Not eating enough, lesson learned

Options

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    the fewer calories you eat, the more weight you will lose. Period.

No.

The larger your deficit, the more weight you will lose. That is not the same thing.

For many people, eating less leads them to move less and therefore burn fewer calories. For those people, eating enough to increase their activity level can actually increase their deficit and lead to increased weight loss (as long as the increase in calorie burn is greater than the increase in calorie intake).

You are correct that starvation mode does not exist; however, your follow-up statement was incorrect.

My statement could've been worded better but it seems like everyone has picked up on what I was suggesting - which is the same thing you are saying.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I hate to spoil the party OP but it is "just" maths. Biology = Chemistry = Physics = Maths
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    logiatype wrote: »
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    jardane1 wrote: »
    The same thing happened to me. I had my calories set high when I first started counting and the weight was dropping off. I was eating the same foods, and working out the same. When I dropped my calorie goal my weight slowed and then stopped all together. I was still eating the same healthy foods, exercising the same amount but the weight wouldn't come off. Once I bumped it back up to my initial calorie goal, the weight started coming off again!

something else at play here to cause that. the greater the calorie deficit you are under, the more you will lose. its just simple math. there are a lot of factors but math is math. caveat....you have to do the math correctly.

The human body is complex, it's not just math.

well what would it be then? the question is what makes your body lose weight? I pose that burning (by whatever means) more energy than you consume. example, your TDEE is 2500 cals, You consume 1500, your deficit is 1000. over time, your weight drops faster than if your TDEE is 2500 and you consume 2000 with a deficit of 500. See..math.

A lot of what's written on this forum assumes that 3500 == 1lb is a hard fact. Some quick google searches would tell you that this is not as settled, scientifically, as people want it to be. Yeah the numbers make things easier to implement but they aren't the sum total of how your body regulates your weight. If it's working for him, so be it. Show me your data/research before you shut him down.

i never said anything about 3500 cals is a pound. the crux of my statement solely revolves around the fact that when you burn more calories than you consume you lose weight. throw any number you want at it. that law doesn't change.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    the fewer calories you eat, the more weight you will lose. Period.

No.

The larger your deficit, the more weight you will lose. That is not the same thing.

For many people, eating less leads them to move less and therefore burn fewer calories. For those people, eating enough to increase their activity level can actually increase their deficit and lead to increased weight loss (as long as the increase in calorie burn is greater than the increase in calorie intake).

You are correct that starvation mode does not exist; however, your follow-up statement was incorrect.

My statement could've been worded better but it seems like everyone has picked up on what I was suggesting - which is the same thing you are saying.

The original poster said *nothing* about starvation mode. He said he increased his food intake and that helped him lose weight. Another poster agreed that they'd had the same experience. *You* are the one who brought "starvation mode" into the conversation and basically told him that his experience was invalid.

I get that "starvation mode" is a hot button around here, but the "eating more is never ever the answer under any circumstances" crowd is also wrong. Finding the right balance between intake and burn is what matters.

No need to be defensive. He may not have said the words "starvation mode" but it was very clear that he was suggesting the definition of "starvation mode" was indeed happening to him.
    the "eating more is never ever the answer under any circumstances" crowd is also wrong

If you'll read my post you will find that I am encouraging people to take a balanced approach and eat sustainably. Eat as many calories as you can while still losing weight!
  • logiatype
    logiatype Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me. I had my calories set high when I first started counting and the weight was dropping off. I was eating the same foods, and working out the same. When I dropped my calorie goal my weight slowed and then stopped all together. I was still eating the same healthy foods, exercising the same amount but the weight wouldn't come off. Once I bumped it back up to my initial calorie goal, the weight started coming off again!

something else at play here to cause that. the greater the calorie deficit you are under, the more you will lose. its just simple math. there are a lot of factors but math is math. caveat....you have to do the math correctly.

well what would it be then? the question is what makes your body lose weight? I pose that burning (by whatever means) more energy than you consume. example, your TDEE is 2500 cals, You consume 1500, your deficit is 1000. over time, your weight drops faster than if your TDEE is 2500 and you consume 2000 with a deficit of 500. See..math.

A lot of what's written on this forum assumes that 3500 == 1lb is a hard fact. Some quick google searches would tell you that this is not as settled, scientifically, as people want it to be. Yeah the numbers make things easier to implement but they aren't the sum total of how your body regulates your weight. If it's working for him, so be it. Show me your data/research before you shut him down.

i never said anything about 3500 cals is a pound. the crux of my statement solely revolves around the fact that when you burn more calories than you consume you lose weight. throw any number you want at it. that law doesn't change.

You need to do a lot more reading before you start talking about "laws". Truth is, like the rest of us, you're parroting what someone else has come up with; I doubt that any of us on this forum has any hard scientific data to prove your "law".

Maybe start by reading this. http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/energy-balance-myths/
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Well, i think I found out why I was not losing and even gaining at times, I was not eating enough. I was eating 1000 calories below the highest weight loss setting in my fitness pall. For weeks I was not losing weight and I had no idea why i lost a lot when I starting cutting lower but it stalled. So, I am trying to eat my full recommended intake and after eating so few calories it feels indulgent lol. It worked and am losing weight gain, I guess I was curing to low and my body felt like it was starving.

Lesson learned.

Wrong. You don't lose weight by eating MORE. Nope nope nope. Not happening. ;)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I so wish this were true for me, The eat more to lose more didn't work for me :sad: The bigger the deficit, the more I lose.

OP if you are able to eat more and still lose, just do it :smiley:
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Well...if you eat so little that you end up spending all your time lying on the couch then eating more so you can improve the co part of the equation could be helpful. It could also be that if you give yourself more calories to work with you become significantly more compliant and stop eating subconsciously.

Still cico and no starvation mode.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Things are not always so simple over time as many here would suggest. Adaptations over time are real. It is math but the math changes over time and upping calories or taking a break can have definite benefits. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/EvgeniZyntx?month=201308
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options

So . . I'm going to need more information about this. Links/info, please? I depend heavily on calorie math, so very curious.
  • HayItsRenee
    HayItsRenee Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in starvation mode but there was a period of time where I was tracking my calories religiously and eating 1200 calories or less and then eating 1500 and then suddenly losing tons of weight. Our bodies are all different and sometimes require more calories for function.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Don't look the gift horse in the mouth. And lucky you! :smile:
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Math can be complex too but that doesn't make it less true.