Could use some help

Options
13»

Replies

• ddaniellemariee7
    ddaniellemariee7 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Is there a reason that you're cutting out dairy and prepackaged food? Also, just because an ingredient is hard to pronounce, it doesn't make it bad for you.

There are no bad foods, just bad relationships to food (and incorrect portions).

I'm actually lactose intolerant so it's just easier to cut it out instead of dealing with the issues if I eat it. Most of the words I can't read tend to be like things used to help the food last longer, and I wanted to cut down on sodium that is in a lot of prepackaged foods

Those things should be the least of your worries right now. You need to get your calorie intake up to a reasonable level. Eating 450 calories of even the healthiest, most pure, organic, magically blessed food in the world is still worse for your health than sodium and preservatives.

The last two days have been better since I stopped taking the supplements, today and yesterday I was finally up to 900.
  • an0nemus
    an0nemus Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have a "therapist" i see, but told me to lose weight and only eat if i'm hungry. I can't find foods that she deems "healthy" in high enough calories and currently she sees nothing wrong with my intake. Like I try to eat, but even when I think I'll get more in, I don't. She only wants me eating things without labels and it's hard when I can't ear enough. She was great for recovery but she's not helping now and I hate seeing that i'm not meeting the calorie intake with her list.

Why is therapist in quotes?
    If she has food she deems 'healthy', does she have a published list we can look at? This sound kind of sketchy..
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    this therapist needs to be fired if they think there is nothing wrong with eating so little,Id stop worrying about trying to lose weight right now and try getting enough calories in first.even with iron supplements and multivitamins I dont see how you were making too much iron eating so little, unless you have an issue where your body makes too much?(forget what its called)

My body doesn't make enough iron and the doctor said taking too much and eating iron rich foods were making me sick because the supplements (i was getting 6x the amount i needed from supplements and vitamins) do make you sick if on an empty stomach but normally not to the point i was.

I know iron pills can make you sick on an empty stomach. I used to take them. so basically the drs overdosed you on iron? were they not monitoring your levels often? and most multivitamins dont contain much if any iron anymore. its crazy I would find different drs if it were me. because aside from the pills I dont see how you were eating a lot of iron rich foods eating only 450 calories
  • ddaniellemariee7
    Options
    an0nemus wrote: »
    I have a "therapist" i see, but told me to lose weight and only eat if i'm hungry. I can't find foods that she deems "healthy" in high enough calories and currently she sees nothing wrong with my intake. Like I try to eat, but even when I think I'll get more in, I don't. She only wants me eating things without labels and it's hard when I can't ear enough. She was great for recovery but she's not helping now and I hate seeing that i'm not meeting the calorie intake with her list.

If she has food she deems 'healthy', does she have a published list we can look at? This sound kind of sketchy..

She's a therapist but is also a nutritionist but i dont think the two should be in the same. The list she gave me, was a word document that she made, it isn't like a tyipcal list that i had been given in the past.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

She's a therapist but is also a nutritionist but i dont think the two should be in the same. The list she gave me, was a word document that she made, it isn't like a tyipcal list that i had been given in the past.

find a registered dietitian. and a new therapist
  • ddaniellemariee7
    Options
    this therapist needs to be fired if they think there is nothing wrong with eating so little,Id stop worrying about trying to lose weight right now and try getting enough calories in first.even with iron supplements and multivitamins I dont see how you were making too much iron eating so little, unless you have an issue where your body makes too much?(forget what its called)

My body doesn't make enough iron and the doctor said taking too much and eating iron rich foods were making me sick because the supplements (i was getting 6x the amount i needed from supplements and vitamins) do make you sick if on an empty stomach but normally not to the point i was.

I know iron pills can make you sick on an empty stomach. I used to take them. so basically the drs overdosed you on iron? were they not monitoring your levels often? and most multivitamins dont contain much if any iron anymore. its crazy I would find different drs if it were me. because aside from the pills I dont see how you were eating a lot of iron rich foods eating only 450 calories

The doctor gave me a prescription for iron pills and a multivitamin prescription that has iron in it, when he gave me the multivitamin my iron levels were still low and told me to take both, and didnt think it would have kicked in so to say as fast as it did. Hes a military doctor and tbh in my opiniom are pretty stupid anyway
  • ddaniellemariee7
    Options

find a registered dietitian. and a new therapist

That's what i am in the process of doing now, i see military doctors and the insurance doesnt see why i need two different people.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    You know, you could open your diet up a little bit. I'm sure your self-imposed restriction on packaged food isn't helping when your problem is that you need to get more varieties of food in your diet and not less. Simple-minded philosophies like "if the list has words i dont know, i dont eat it" sound good on a book blurb or in a blog, but they ignore the reality that we give comforting-sounding names to some things but not to others, even if both happen to be organic chemicals.

I'm sure you wouldn't eat any food that listed [(2E,4E,6E,8E)-3,7-Dimethyl-9-(2,6,6-trimethyl-1-cyclohexenyl)nona-2,4,6,8-tetraenyl] hexadecanoate on the label. But call it "Vitamin A" instead -- because that's what it is -- and I'm equally sure it'd be just fine.

That's not to say every complicated-sounding ingredient is truly benign, but the point is there's more to food safety than an easy vocabulary.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    My body doesn't make enough iron

No one's body makes iron. It's a mineral, an elemental metal, and we must get it from our diets. The issue is that for some people, the body releases more iron than they take in. For reasons that should be obvious, this happens more often with women than with men.

But I'm glad you found the problem!

My previous reply was posted before I read the entire thread, but I'm leaving it as-is in case you'd like to take it under advisement anyway. Too much sodium is a valid concern, particularly if you're sensitive to it, but providing food with a longer shelf-life by other means has been a boon in many ways.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason that you're cutting out dairy and prepackaged food? Also, just because an ingredient is hard to pronounce, it doesn't make it bad for you.

There are no bad foods, just bad relationships to food (and incorrect portions).

I'm actually lactose intolerant so it's just easier to cut it out instead of dealing with the issues if I eat it. Most of the words I can't read tend to be like things used to help the food last longer, and I wanted to cut down on sodium that is in a lot of prepackaged foods

There are a lot of words in here that a lot of people probably can't read/pronounce, yet I don't see it as an unhealthy food:

y40hnwoo7tn8.jpg
  • masaku_88
    masaku_88 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Smoothies can pack a pretty big calorie punch with little and easily digestable volume.
    Get creative add avocados, chia seeds, bananas, mangos, tahini (sesame seed butter calorically dense), pumpkin seeds,

Also I don't want to get tmi with you but be sure your getting enough fiber. You could be kind of backed up which would make you feel full all the time. Just a thought.

Good luck hope your able to eat more.