Sugar & Weight Loss?

Hi guys, so I eat a lot of sugar and am over my limit of 75g I think it is a day, quite often, although never over my calorie limit. I've been trying to cut back on sugar but it's hard. Will me eating a ton of sugar slow my weight loss even if I do stay under my calorie limit? TIA!

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Speaking purely in terms of weight loss, calories are all that matter.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    And unless you have a medical reason to limit sugar it doesn't matter to weight loss if you go over your sugar allotment for the day provided you remain in a calorie deficit while doing so.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Remember that MFP doesn't differentiate processed, junk sugars from sugars in fruits, veggies, and dairy. So don't let those "___ goal" warnings scare you. If you find sugars are a factor in your weight, health, or hunger....be cautious and assess your intake. But its probably that you're eating more fresh fruits and veggies that day.
  • ginahogue
    ginahogue Posts: 1 Member
    i am a 24/7 caregiver for a quadriplegic husband. My tendencies have been for the last 16 years, to take care of him and not myself. I am now type 2 diabetic. SO, it is now time for me. I could go all day and not eat but then when i would crash i would eat carbs, sugar and not feel well. I found Fitness Pal. I use it to hold myself accountable to EAT. And it works. I cut or limited added sugar, eat meals, and have lost 14 lbs with little or no effort in 6 months. I went for my diabetic checkup yesterday. My A1C is 5.9, I will admit to medication as well, blood pressure 110/60, I will admit to medication as well. I feel better than I have in years. I celebrated with ICE CREAM.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,996 Member
    Yes, eating excessive amounts of sugar will slow your weight loss if it causes you to go over your dietary limit AND may negatively affect your health.

So, it's best to eliminate as much refined and processed sugar from your diet if you can.