Can I accidentally bulk?

Options

Replies

• Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If you're eating a surplus of calories and lifting you will put on both muscle and fat...the bigger the surplus, the more fat you'll put on.

The big caveat here is lifting, there's a difference between lifting weights up and down and thinking you'll gain muscle doing this AND lifting heavier and heavier things up and down, getting stronger, and actually gaining muscle. You NEED a properly structured progressive overload lifting program. You must lift at an Effective volume, one that triggers muscle growth, otherwise marathoners would be JACKED.
  • Rusty740
    Options
    Caporegiem wrote: »
    Whatever you do, don't take creatine.

What is that? Lol

If you must know....

On a cold Friday afternoon, I had come home from school. I had been thinking of the gym all day. I was hungry, didn't have any lunch. In fact, I didn't eat because I spent the money. For the past month I was saving up for something. Something special which I bought at GNC. I was surprised they didn't ask for ID; I was pretty sure the cashier noticed how nervous I was. Anyways, my mom asked my how my day was when I got home, but I ignored her. I have more important things to do. I run to the bathroom and unpack my bag. In my school bag is a white plastic bag from GNC. I open the bag, first removing the receipt and flushing it down the toilet to get rid of the evidence. My heart was racing now. I unpack the creatine monster from the bag.

I wonder what people will be asking me when they see that I will be 50lbs heavier. Should I say I was just eating a lot? I remove the label from the tub and tear it into a thousand small pieces. I flush that down the toilet, too. It is time now. I run up to my room when my mom ask me what I am holding. I panic, sweat drips down my forehead and my teeth chatter. "Mom, it's just for a school project". "What project?" "I don't know mom I just started it!". A tear runs down my cheek. I run upstairs and open the creatine, scooping upservings into a clear water bottle. What have I gotten myself into? I fill it with water and drink it. There is no turning back now. The creatine monster is inside me now, it will control me. What should I do if I die? I cant let my family know about this.

I open the creatine tub and throw it all out the window; a white cloud of mysterious dust sparkles into the wind so graciously. I feel the substance taking control of me; I am now the monster. I walk downstairs, its time to work out; time to get big. Now I worry, I don't want to get too big; people will think I use steroids. I do use steroids. No I don't. Creatine. All I see is the weights now, I am almost downstairs when I hear "Do you want a cookie I just baked". I know I do not have time for this **** now. "No mom I do not want a cookie" I walk in the basement and drop to my knees before the weights, tears running down my cheeks. I turn to the right and look at myself in the mirror. Oh god, what have I done?

Best post ever.
  • Jockamo319
    Jockamo319 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Too funny
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

What is that? Lol

If you must know....

On a cold Friday afternoon, I had come home from school. I had been thinking of the gym all day. I was hungry, didn't have any lunch. In fact, I didn't eat because I spent the money. For the past month I was saving up for something. Something special which I bought at GNC. I was surprised they didn't ask for ID; I was pretty sure the cashier noticed how nervous I was. Anyways, my mom asked my how my day was when I got home, but I ignored her. I have more important things to do. I run to the bathroom and unpack my bag. In my school bag is a white plastic bag from GNC. I open the bag, first removing the receipt and flushing it down the toilet to get rid of the evidence. My heart was racing now. I unpack the creatine monster from the bag.

I wonder what people will be asking me when they see that I will be 50lbs heavier. Should I say I was just eating a lot? I remove the label from the tub and tear it into a thousand small pieces. I flush that down the toilet, too. It is time now. I run up to my room when my mom ask me what I am holding. I panic, sweat drips down my forehead and my teeth chatter. "Mom, it's just for a school project". "What project?" "I don't know mom I just started it!". A tear runs down my cheek. I run upstairs and open the creatine, scooping upservings into a clear water bottle. What have I gotten myself into? I fill it with water and drink it. There is no turning back now. The creatine monster is inside me now, it will control me. What should I do if I die? I cant let my family know about this.

I open the creatine tub and throw it all out the window; a white cloud of mysterious dust sparkles into the wind so graciously. I feel the substance taking control of me; I am now the monster. I walk downstairs, its time to work out; time to get big. Now I worry, I don't want to get too big; people will think I use steroids. I do use steroids. No I don't. Creatine. All I see is the weights now, I am almost downstairs when I hear "Do you want a cookie I just baked". I know I do not have time for this **** now. "No mom I do not want a cookie" I walk in the basement and drop to my knees before the weights, tears running down my cheeks. I turn to the right and look at myself in the mirror. Oh god, what have I done?
    Edge of my seat the entire time.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options

What is that? Lol

If you must know....

I think I love you.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I never knew that creatine has been my problem all this time! Thank you.
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    I still don't know what it is!
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options

Let it stay that way, ignorance is bliss when it comes to creatine. The more you learn about it the more tempting it becomes. I'm a lost soul but you still have a chance.
  • llaurenmarie
    Options

Let it stay that way, ignorance is bliss when it comes to creatine. The more you learn about it the more tempting it becomes. I'm a lost soul but you still have a chance.

I am assuming for muscle building. I don't even wanna do a google.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

It potentially increases the hydration level of your muscles, which improves both recovery and work volume. It shows the greatest benefit to strength training AKA progressive overload, but studies have shown a statistically significant but relatively minor improvement to steady state aerobic work as well.

For many people it also has undesirable GI effects to include bloating, gas, and loose stool. If you're using creatine, it's best to increase your water consumption.

For me, I have found that the GI effects are minimalized when I'm working at a higher training level.
  • llaurenmarie
    Options

It potentially increases the hydration level of your muscles, which improves both recovery and work volume. It shows the greatest benefit to strength training AKA progressive overload, but studies have shown a statistically significant but relatively minor improvement to steady state aerobic work as well.

For many people it also has undesirable GI effects to include bloating, gas, and loose stool. If you're using creatine, it's best to increase your water consumption.

For me, I have found that the GI effects are minimalized when I'm working at a higher training level.
    Thanks for the breakdown. Due to already sensitive GI, I will skip it.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    If you're eating a surplus of calories and lifting you will put on both muscle and fat...the bigger the surplus, the more fat you'll put on.
    Makes sense.
    Was kind of hoping for a butt with these added squats.

you also need to factor in your current body fat % as that will determine your muscle to fat gain ratio..

if
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Makes sense.
    Was kind of hoping for a butt with these added squats.

IF you want to work towards a butt... do exercises that strengthen your glutes... Flutter kicks are great for that....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    i would suggest getting your logging under control so that you know how many calories per day you are consuming. I would also suggesting tracking your macros and make sure that you are getting adequate nutrition. If you want to run a proper bulk you need consistent training + consistent calorie surplus + macro/micro adherence.
  • Rusty740
    edited June 2017
    Options

It's actually not a big deal, not illegal, not unsafe etc also not magic.
  • llaurenmarie
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »

It's actually not a big deal, not illegal, not unsafe etc also not magic.
    Everyone's looking for magic these days
  • joelartygreenwood
    joelartygreenwood Posts: 11 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Creatine is performance enhancing, but allowed by the Olympics, sports associations etc because it's naturally found in steak, chicken etc. It's pretty inexpensive (two types, the cheaper monohydrate is proven/better studied). It's great when you're cutting (gives you more energy when you lift) and it's great when you're bulking (gives you more energy when you lift).

It's one of the few supplements that is unarguably effective.

It also tastes and has the texture of white sand.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    It also tastes and has the texture of white sand.

Yup, I just pour a heaping teaspoon right into my mouth and then wash it down with water. It doesn't dissolve very well in cold or room temp water and I've never liked adding it to my coffee. I used to hate seeing the grit at the bottom of a protein shake - seemed like a waste.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Dumb question- why don't you just get your s**t together and monitor your food so you aren't just hoping?