How fat is too fat to ride a rollercoster?

Options
weightloss_acc
weightloss_acc Posts: 109 Member
edited June 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
?

Replies

• DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    If that is you... not you.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    DanniB423 wrote: »
    If that is you... not you.

Yep, not even close.

As to the original question, when you can't be fastened in securely.
  • weightloss_acc
    Options
    I have a heart defect it caused me to gain allot in a year . That was me a year ago now I weigh like 250
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    It doesn't typically go by number, but rather the security of the safety equipment closing on you correctly etc...I don't ride them but my husband does and he is a big guy...not sure if that helps any
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    It doesn't typically go by number, but rather the security of the safety equipment closing on you correctly etc.
    ^^^^^
    This.
    When I was a kid, my dad rode with me on my first ride.
    He was a little over 250 and 5'11" at the time & had no problems with the bars, belts, and other securing equipment.
  • professorbluestocking
    Options
    It's not necessary a "fatness." Some big guys have problems, and barrel-chested individuals. Weight won't generally determine, although some rides will tell you online if a certain weight is necessary. It generally comes down to bars and belts. If they can't get them on you, you can't ride for safety reasons. I have a friend who's bottom-heavy, but smaller on top, and she couldn't ride the Batman ride, but she could ride Mr. Freeze.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I would check the heart condition roller coating idea with doc. That would make me very nervous.

As for weight in it, I'd assume all are different and where your weight is might make a difference. For that, contact the park.
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Really depends where that weight is. Around the waist/boobs might incur a seatbelt problem.

Regardless if you have a heart problem you won't be allowed on any rollercoaster.
  • weightloss_acc
    Options
    Well I don't know
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Usually if you go to the website of the amusement park you are going to they will list restrictions for the rides - including weight. It all depends on the rollercoaster - type of seat, etc. The heart condition would probably also be an issue as others have mentioned.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    At 250 (5'3") I could ride everything at Six Flags New England, though I frequently needed help getting buckled/locked in. At around 180 (I think) I had zero trouble.

And yes to checking with your doc first about the heart condition.
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I was able to ride all the roller coasters that wanted to at 5'-7", 240lbs several years back. We live close to Six Flags Great America and would go a few times each summer, plus take a road trip to Cedar Point every other year or so.

I still had problems with the over-the-head restraints last year at ~210...but mostly for comfort. Those just weren't made for large breasted ladies. I'm expecting I'll be down below 190 by the time we make another visit in a month or so, so I hope it's more comfortable.

I have noticed that some of the restraints for the more aggressive coasters coming out recently have more stringent weight & size requirements. However, even my husband at 6'-1" 280 has only not been able to buckle his seat once. It was for a suspended wing coaster and he couldn't get the buckle to clasp when checking at the line entrance.

So, if you're planning a trip, I don't think you'll have too much of a problem physically fitting. Many coasters may have an example of the restraints at the entrance so you can try it out before you wait.

The heart condition has already been discussed...please be careful and don't risk further complications if your heart can't handle the stress!
  • erienneb66
    erienneb66 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    For me, I stopped fitting in coasters when I was about a size 18-20 in my hips. I'm also 6' tall and that means I just don't fit many places because it was heartbreaking. I didn't feel that big and I felt like there were shorter people than me who were much wider, but proportionally, they may have been wider in appearance, but they weren't as big as I was. I won't go back until I'm down to like a 16 because it was a horrifying experience and a huge money sink.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    From the six flags disability page (which is pretty universal):

jwjz7u3zqgf7.png

So you won't be allowed on any ride that has the heart symbol-which is usually almost all roller coasters.
  • Paschen81
    Paschen81 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Most coasters go by if you fit in the seat and harness and many have test seats at the entrance to each coaster to see if you 1. Fit in the seat 2. Can fasten/pull down the shoulder restraints. The only thing you can't tell using the test seat is if you are too tall. I had one coaster I fit in the test seat so waited through the 3hr line only to find my legs in the way of pulling the shoulder harness down far enough to click twice. Talk about being pissed. Ah well.
  • daniel_parrett
    daniel_parrett Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    the last time I went, I was 275 and some of the rides barely latched on me... body comp probably has more of an effect than actual weight. 6 flags had a car out front of most of their rides so you could see if it fit before getting in line.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    At 250 (5'3") I could ride everything at Six Flags New England, though I frequently needed help getting buckled/locked in. At around 180 (I think) I had zero trouble.

And yes to checking with your doc first about the heart condition.

I actually went back and checked, and I was 200 lbs when I first went after starting to lose.