Soda Replacement

Options
13»

Replies

• Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking diet coke as much more for money than anything else (my habit had grown large and expensive) but I still drink it every so often. I used LaCroix as a replacement for a while (more expensive by case, but I was drinking it a lot slower), as well as regular water and coffee. I am now pretty much down to just water and coffee, with the occasional diet soda while I am out.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    masaku_88 wrote: »
    A diet soda once in a while wont kill you, but knocking back several every day is definitely not good for you. Moderation.

Unless you're drinking several gallons every day there's no significant negative impact.
    Not from the sweeteners, but diet sodas (or any sodas, really) contain several acids that could damage your teeth if you drink a lot regularly.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    A diet soda once in a while wont kill you, but knocking back several every day is definitely not good for you. Moderation.

Unless you're drinking several gallons every day there's no significant negative impact.
    Not from the sweeteners, but diet sodas (or any sodas, really) contain several acids that could damage your teeth if you drink a lot regularly.

you could also die from drinking too much water....
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »

NO worse than the acids in tea, coffee or artificially carbonated waters like LaCroix.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I gave up sugar soda's, just fort he calories. I'm not the biggest fan of artificial sweeteners so don't drink a lot of diet pop. I just don't like the taste of them is all. But my Sodastream is getting a huge workout these days and I'm fine without adding any flavour and just drinking it straight. It just has to be cold is all. I'll go through a canister in a couple of weeks.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I love love love zero calorie monster. I pretty much live off it.
  • fizzfizzbang
    fizzfizzbang Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners do much more than act as a carcinogen, they can also mimic early onset Alzheimers and trigger many other reactions that people think something else is causing. Splenda isn't any better. If you *must* go with a non sugar sweetener, go with stevia, which is completely natural and has been used for hundreds of years. It takes getting used to, you probably won't like it the first few times you try it, and a small subset of people experience it as a very bitter taste (like me). :(

I used to hate seltzer until I tried La Croix! I don't like all of the flavors, but Mango, Lime, and the new Tangerine are all super good. My favorite is the blackberry cucumber by a looooooooong shot.

There's also Izze, which is just fruit juice and soda water. Still lots of sugar but better for you than soda and will scratch that itch (especially the peach one, oh my gawd).

If you just want to do baby steps, Coke makes a half stevia half sugar soda now called Coke Life. I really like it even though I can't do pure stevia.
  • fizzfizzbang
    fizzfizzbang Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I guess instead of buying Izze you could probably just do that with a SodaStream, haha.
  • iheartmakeup01
    iheartmakeup01 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'd stay away from the sparkling water it contains the ingredient "suraclose" fake sugar worse than real sugar.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I'd stay away from the sparkling water it contains the ingredient "suraclose" fake sugar worse than real sugar.
    Ugh! Nope!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

lolnope.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    aylamarcos wrote: »
    Many people don't like it but I absolutely love Zevia. About 5 different flavors, my favorite is Dr Zevia.

Zevia is a good one (they use Stevia as a sweetener)

I'd love to try and find La Croix (nothing but 'natural' flavors) - flavors like lime/coconut or strawberry, etc., sodium free too

I use a Soda Stream now - I put a sprinkle of stevia in it with some lime or lemon juice.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    What ever you do, I'd stay away from artificial sweeteners. They are terribly unhealthy! Google it. Articles can be found everywhere.

And there are numerous peer-reviewed studies showing they are harmless.

edited to say that YMMV (your mileage may vary). I can take Tylenol with no problems, but someone else may have an adverse reaction to it. Certainly with foods and additives this can also happen. Some people are indeed more sensitive to artificial sweeteners.
  • cherrypalmosa
    cherrypalmosa Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Diet soda fits for me. I love the different blend of flavours knowing that its sugar free and calorie free.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners do much more than act as a carcinogen, they can also mimic early onset Alzheimers and trigger many other reactions that people think something else is causing. Splenda isn't any better. If you *must* go with a non sugar sweetener, go with stevia, which is completely natural and has been used for hundreds of years. It takes getting used to, you probably won't like it the first few times you try it, and a small subset of people experience it as a very bitter taste (like me). :(

I used to hate seltzer until I tried La Croix! I don't like all of the flavors, but Mango, Lime, and the new Tangerine are all super good. My favorite is the blackberry cucumber by a looooooooong shot.

There's also Izze, which is just fruit juice and soda water. Still lots of sugar but better for you than soda and will scratch that itch (especially the peach one, oh my gawd).

If you just want to do baby steps, Coke makes a half stevia half sugar soda now called Coke Life. I really like it even though I can't do pure stevia.

That is completely untrue.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Ugh. Source (a reputable one, please).
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Source?
  • tracey1415
    tracey1415 Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I use the Mio water flavor additive and find it has been a very easy changeover. There are a wide variety of flavors to choose from. Negative side it is not fizzy or carbonated if that's what you are looking for.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I too thought I loved sodas but it's actually the carbonation I crave. As a relplacement I got a Soda Stream. It carbonates water. If I want flavor I'll add some juice. Grape is my favorite. You can add other pre-packaged flavorings to it as well. With the juice in in control of how much I add, if any.

If you're too busy to make it yourself, just drink club soda or sparking water plain and add some juice there too if you like.

Kombucha is a great choice also! As well as water kefir. I make this at home and it's delicious!

What ever you do, I'd stay away from artificial sweeteners. They are terribly unhealthy! Google it. Articles can be found everywhere.
    How about you post some peer reviewed scientific studies and articles to back up such...bloated claim. Google is not a reputable source.

There are plenty of adticles saying vaccines cause autism too. That doesn't make it true. Look for the peer reviewed studies, and large studies done over several years. Those are tbe ones that have actual work and weight behind them. The otbers that you see on alternative/natural sites are almost completely anecdotal at best and outright and intentionally misleading at worst.