Should women eat after a workout?

Options

Replies

• xmissxamyx
    xmissxamyx Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    According to studies men should workout BEFORE eating and women should workout AFTER eating.

(dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3388628/Men-exercise-eating-women-burn-fat-scientists-reveal.html )<<<<I know that's posted on DM and they're generally rubbish when it comes to facts but they're talking about studies done on a show called "Trust me Im a Doctor" which I watched and it was all very in depth all the science behind it so I would believe the results. On the same show they also proved that drinking protein shakes after a workout didn't really have any impact on muscle development if you were a "casual" weightlifter...so not someone who does it routinely to build muscle on top of muscle.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    xmissxamyx wrote: »
    ...I know that's posted on DM and they're generally rubbish when it comes to facts but they're talking about studies done on a show called "Trust me Im a Doctor" which I watched and it was all very in depth all the science behind it so I would believe the results...

Is that anything like the Dr. Oz show?
  • xmissxamyx
    xmissxamyx Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »

Good god no! :tongue:
    It was a show with actual doctors on it and they tested a lot of "wellness myths" to see if there was any truth to them basically. It had Dr. Michael Mosley on it, his the guy who "invented" the 5:2 diet and Chris van Tulleken is another of the doctors him and his twin brother Alexander have done quite a few programs like this. The people in it are quite well known in the UK and Australia.

I'd recommend checking it out I learnt a lot from it and also that there are a lot of damn scams in the health industry!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    xmissxamyx wrote: »
    ...I know that's posted on DM and they're generally rubbish when it comes to facts but they're talking about studies done on a show called "Trust me Im a Doctor" which I watched and it was all very in depth all the science behind it so I would believe the results...

Ugghh nothing like Dr Oz!! "Trust me I'm a doctor" also outs the diet scams and supplements that flood the market these days, so yeah, the polar opposite to Oz.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I think it is mainly down to preference. I tend to eat about half an hour to an hour after my workouts, because it fits so nicely in my life schedule that way. No other reason
  • ilyanna007
    ilyanna007 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I try to have a protein shake, to get through to food time. I honestly wouldn't be able to not ingest something.. I am famished when done. Eat when hungry! :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    what does a vagina have to do with this subject?

The slightly different body carb and fat portioning for exercise and rest between men and women (which makes little difference to weight management).
  • CrystalRoseMeow
    CrystalRoseMeow Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. If you are someone who is looking to perform (i.e. You want to run a faster time, lift heavier, essentially improve your performance and athleticism in any way regardless of if you are focusing on cardio or strength training) you NEED to replenish your body's natural stores with fast digesting protein and carbs immediately post workout-30 min (I use whey isolate and with country time lemonade during my training sessions). If you are simply exercising to for the sake of "calories out" or "cardio for fat loss" only eat after if it is a planned meal. Still would be smart to plan a fast digesting protein (like whey isolate) meal right after a workout in order to help your body recover and combat fatigue/sore muscles etc. Meal timing DOES have its uses but calories in vs calories out is about 60% of the big picture, macronutrient composition is about 20% macro nutrient timing vs workout timing (for performance purposes) is about 10% and the last 10% is little things like supplementation. Focus on the calories in vs calories out and then address the more complicated pieces of the puzzle as needed based on performance goals. There is no use stressing over macros and meal timing if your goal is not to be a bodybuilder/get a PR lift/PR time/etc.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    It depends on your goals. If you are someone who is looking to perform (i.e. You want to run a faster time, lift heavier, essentially improve your performance and athleticism in any way regardless of if you are focusing on cardio or strength training) you NEED to replenish your body's natural stores with fast digesting protein and carbs immediately post workout-30 min (I use whey isolate and with country time lemonade during my training sessions). If you are simply exercising to for the sake of "calories out" or "cardio for fat loss" only eat after if it is a planned meal. Still would be smart to plan a fast digesting protein (like whey isolate) meal right after a workout in order to help your body recover and combat fatigue/sore muscles etc. Meal timing DOES have its uses but calories in vs calories out is about 60% of the big picture, macronutrient composition is about 20% macro nutrient timing vs workout timing (for performance purposes) is about 10% and the last 10% is little things like supplementation. Focus on the calories in vs calories out and then address the more complicated pieces of the puzzle as needed based on performance goals. There is no use stressing over macros and meal timing if your goal is not to be a bodybuilder/get a PR lift/PR time/etc.

Not true unless you are an elite athlete training for a specific sport.

I'm trying to remember who has the chart that shows levels of importance... @ninerbuff, was it you?
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    jla2425 wrote: »
    Im getting mixed advice. Some say no eating for 90 minutes to 3 hours after a workout for maximum fat burn. Others say right after is best. Any advice ? Also i workout in the afternoon or evening. Ive always eaten something before regardless. I sometimes do cardio in the evening also so i can eat a bed time snack if im done my calories...

If I was hungry, I would eat. I don't really pay any attention to when others think I should eat.
  • quiksylver296
    Options

Not true unless you are an elite athlete training for a specific sport.

I'm trying to remember who has the chart that shows levels of importance... @ninerbuff, was it you?

Oh. Hey. I found it!

dok3it0qt3g9.png
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I like how sup's are the very top and tinest.

Almost everyone I know uses supplements.
    it makes me eye roll so hard- drink some god damn coffee and get back to work.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    I thought the rule was only real men are allowed to eat after a workout?
    :p

Only if it is not Quiche. :D
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I eat before, during, after...all the bagels.

Oh, you must be from Planet Fitness. ;)

No, no...I actually bring my own bagels.

A few months ago some dudes at my gym were snacking away on a box of Thin Mints between DL sets. I loved it! I wanted to be their friends, but didn't think I was cool enough.
  • quiksylver296
    Options

Right?!? I did PWO this morning (usually don't) because I slept terribly and had to be at the gym at 5:00. I didn't like it, and now I am totally crashing at work.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Eat when you want to eat. Unless you're a professional or an Olympian it makes zero difference. You'd have to do everything perfectly for it to matter. The only people who do are the people who are following the advice of personalized diet and exercise science like those I mentioned before.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    leajas1 wrote: »

A few months ago some dudes at my gym were snacking away on a box of Thin Mints between DL sets. I loved it! I wanted to be their friends, but didn't think I was cool enough.

I eat cake bites when I need food.
    Or sour patch kids. But gummy bears/sour patch kids are the lifters snack of choice at my gym- so it's not really special.

Right?!? I did PWO this morning (usually don't) because I slept terribly and had to be at the gym at 5:00. I didn't like it, and now I am totally crashing at work.

I'm hyper enough- people are like "you took too much preworkout" - I'm like- um- I didn't take anything- I just... super pumped about being here. - I can't imagine what that would do to me. Besides make me itch like ants.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    leajas1 wrote: »

I eat cake bites when I need food.
    Or sour patch kids. But gummy bears/sour patch kids are the lifters snack of choice at my gym- so it's not really special.

I'm hyper enough- people are like "you took too much preworkout" - I'm like- um- I didn't take anything- I just... super pumped about being here. - I can't imagine what that would do to me. Besides make me itch like ants.

The ON cake bites? So good.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    @leajas1 yaaaaaaaasssssssssss

I really love the birthdaycake ones- they are my official go to snack when I have no food. I can just grab them at the front desk and run w/ them. They just charge my card on file. #sodangerous