2»

Replies

• laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I would recommend vaping as an alternative to smoking and to help you quit...but if you aren't a smoker I wouldn't recommend getting on that wagon. It is uncertain how safe they are...for a smoker trying to quit, it's a better alternative than the smoking as studies have shown vaping to be safer, but more long term studies need to be done.

I used vaping to quit smoking and ultimately quit vaping...unfortunately after a few year, I picked up the vaping again during a very stressful time...trying to get off it again.

How did you quit the first time, if you dont mind me asking?

When I quit smoking cigarettes, I started vaping and kept the nicotine pretty high because I just wanted to focus on getting over the cigs and urge to smoke a real cig...I dialed down the nicotine a bit after about 5 or 6 months...after that I just committed myself to going down the next level every month until I was finally at zero.

I still vaped at zero for a few months, but then my vape pen crapped out on me and I didn't really see any need for a new one as my vaping had significantly declined anyway with the zero.

Unfortunately, last summer through fall was really stressful for me with things at work and then injuries sidelined me from cycling and lifting which are two things that really help me with my anxiety and stress...I picked up a pack of cigs and had a couple and then chucked them and went out and bought a new battery and some juice...I was at a 9 and just switched to 6 mg a couple of weeks ago.

Yeah going down in the nicotine seems the best way, Ill get a lower dosage next time I need more and continue to do that, did you have any withdraw symptoms? Every time I dont vape for several hours I get this weird like sore throat thing going on lol

Every time I went down, the next couple of days felt a little off, but nothing major as it was pretty slow weening down process.

Thanks so much! Its really time I quit, so I appreciate the advice!
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    angelxsss wrote: »
    I totally thought this was a joke post

Me too. Today I learned, lol...
  • sugarstrawberries
    sugarstrawberries Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Chew gum. You won't be satisfied without the act of chewing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Pupslice wrote: »

Me too. Today I learned, lol...

It actually comes up a lot on the e-cig forum, but for the most part people there are reformed smokers and vaping helps them with the weight issues that typically arise from eating more when you quit smoking.
  • Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Ok, clear up some common misconceptions here

A recent study University of Vancouver I believe went so far as to say vaping is 94% less harmful than smoking. How accurate is that I don't know, but pretty much every study concludes its MUCH less harmful than smoking. There are 4 ingredients in Vape juice. Vegetable Glycerin (used in cooking), Polyproplene Glycol (inhalers), Nicotine (or not!) and artificial flavoring, she same stuff used for all the various packaged foods we eat. That's it.

Vape juice can have a ton of Nicotine or none, your choice. Nicotine is not harmful in itself, and in fact some studies are showing it may have minor health benefits.....but it IS what you get addicted to whether you smoke or vape. If you're a non smoker, get 0 nic juice. It has more of a pure taste anyways.
  • Rufftimes
    Options
    Does it help with cravings? I find it does immensely, but that may just be me. Right now my vape is loaded with strawberry cheesecake lol
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Vaping is a good alternative to cigarettes but I would never ever recommend it to someone who doesn't smoke cigs. Most of them have nicotine- don't sign yourself up for a nicotine addiction. If you get the kind without nicotine, the effects are debatable- it's not as unhealthy as cigs but that doesn't mean there are zero negative effects- personally I ended up with a lung infection and I didn't even use it a whole lot, and even without the infection my breathing was only marginally improved compared to when I was smoking. The way I think of it is- my lungs are meant to breathe air. Not smoke, not water vapor, not chemicals, etc. So if I put those things into my lungs, my lungs are going to fight back. Hence the breathing issues until I stopped vaping. Others may have different experiences but that was mine.

Why not try something that you can do virtually anywhere and without worrying about side-effects? Chewing gum, mints, hard candies (sugar-free if you're worried about cals), drinking water through a straw, etc.
  • Rufftimes
    Options
    I vape because I quit smoking.. I gained 20lbs since quitting.

Vaping does not curb your appetite.

Maybe you should work on your oral fixation in other ways...

Never said it curbed appetite, and I don't think that was the question asked. Does it help with a sweet craving? For me it does. I lost 30 lbs since quitting smoking....never gained an ounce

• MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    Moxie42 wrote: »
    Vaping is a good alternative to cigarettes but I would never ever recommend it to someone who doesn't smoke cigs. Most of them have nicotine- don't sign yourself up for a nicotine addiction. If you get the kind without nicotine, the effects are debatable- it's not as unhealthy as cigs but that doesn't mean there are zero negative effects- personally I ended up with a lung infection and I didn't even use it a whole lot, and even without the infection my breathing was only marginally improved compared to when I was smoking. The way I think of it is- my lungs are meant to breathe air. Not smoke, not water vapor, not chemicals, etc. So if I put those things into my lungs, my lungs are going to fight back. Hence the breathing issues until I stopped vaping. Others may have different experiences but that was mine.

Why not try something that you can do virtually anywhere and without worrying about side-effects? Chewing gum, mints, hard candies (sugar-free if you're worried about cals), drinking water through a straw, etc.

I agree with the post!

but you technically do inhale water vapour, you also expell water from your lungs. It's why you get visible breath in winter. it can be up to 70ml per hour when exercising! :lol:
  • WeAreTheMassacre
    WeAreTheMassacre Posts: 49 Member
    Options

So did I, but I assume any one that uses the word vape does so ironically.
    This topic title would make a great meme.
    Or band name.
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    Options

all this oral fixation talk has given me the vapors
  • HollyJean2013
    HollyJean2013 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I started vaping to quit smoking cigs. I love it and does help my hand to mouth habit otherwise I end up binging on sugary​ foods. I find sometimes I crave the flavor I'm vaping...like fruity pebbles donuts make me want a donut lol So my adv is circus bear by vape wild which is a strawberry banana custard ❤❤❤ I don't feel bad about vaping at all. It smells good and my kids appreciate that. My lungs can handle some serious cardio where they couldn't with cigs. I think only you can decide what's best for you...We can only share our stories. I'm not worried about it being harmful bc nicotine is just added to pg/vg. Cigs we're way worse and binge eating sugar is probably just as bad
  • Katagara
    Katagara Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I used vaping to curb my night time snacking habit, worked great. I can watch tv and not have chips and pop. I'm not a smoker so my juices were nicotine free. I got various flavours and tanks because the intensity of the flavours do need to be changed up or you stop enjoying them.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a bad idea.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Rufftimes wrote: »
    "...but it IS what you get addicted to whether you smoke or vape. If you're a non smoker, get 0 nic juice. It has more of a pure taste anyways."

It's not all that you are addicted to with cigarettes. Tobacco companies have added, over the years, additional chemicals that create a stronger and more intense addiction. Those chemicals are the ones that give you that immediate high/light headed feeling when smoking a cigarette after not having one for a few hours. Nicotine is more of a long term addiction, and many people find that switching to vaping from smoking is much harder because it takes a good week or more to ween yourself from those additional chemicals (MAOI's, Tar, 3998ish other chemicals.., etc.) and their effects. Sure, if you're using e-liquid with nicotine you're still feeding that addiction, but it can easily be lowered over time and eliminated. It's those other chemicals that reinforce the immediate need to grab another cigarette. E-liquid has none of those chemicals with the exception of nicotine. Food for thought.

• tmemery
    tmemery Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just a thought but Studies have also shown that using artificial sweeteners still raises your insulin levels. The point being that trying to trick your body may not always work the way you think. I work at a mine and we deal with issues involving inhalation of all kinds of dust and chemicals, so I'd keep anything unnatural out of my lungs. usually once the damage is done it's irreversible.