Suggestions please...

Options
This is Day 4 on MFP and I've got our first weekly grocery shop in a couple of days for two of us. I seem to have a lot of salad & a protein for lunch because my brain is not used to working with healthy food and I don't want to get bored.

Any suggestions for breakfasts/lunches or items that I should have on my list would be much appreciated. :-)

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Eggs. Egg whites. Yoghurt (I go low fat and get fat elsewhere). Frozen fruit/vegies. Fresh fruit/vegies - I go with what's in season, and try to eat similar things over the week so I don't waste food.

Meat and seafood - I get bulk and freeze in portions
  • Misskcm
    Misskcm Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Breakfast:
    Fruit smoothies
    Overnight oats
    Eggs
    Low fat/sugar yogurt
    Fruit

Lunches:
    Lettuce wraps
    Nuts
    Fruit
    eggs
    Quinoa with chicken and a veggie

There are so many things you can do especially if you have access to a microwave for lunch. If you haven't already look on Pinterest for healthy to lunch ideas and healthy breakfast you should.
  • Sunshine6909
    Sunshine6909 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

Salads are NOT your life now. A good start is eating what you like in smaller portions. Then start swapping out ingredients for healthier versions.

Oh thank you! Yum, yum! So many great suggestions! I will sit down & write out a few meals before the shop so I don't buy random stuff! :-)
  • Sunshine6909
    Options
    Misskcm wrote: »
    If you haven't already look on Pinterest for healthy to lunch ideas and healthy breakfast you should.

Thanks for the suggestions. Pintrest is a good idea. I've always wondered about Quinoa but have never tried it. Also, I don't work so I have acces to my kitchen, pantry & microwave. :-)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

Salads are NOT your life now. A good start is eating what you like in smaller portions. Then start swapping out ingredients for healthier versions.

Oh thank you! Yum, yum! So many great suggestions! I will sit down & write out a few meals before the shop so I don't buy random stuff! :-)

I actually love salad... But substantial salads! So many variables - different vegies, some cooked, some raw, add ins like cheese, nuts, seeds, grains, noodles, avo, bacon etc then protein - meat, fish, eggs or tofu/tempeh/seitan etc.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    You don't need to make dramatic changes. As someone else said, eat the things you like, just in smaller portions. That said, this is an excellent time to get creative and try new foods :). And yes, salads should be substantial! I just had salad for dinner that clocked in at 2700kj (extra halloumi tonight cos I have a billion cals from hiking today).

If you like yoghurt, try the Anchor Greek yoghurt. Has an awesome nutritional profile (lots of protein), and is delish. I have mine with fruit and LSA (ground linseed, almond, and sunflower seeds), but you could also do cereal.
  • Rognvaldr
    Rognvaldr Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have started a glycemic index diet. http://www.the-gi-diet.org/whatisthegidiet/

It is the most undietlike diet I've ever been on. Look at the GI Diet site. There are recipes.
  • Sunshine6909
    Options
    @livingleanlivingclean yes I do get stuck in a rut thinking salads are tomato, cucumber, lettuce (green leafies), spring onion, greated carrot, maybe greated cheese, possibly with gherkin or egg on the side.

Cooked vegies, nuts & seeds, bacon etc all sound yum! :-)
  • Sunshine6909
    Options
    @Nony_Mouse hehe... I like KFC, McDonalds, Fish n Chips, and chocolate, (tho not together.) This time round I am not missing them. I guess I've just never been good a creating dishes. You know, meat & 3 vegie. Oh dear that sounds terrible!

Im getting the feeling that cooking new foods & creating new dishes could have an added positivity to my life.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    @Nony_Mouse hehe... I like KFC, McDonalds, Fish n Chips, and chocolate, (tho not together.) This time round I am not missing them. I guess I've just never been good a creating dishes. You know, meat & 3 vegie. Oh dear that sounds terrible!

Im getting the feeling that cooking new foods & creating new dishes could have an added positivity to my life.

Haha, okay, well you'll find yourself pretty hungry if you tried to fit those into your calorie allowance on a daily basis!

Do you like soups? I can give you my recipes for Pumpkin and ginger and Carrot, orange and ginger soups if you'd like. Make a big pot on a Sunday, portion it out into pottles, and voila, lunch for the week sorted!
  • Sunshine6909
    Options
    Oh yes please @Nony_Mouse! :-) My hubby likes pumpkin soup too, tho not pumpkin... go figure! :-)
  • Sunshine6909
    Options
    @Rognvaldr looks like there are some good recipies on the GI Duet site, including a chocolate mousse thats only 147 cals.

Thanks. :-)
  • daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I think it's good to have few quick options that work for those days when you don't have much time to think about creative meal.
    For this reason I try to always have:
    - oats + yoghurt + banana + walnuts
    - polenta + salsa sauce
    - eggs + greens (makes a quick dinner)
    - cheese + greens (makes also a quick dinner)
    - frozen fish + potatoes (great cooked lunch done in less then half an hour)
    - frozen seafood + rice (risotto, rice seafood salad..)

Root veggies like carrots, potatoes, onions, celery are staples for any stew so we try to have them available also.

We love also beans, but they require more preparation time with soaking, long cooking etc...
  • Sunshine6909
    Options
    @daneejela I have never had polenta. Hubby just googled it for me... so many things you can do with it! :-) lol.

• daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    @daneejela I have never had polenta. Hubby just googled it for me... so many things you can do with it! :-) lol.

Oh, I love it! It is pretty much all carbs, but it gives you so much fulness for not so much calories.

• mlsh1969
    mlsh1969 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I like the Dannon Greek Yogurt Crunch
  • Rognvaldr
    Options
    @Rognvaldr looks like there are some good recipies on the GI Duet site, including a chocolate mousse thats only 147 cals.

:)

I've also found some good recipes here. http://allrecipes.com/recipes/15587/healthy-recipes/low-glycemic-impact/

• Rognvaldr
    Options

:)

I've also found some good recipes here. http://allrecipes.com/recipes/15587/healthy-recipes/low-glycemic-impact/

• WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I love a good salad, too. But my significant other does All of the cooking and food prep and our salad is saved under "The Big Salad" in my foods list for a reason. They're HUGE and I have to save them for days where I have tons of exercise calories. They come in at around 850 calories even though we use no meat.

They have mixed romaine and butterleaf lettuce, spinach leaves, 2 homemade pickled red beet eggs (chopped), pickles, black olives, artichoke hearts, chick peas, tomatoes, raw broccoli, cauliflower, cubed muenster cheese, pickled beets, avocado, a bit of nutritional yeast, crushed walnut, and a no more than 8 large garlic croutons. Topped with "Annie's Organic Artichoke Parmesan" dressing.

It's definitely plenty for dinner!