Peanut butter addiction

Options
So for some reason I am literally addicted to peanut butter.

I eat it by the spoon with nothing else - I'm finding lately it's just empty calories...I know it's okay for you in moderation...but I'm finding myself bingeing. I could try and say "I'll cut back", but once I start, I'm always going back for more..

Open to suggestions/tips/advice!

Is this holding me back? ...or will it?

Thanks!

Replies

• TooFitToQuit
    Options
    Try Better'n Peanut Butter. You'll only spend 100 cals and 2 g fat per 2 T! I love this stuff!
  • runner328
    runner328 Posts: 174
    Options
    I have a peanut butter & almond butter addiction. If it's possible maybe you should not buy any. Or buy the single serving packs!
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you!!! I'm one of those people who believes denial will only make you freak out and gorge. So with great discipline, and the constant reminding myself that this will not be the last time I will be able to eat peanut butter, I have learned to control my portions. A spoonful now and then and I'm good.

But ohhhh, i love it too. I even flat out say it in my profile, LOL!!! :wink:
  • TruckerChick
    TruckerChick Posts: 263
    Options
    Of course you could do the sensible thing and not buy it so it won't be in the house and where the temptation is the strongest. That's what I do with all my "snack" foods.....
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    Options
    Yummmmmm peanut butter! ;D
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I put it on celery so that at least I'm getting some good.
  • rachelerdelyi
    rachelerdelyi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions, however I still live at home! Rough day at work, and I'm right back into it...

Where can I buy this "better'n PB?"
  • hairjunkie
    hairjunkie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am the same way.. beyond addicted. I used to eat it by the spoonfuls all day long, and then wondered why I had gained 10 pounds! Ha, now I don't even keep it in the house, or else I will devour it!
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i LOVE pb too & could eat it by the jar with a spoon if i'm not careful to limit myself, esp when i'm pmsing.
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    I only eat it at work, I pack a tablespoon of peanut or almond or cashew butter and have it with celery and carrots. That way I can't go back and get more than I wanted. Also, I only eat the all natural stuff that's just ground nuts (we make our own actually).
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    your diet might be lacking something and body is craving it...
    PB2 is peanut powder without the fat and add to shakes for the taste of it.
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    PB2 is online their website just google it
    BetterNPeanut butter is at trader joes...that one has a different taste, its good but the powder tastes more like real stuff in shakes.
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    me 2! i love it on celery
  • tammyr76
    tammyr76 Posts: 174
    Options
    Pb and celery is my fav snack,i use Naturally more with omega 3 and flax seed.....try it on your toast as well..
  • TooFitToQuit
    Options
    I buy mine at Sprouts, but I know Better'n PB is available at Trader Joes, too. It comes in regular, chocolate and low sodium. I go for the low sodium.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I love PB2
  • msciaobella
    msciaobella Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    When I get my tablespoon fix, I put it on the highest shelf in the cabinet with a few cans of beans or soup on top, then lots of heavy items in front of it so I only take the time to dig for it if I REALLY need my PB lol.
  • CalPolyBronco
    CalPolyBronco Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Addictions can be so hard to cope with. Honestly, I would force myself to spread it on something. I think you enjoy the taste of PB but you continue to eat spoonfuls b/c you are not getting "full" from eating it. You would literally have to go through a 1/2 jar to even feel full. I would say, buy yourself some sandwich thins or a bagel. (Yes I know bagels aren't the *best* idea because they require you use up a lot of calories....but whatever will do, will do) and spread your PB on there. You are getting your PB taste and getting full at the same time. I agree though....Better'n PB is a great idea!!
  • Scrammit
    Scrammit Posts: 6
    Options
    You are human and we all have our vices but I am going to quote you on this "remember needs and wants".
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    It's always important to listen to your body's cues.
    You might need either a) more iron, b) more oils/fats, or c) more salt.
    Taking this into account, still have peanut butter, but combine it with something. I like to make basic cookies and add 2 TBS of peanut butter to the batter, so they taste like PB but without the 100 cals per tablespoon. Granted, I eat it out of the jar with a spoon sometimes.. but that's when it's TOM.
    And I found out I crave PB when I need iron. Are you taking a B supplement, or are you a vegetarian/don't eat a lot of meat?