Protein supplements - advice req

Options
Hanlonx
Hanlonx Posts: 53 Member
Hi Guys,

Macros have recently been adjusted (from 60g to 70/80g), I dislike eating the majority of meat/fish and only eat chicken about three times a month.

Looking for a protein powder that I can use to help me boost my intake? Lowish in carbs & sugar that also tastes nice and not like chalk like ones I have tried in the past!

I've been recommended the following, any input or flavours you would recommend?

Optimum Nutrition - Gold Standard 100% Whey
Bulk Powder - Isolate
Under Armour - Super Quad Protein

Also, should I pay attention to brands like PHDNutriton, Bulk Powders, MyProtein or Maxi Nutrition to stick to the above? - student discount avail!! :D

Replies

• postchi1
    postchi1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi Hanlonx,

Sure best tip i can give is make sure you are getting a variety of proteins (meat, dairy etc).

Optimum Nutrition - amazing product (Choc mint/double choc id say) - slightly on the pricey side though. Bulk powders isnt bad much cheaper and solid product good macros etc.

BPI whey HD is good also, again a premium brad but has cookie dough bits in the powder which is awesome.

I dont think you can really go very wrong with whey protein so all mentioned will do the job, trail and error is probs best was of finding your favorite.

Maybe get some samples of each brand see what you think )
  • Hanlonx
    Options
    postchi1 wrote: »
    Hi Hanlonx,

Sure best tip i can give is make sure you are getting a variety of proteins (meat, dairy etc).

Optimum Nutrition - amazing product (Choc mint/double choc id say) - slightly on the pricey side though. Bulk powders isnt bad much cheaper and solid product good macros etc.

BPI whey HD is good also, again a premium brad but has cookie dough bits in the powder which is awesome.

I dont think you can really go very wrong with whey protein so all mentioned will do the job, trail and error is probs best was of finding your favorite.

Maybe get some samples of each brand see what you think )

I have just been looking into the flavors of ON Whey, heard good things about the Choc Mint. Spotted the 980g tub on Amazon for £23! Either choc mint or peanut & choc i'll try.

I do have fish, like today I am having tuna for my lunch (only fish I can eat) however its a struggle for me to eat meat every meal - have a lot of veggie substitutes!

Thanks for the feedback :)
  • postchi1
    postchi1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Not bad I guess,

Yeah is about finding what works for you,

My fav protein foods are cooked chicken, cottage cheese, high protein yoghurt i.e. skyr or fage and loads of beef jerky!

I will probably eat all of those in a day ha

Whey is great for when you are on the go or even mixing with porridge oats or making pancakes
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Look at MyProtien. It's a UK brand and highly rated through independent testing done by www.labdoor.com.

Also, get samples because taste is very personal. Also, don't be afraid to get protein from plant based sources too.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    If your uk based

My protein
    Bulk powders
    Protein works
    BBW

There's currently decent offers on
    My protein and protein works
  • Hanlonx
    Options
    postchi1 wrote: »
    Not bad I guess,

Yeah is about finding what works for you,

My fav protein foods are cooked chicken, cottage cheese, high protein yoghurt i.e. skyr or fage and loads of beef jerky!

I will probably eat all of those in a day ha

Whey is great for when you are on the go or even mixing with porridge oats or making pancakes

After reading a few sceptial reviews on Amazon I've just ordered direct from the site. 10% off though "NEW17" if any readers are interested.

I've planned my diary for the next few days, managing to hit my protein (albeit with a shake included) but at least I'm in the right direction! I like Fage for overnight oats for the mornings I have the gym. I've went with the Peanut Butter & choc, hoping my taste buds like it! Also having a stern word with myself to try & enjoy fish! :#

I've used just a bog standard protein powder in the past but hated the taste (tasted like melted walls ice cream) but the taste eventually drove me up the wall!

• Hanlonx
    Options
    I've went with the Optimum Nutrition - Gold Standard 100% Whey after reading a few reviews & blogs. I'll keep your recommendations in mind for the future. Thanks everyone! ;)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    so you are planning on taking in 40-50g of protein a day in supplements? I'm sorry that just sounds absurd - why are people afraid of real foods for protein
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I like the chocolate SunWarrior, but I can't do whey which is probably cheaper.

It's not always about being afraid of eating real foods, for me most meats trigger migraines. Some people just don't like the taste or texture of meat. I don't eat enough volume to get all the protein I need from real plant sources, thus a protein shake helps fill the gap.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    its more this is the second post today with a similar sentiment (someone else asking if they could do 200g a protein a day with whey being the first)
  • Hanlonx
    Options
    so you are planning on taking in 40-50g of protein a day in supplements? I'm sorry that just sounds absurd - why are people afraid of real foods for protein

No I am not afraid of real food for protein, however as mentioned I struggle to eat meat/fish/poultry. I do eat veg/beans/pulses rich in protein however since my macros have just been changed from 50g (what I was previously managing to hit) to 70/80g, yes I do need some additional help by using supplements. I do have a personal trainer who has advised this would be a good route to take to get an extra 20g of protein in.

Instead of "why are people afraid of real foods for protein" why couldn't you ask me? I don't partially enjoy any process of eating meat (one of those people who thinks about where it comes from) starting a sentence with so when someone asks a genuine question looking for friendly advice.

• Hanlonx
    Options
    I like the chocolate SunWarrior, but I can't do whey which is probably cheaper.

It's not always about being afraid of eating real foods, for me most meats trigger migraines. Some people just don't like the taste or texture of meat. I don't eat enough volume to get all the protein I need from real plant sources, thus a protein shake helps fill the gap.

I've heard a good few things about that one! I'll keep it in mind when repurchasing :)

I watched far too many PETA videos a few years ago, made the full veggie transition but now I incorporate small amounts of poultry/fish if it is not myself who has to prepare it. Only so many beans/pulses one can eat before they go bonkers to hit their macros :D
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    Hanlonx wrote: »

No I am not afraid of real food for protein, however as mentioned I struggle to eat meat/fish/poultry. I do eat veg/beans/pulses rich in protein however since my macros have just been changed from 50g (what I was previously managing to hit) to 70/80g, yes I do need some additional help by using supplements. I do have a personal trainer who has advised this would be a good route to take to get an extra 20g of protein in.

Instead of "why are people afraid of real foods for protein" why couldn't you ask me? I don't partially enjoy any process of eating meat (one of those people who thinks about where it comes from) starting a sentence with so when someone asks a genuine question looking for friendly advice.

because it wasn't a question aimed solely at you, but in general since more and more I'm seeing posts about people supplementing significantly (50-60% of their goal) to hit their protein number
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I like on whey for vanilla but hate their chocolate.
    I like gnc amp pure isolate in chocolate frosting for chocolate.
  • Hanlonx
    edited June 2017
    Options

because it wasn't a question aimed solely at you, but in general since more and more I'm seeing posts about people supplementing significantly (50-60% of their goal) to hit their protein number

Completely agree. I wish I was one of those people who could happily tuck into meat/fish/poultry for most meals(last night it took me over 45 mins to eat one small bit of fish laden in chilli flakes). I'd love to not have to take supplements (prefer natural consumption for most nutrition) however needs must!

Apologies for snapping, I've been getting lectures all week about my food choices!! :#

• deannalfisher
    Options
    what do you dislike about eating meat/fish? is it a taste thing? a texture thing?
  • Hanlonx
    Options
    Taste, texture & ethical reasons!
  • farrell16
    farrell16 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

Lol what precisely do you think protein shakes are made of. They are food... whey for example is just like the nursery rhyme.. little miss muffet sat on her tuffet eating her curds and whey! Whey is as much food as cheese is. whey is the material that is too low in fat to solidify when they make cheese. By all mean eat as much protein as u can in chicken and fish but for some its not feasible to eat that much protein on a busy day si by all means gi for it. I personally like whey isolate ad it is the lowest in fat and natrual sugars (lactose)
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I get the generic unflavored protein powder from the bulk bins at the grocery store. I'm kinda picky, so I like to add my own flavor. It's cheap too.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    farrell16 wrote: »

Lol what precisely do you think protein shakes are made of. They are food... whey for example is just like the nursery rhyme.. little miss muffet sat on her tuffet eating her curds and whey! Whey is as much food as cheese is. whey is the material that is too low in fat to solidify when they make cheese. By all mean eat as much protein as u can in chicken and fish but for some its not feasible to eat that much protein on a busy day si by all means gi for it. I personally like whey isolate ad it is the lowest in fat and natrual sugars (lactose)

Curds and whey is what we would call cottage cheese.