Something the local radio station posted

Options
Cherilea
Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
~~Time for some "CWOFEE TAWLK" ~~

It's a result of of a poll, although it didn't say where the poll originated from -

48% of guys said they would break up with their girlfriend if she gained weight. Only 20% of woman said they would do the same. Has this ever happened to you or someone you know?

I guess Im surprised that almost 1/2 the guys polled said they would break up with their so if she gained weight. Is it that much of a deal breaker? And where is the line? At what point (weight) does a guy just say "enough is enough...you are way to fluffy for me!" Do you think that percentage is way to high?

Ladies, are you surprised that only 20% of the woman polled said they would break up w/ their SO if they gained weight? Are woman more "forgiving" when her man's abs go from washboard to pony keg?

~~Discuss~~

Replies

• kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    If a guy broke up with me because I gained weight then good f*cking riddance.
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    That's really shallow. When DH and I got together almost 11 years ago I was 130, and by the time we had our last child, and I started weight loss I was 247. Not once during my "fat years" did he ever call me fat or consider leaving me for my weight (or any reason). Guess I got my hands on one of the decent few out there. Guess these men didn't get the FYI, that beauty eventually fades.
  • runner328
    runner328 Posts: 174
    Options
    I read the same poll on the internet. By the way my hubby just left me in March because he didn't "find me attractive anymore". I was 5"6 & 160 lbs.
  • gettin_fit_nikk
    Options
    i was just about to post this! i think its rediculous & shallow
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    New poll out that 30% of women lie in polls.
  • safiresp04
    safiresp04 Posts: 29
    Options
    I would rank in the 20% of women... I've come way too far in my weight loss and my lifestyle has changed so much for the better, that I can't imagine being with someone who doesn't share those same goals. I started this long before joining MFP and it's taken me 6 years to get here, but I will never go back. To be with someone who doesn't care about their appearance or what they put in their stomachs is a deal breaker for me - it's right up there with smoking. If a guy is overweight, but making strides to better himself and his lifestyle, that's one thing. Then we can be in it together. But otherwise - goodbye.
  • MrsZMartin
    MrsZMartin Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Just to play devil's advocate....my bf and I got together (nearly 8 years ago) with the understanding that both of us are health conscious people who feel physical attraction is a major part of a healthy relationship. We have agreed to support each other in food and exercise decisions. That being said, when I gained 20 lbs after a car accident, he only noticed that my boobs got bigger :) Now, I would be incredibly hurt and pissed if he left me for weight gain,however part of our relationship is that we both agree to stay relatively fit and healthy. We are still incredibly attracted to each other, and hope to stay that way.
  • MrsZMartin
    MrsZMartin Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I would rank in the 20% of women... I've come way too far in my weight loss and my lifestyle has changed so much for the better, that I can't imagine being with someone who doesn't share those same goals. I started this long before joining MFP and it's taken me 6 years to get here, but I will never go back. To be with someone who doesn't care about their appearance or what they put in their stomachs is a deal breaker for me - it's right up there with smoking. If a guy is overweight, but making strides to better himself and his lifestyle, that's one thing. Then we can be in it together. But otherwise - goodbye.

Well said. Very similar to smoking. I am all for a long process of communication and working together, but if there is no effort on his part to improve his health, then I'm with you and the rest of the 20%.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    It would be interesting for me to know what kind of relationships the people polled were in (if they were in one at all.) If they just polled whoever, theses statistics don't really surprise me at all, but if they were married or in a long term relationship the numbers are a little more surprising.
  • keb80
    keb80 Posts: 394
    Options
    I have a friend who this happened to. Her boyfriend left her for someone else b/c she gained weight... the real kicker is that she was 8 months pregnant with his baby. Total D-bag....
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who this happened to. Her boyfriend left her for someone else b/c she gained weight... the real kicker is that she was 8 months pregnant with his baby. Total D-bag....

WOW! She's better off!
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options

Well, weight gain from being pregnant is a little different then just letting yourself go......
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't care either way. He loves me for me! I was about 30 lbs heavier when we met and gained a little more after we were married. I've been struggling with it for the past cpl years now, but he is supportive. He just wants me to be happy with myself!
  • pumpkinmoccasin
    Options
    I feel like this might be better fleshed out with a second poll of "how serious are you about your relationship"... I just can't see someone being in a 3-4 year relationship breaking up with someone because of weight fluctuation. I guess maybe if it's serious (80+ lb) weight gain? I don't know! I just can't put myself in someone's head that is like that.

Me & my hubby married at each of our highest weights, having been together since each of our lowest weights... We gained that "happy weight" and it just went spiraling out of control, lol! But even though that I'm as attracted to him as when he was thin and vice versa
  • keb80
    keb80 Posts: 394
    Options
    I agree!! I guess he thought she'd gained way too much. She did gain a lot (way over the standard 25-35 that the docs recommend) but some people do during pregnancy. She eventually lost it all after the baby and looked better than ever... He wanted her back even.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    New poll shows that 90% of all polls are fictional and that the statistics can't actually be proven.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    If someone stops caring about themselves..

It's a flawed poll anyway.
  • Slimithy
    Slimithy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I didn't marry a scale; I married a woman. I'm pretty sure the vows I took cover this one; "For better or for worse; in sickness and in health... as long as you both shall live..." Yep... If an unhealthy lifestyle is an illness, which I think it is (I'm not claiming genetic causes, more a behavioral disorder), then you can't just say, "Oh well, I quit. That hottie over there deserves a peice of this because of all the work she's put into her body".

And no, it doesn't matter if he/she "agreed" to stay fit. We all agree to things before and after we get married that we then have to modify later in life. We grow and mature and change. The key to a happy and long marriage is you learn to grow and change together through encouragement, forgiveness, and acceptance. That includes acceptance of changes in body shape and size.
  • Jennjenn1974
    Jennjenn1974 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    (playing devil's advocate here)

I am going to assume we are talking about a serious weight gain here. Not just a few pounds here and there.

Weight gain can seriously affect a relationship. Especially if the party that gained the weight doesn't want to do anything about it. A person cannot help if they find thier partner unattractive if they have gained alot of weight.

We have most likely all been in the uncomfortable situation where our partner tells us "I don't find you attractive anymore" it's beyond humiliating.

I guess it all comes down to the type of relationship you have. Yeah any guy who dumps a woman is going to be labled as a douche. But, maybe, just maybe he is being honest. Not only with himself but with his partner as well. Isn't a relationship supposed to be all about communication,? Shouldn't a guy be able to sit down and be honest with his thoughts and feelings without feeling like he is in the wrong (even if he is :p)?

A woman who says "he loves me for me no matter what I look like" is naive. Guys are superficial creatures(please note I am generalizing I don't mean all guys).

What honest woman can say if her guy gained a large amount of weight that she would still find him attractive in the same way?

I have tried so hard to create a safe comfortable environment where my partner and I can talk to each other about anything. Does it always work? Nope. But it's there.