting out. Finding a local tri club in your area is another great option. Like the running community, triathletes tend to be very supportive towards people who are just starting out. If you have specific questions, feel free to shoot me a pm.

Great advice, however I live in the middle of rural Wisconsin, there are no local running or tri clubs near me. I don't know anyone else who runs or bikes. I can count on one hand the number of local "races" we have here. I asked a trainer at the Ymca about marathon training, and none of them have any experience with it. So, all I have to go on is what I have found online, and what you all have told me here. The nearest triathlon would be about half hour to an hour away from me. All we have here is the duathlon. I think with that and then a marathon I will see how it goes, but for any training, I am on my own.
  • sstini55
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    A good resource for the OP & others who do endurance sports and would also like to keep lifting but think they have to stop or go easy is Alex Viada & his book "the hybrid athlete". He's also got a whole team of coaches for people who want to partake in strength and endurance pursuits and get the most from each.

I will look for the book, thanks! Any help/advice I can get is appreciated.
  • deannalfisher
    Options

Great advice, however I live in the middle of rural Wisconsin, there are no local running or tri clubs near me. I don't know anyone else who runs or bikes. I can count on one hand the number of local "races" we have here. I asked a trainer at the Ymca about marathon training, and none of them have any experience with it. So, all I have to go on is what I have found online, and what you all have told me here. The nearest triathlon would be about half hour to an hour away from me. All we have here is the duathlon. I think with that and then a marathon I will see how it goes, but for any training, I am on my own.

Wisconsin has some of the best races - Door County triathlon sells out every year; Ironman Wisconsin; 70.3 Racine and now 70.3 Wisconsin (in Madison)
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    honestly half an hour a way for a triathlon is nothing - but then I'm driving 2hrs for a 70.3 this weekend, because the only hotel near the course is now $250 a night and I can't afford that