Why is bread the enemy?

I know that there are a lot of people who eat low carb, and I understand the various reasons for that, though I don't eat that way myself.

But I feel like I'm always seeing people avoiding bread specifically without limiting other carbs or food made from processed grains. What's the reason for this? Why do so many people view bread as adversarial to weight loss?

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited June 2017
    Because those that have a low calorie goal often find other foods to either have better nutrition (more protein/fat, different micros) or be more satiating than bread. They have less room for 'extras', and if bread isn't a fairly high priority as far as food preferences go, it's often passed over.

If your calorie goal is higher, that may not be as big of a deal for you.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I will usually eat a sandwich for lunch but never eat bread at dinner anymore. It just an easy way to cut some calories.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    I rarely eat bread because I'd rather spend calories on other things. I like doorstop sandwiches, from "real" bread, not supermarket sliced crap. I'd probably spend half my days calories on bread, before fillings if I was to eat a Sandwich...not a great plan!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Bread is easily over eaten. It can be very difficult for some people to moderate their intake. So they cut it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Bread is generally a low moisture carb compared to, say, vegetables, so it has a higher caloric density. It's easy to overeat. Other refined carbs (like cold cereals and other low moisture grain products) have the power of advertising behind them with an artificial halo of health, so they don't usually get the same stick as bread. Pasta carries a similar stigma to bread for the same reason: it's simply too generic.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I eat less bread than I used to. I don't think it is bad to eat bread.
    Reasons I have reduced my bread consumption-
    calories vs satisfaction- if I have 1,200 to 1,400 calories using a bunch of my calories on bread isn't as filling as eating more protein or other more interesting foods
    sodium- bread can have a lot of sodium and I am trying to get less
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    I know that there are a lot of people who eat low carb, and I understand the various reasons for that, though I don't eat that way myself.

But I feel like I'm always seeing people avoiding bread specifically without limiting other carbs or food made from processed grains. What's the reason for this? Why do so many people view bread as adversarial to weight loss?

Because sadly they have been mis-informed and do not know any better...
  • cangler
    cangler Posts: 104 Member
    It's not... i love the Ezekiel Sprouted Bread, great carb source. :)
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    I eat bread everyday but its the light one from Sara lee
  • snallred0102
    snallred0102 Posts: 7 Member
    What is the healthiest bread you can buy at Walmart or similar grocery store?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

What would a "healthy" bread be for you? Are you looking for the lowest calorie? Fiber count? Higher protein? Certain micronutrients?
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    is it?
  • snallred0102
    snallred0102 Posts: 7 Member

What would a "healthy" bread be for you? Are you looking for the lowest calorie? Fiber count? Higher protein? Certain micronutrients?

I guess I'm just looking for a kind that benefits a super healthy diet. I am trying to lose about 10 pounds, but am more concerned with putting good calories in and getting the crap out. So I guess something high in fiber and/or protein but low in carbs.
  • dalerst
    dalerst Posts: 174 Member
    I eat bread but not as much as I used to and only on training days manly.