So, uh... why do strangers keep telling me "good job" while running?

Options

Replies

• lknjohnson
    lknjohnson Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I've had people tell me "good job" "doing great" etc while I was running. It was strange at first because I thought was I really struggling or look like I was struggling or something. lol I also have experienced runners nod or say "welcome" when passing. But for the most part I just get smiles, nods or the simple hello. I run at about 12-13min per mile as well right now.
  • Royal1954
    Royal1954 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »

Good job? Not for a stranger to say to a strapping, fit, 40 year old guy minding his own business while he jogs outside. For goodness sake.

Yes, agree with this.

I (used to) power hike the local mountain several times a week. I'd be huffing and puffing, all wet and dripping with sweat, using a stop watch always trying to beat my best time. One day I'm cresting the top and at the same time a couple of weekend hikers start their way down and one says to me "Good job". Well that pissed me off. Who is he to say that I'm doing a good job? He knows nothing about me. He should simply say "Hi". Instead he's passing some kind of judgement and self-aggrandizing at the same time.
  • Locolady98
    Locolady98 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I second what someone else said here - in general runners are a pretty supportive bunch. It can vary by region, though. I lived in the Scottish Highlands for a time (in a small village of about 300 people), and when I went for runs there, people gave me strange looks and asked why on earth I was doing that. In the U.S., during races, people often shout encouragement. When I'm just out for a regular run, exchange of smiles and nods is pretty common. I'll usually show a bit more support for someone who seems out of shape, because I feel happy for them that they're taking positive steps (literally!) to improve their health.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,987 Member
    Options
    It's intriguing to see how people respond to this. I would never be anything but happy if someone said great job or hi or good morning to me when out on a run. It's expected in small city, Canada and I would briefly think someone was rude if they didn't at least smile at me as I went past. Expectations are different in different places.

I personally will always smile and make eye contact at the very least, and potentially say good morning or great work or hello. My kindness is genuine. I will never stop. Being friendly is nice and if someone doesn't like it, that is their problem not mine. If they want to be grumpy and negative that is their choice but my kindness and friendliness won't be ruined by a grumpy McGrump.

I think it's important to point out the distinction that us "grumps" are making. No one is arguing that saying "hello" or "good morning" or waving or smiling isn't a welcome gesture...I think everyone agrees that that's just being friendly. The issue some of us have is specifically with the "great job!"-type comments. It just seems presumptuous and unnecessary.
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    It's intriguing to see how people respond to this. I would never be anything but happy if someone said great job or hi or good morning to me when out on a run. It's expected in small city, Canada and I would briefly think someone was rude if they didn't at least smile at me as I went past. Expectations are different in different places.

I personally will always smile and make eye contact at the very least, and potentially say good morning or great work or hello. My kindness is genuine. I will never stop. Being friendly is nice and if someone doesn't like it, that is their problem not mine. If they want to be grumpy and negative that is their choice but my kindness and friendliness won't be ruined by a grumpy McGrump.

Hellooooo other super friendly small town Canadian person! I don't know what you did today but *Hi5!* and great job, eh!

Lol, hi5 from another fellow Canadian, eh
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I can only guess people are being friendly and want to say hi in an encouraging way. You know, their endorphins are going because they're exercising too, so why not share the good vibes. I usually save my "good jobs" for little kids jogging with their mom or biking my neighborhood trails though, not grown ups!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Moxie42 wrote: »
    I'm guessing it can vary a lot from one area to another. Living in Southern California, people usually avoid making eye contact with each other like their lives depend on it. When I visited Texas, I was floored by how friendly everyone was, even people just walking by. At first it felt really weird but then I realized- this is awesome!!!

It's not just Texas; it's pretty much the whole middle part of the country.

I was raised in the Midwest, where people generally don't acknowledge strangers. I joined the military and was stationed in the south, where I was shocked to find that everyone greeted and smiled at each other. I got used to this for a few years, and then returned to the Midwest, where people were annoyed when I greeted and smiled at them. I quickly returned to being a cold Midwesterner who minds his own business. True story
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    " I quickly returned to being a cold Midwesterner who minds his own business. True story " Kinda sad. A pleasant greeting in no way is getting into someone else's business. It's just being nice.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    " I quickly returned to being a cold Midwesterner who minds his own business. True story " Kinda sad. A pleasant greeting in no way is getting into someone else's business. It's just being nice.

It isn't being mean. It isn't being nice. It is just a neutrality that is a part of the regional culture. Freezing your *kitten* off throughout a significant portion of the year gives you a different attitude than that of those who get a lot of sunshine year round, lol.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    bikecheryl wrote: »
    "Runners" are the MOST supportive people I've ever met. I have literally had world class ultra marathoners take the time and the breathe to say good job to me during a race. Ok, they were passing me like I was standing still at the time but that really doesn't matter. We were sharing a path others can't or do not wish to follow. To me it's like a secret handshake - just grin, nod back and pass it along.

Us lifters should support each other more.
    Starting tomorrow I'm gonna send kisses to all the dudes doing bicep curls!

I want to know how this went.

OP, I find the running community tends to be really supportive here and it's not uncommon for them to offer words of encouragement, particularly to new faces.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    "Runners" are the MOST supportive people I've ever met. I have literally had world class ultra marathoners take the time and the breathe to say good job to me during a race. Ok, they were passing me like I was standing still at the time but that really doesn't matter. We were sharing a path others can't or do not wish to follow. To me it's like a secret handshake - just grin, nod back and pass it along.

OP, I find the running community tends to be really supportive here and it's not uncommon for them to offer words of encouragement, particularly to new faces.

That's really the key. I'm on the trail 3-5 days a week at a couple different times. The usual suspects get a nod or a wave or good morning/evening--if I'm on a slower pace where I can spare the breath... but If I see a new face, I'm more likely to extend a "good job" or "looking good" or "keep at it"
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,987 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

That's really the key. I'm on the trail 3-5 days a week at a couple different times. The usual suspects get a nod or a wave or good morning/evening--if I'm on a slower pace where I can spare the breath... but If I see a new face, I'm more likely to extend a "good job" or "looking good" or "keep at it"

If a guy I've never seen before says "looking good" to me on the trail, I'm reaching for my pepper spray :smile:
    What's wrong with "hello"? I guess that's what I don't get.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    Moxie42 wrote: »
    I'm guessing it can vary a lot from one area to another. Living in Southern California, people usually avoid making eye contact with each other like their lives depend on it. When I visited Texas, I was floored by how friendly everyone was, even people just walking by. At first it felt really weird but then I realized- this is awesome!!!

It's not just Texas; it's pretty much the whole middle part of the country.

I was raised in the Midwest, where people generally don't acknowledge strangers. I joined the military and was stationed in the south, where I was shocked to find that everyone greeted and smiled at each other. I got used to this for a few years, and then returned to the Midwest, where people were annoyed when I greeted and smiled at them. I quickly returned to being a cold Midwesterner who minds his own business. True story

You must have had a different experience growing up in the Midwest than I did. When I lived there people were even friendlier than they are in Texas. It was the kind of place where people would wave at their neighbors, even if they had their backs turned, because they might turn around and see you before you get past.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    When I was in Minnesota, I found the place to be pretty frosty. Washington is a much more welcoming place.