Stronglifts 5x5?

Options
cdahl383
cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
Has anyone on here done the Stronglifts 5x5 program? Thinking of picking up some additional weight equipment for my home gym and starting this program this summer.

Currently I just use dumbbells and an adjustable bench now (press, flys, front raise, lateral raise, preacher curl, tricep extension, row, ab crunches, etc). Would be nice to change things up a bit. It seems like a good program. Just wondering if anyone here has any experience doing it and whether they liked it or not, got injured, thought it sucked, or whatever.

Thank you!

Replies

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Do a quick search. This has got to be the top recommended program on this forum. It's a nice, simple beginner program. Go for it!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I use it in the gym, got the app for my I-Phone and like it just fine. The app keeps track of my progress, the weights for each exercise, the rest time between sets and does the plate math for me. (not necessary but helpful). I found that the program quickly out ran my progress and I had to scale back (deload) several times. I can say, that I am now lifting heavier than I was when I started and haven't "bulked up" just got stronger.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Not my cup 'o tea, but a lot of people work that program. I did Starting Strength years ago starting out back in the gym...it's basically the same thing but a 3x5 format which I found to work a little better when I was dieting...it was a good re-introduction and gave me a solid strength base to work with, but I thought it was boring as all hell...
  • cdahl383
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! It sounds like Stronglifts or Starting Strength would both be good options.

I never really followed a real actual program before. I just sort of made up my own program of dumbbell exercises and try to increase the reps higher and higher each time until I get up around 12-15 and then move up on the weight and start from 6-8 reps and move up and so on.

The downside is I would need to get a power rack/cage, barbell, and some olympic weights to do this safely at home. I think getting a power rack would be great even if I didn't follow some program as I do zero barbell exercises currently. My basement is about 82" tall with the drop ceiling so I'd have to go with a low ceiling type rack/cage which I have seen a few good options out there.

I've been searching around on Craigslist for equipment, but haven't had much luck with the racks/cages, most are the full size 82-85" racks. But there are plenty of bars and olympic weights on there along with benches and flooring. Might have to spring for a new rack but get the other stuff used, etc.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    cdahl383 wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! It sounds like Stronglifts or Starting Strength would both be good options.

I never really followed a real actual program before. I just sort of made up my own program of dumbbell exercises and try to increase the reps higher and higher each time until I get up around 12-15 and then move up on the weight and start from 6-8 reps and move up and so on.

The downside is I would need to get a power rack/cage, barbell, and some olympic weights to do this safely at home. I think getting a power rack would be great even if I didn't follow some program as I do zero barbell exercises currently. My basement is about 82" tall with the drop ceiling so I'd have to go with a low ceiling type rack/cage which I have seen a few good options out there.

I've been searching around on Craigslist for equipment, but haven't had much luck with the racks/cages, most are the full size 82-85" racks. But there are plenty of bars and olympic weights on there along with benches and flooring. Might have to spring for a new rack but get the other stuff used, etc.

You don't necessarily need a full rack/cage. And if it's just you, you don't really even need the variable height.

There's some interesting options for DIY.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Another experienced lifter vote for reading Starting Strength and running that program over SL.

Stonglifts is a blatant rip-off of Starting Strength and doesn't have any of the info that is the backbone of lifting sucessfully.

There is a old saying..."The cheap comes out expensive."

Doesn't mean one can't get stronger with SL, only it will govern the strength gains that novices can achieve.
  • cdahl383
    Options
    Ok so Starting Strength is the way to go over Stronglifts then? Doesn't that program utilize a 3x5 program? I'll have to look into that one a little more.
  • Chieflrg
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Buy the book. It's worth every dollar.

Yes, that particular program is for novices.

If done correctly following the as written in book, most males should be able to squat four plates for five reps in less than a year.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You don't necessarily need a full rack/cage. And if it's just you, you don't really even need the variable height.

Although it is preferable if you have the space, you do not absolutely need a rack. However, at a minimum, you will need a pair of safety squat stands that you can use for squats and the bench press. You will, of course, also need a bench to do bench presses on.

As for weights and bars, I'd suggest two 45# bars -- 1 Power lifting bar for DLs and 1 Olympic bar for everything else -- plus at least 2x your weight in plates -- 2.5x would be better to allow more flexibility -- including fractional plates that you'll probably need for OHPs.

Why that much weight in plates? If you are doing either SS or SL, your goal should be able to DL at least 2x your body weight w/in 4-6 months of starting either program. This is not an unreasonable or unrealistic objective; it's actually quite conservative.

I'm 5'8", weigh 160 and my 1RM PR for DL is 360; 2.25x my BW. I probably could do more but I haven't been pushing the weights up recently because I'm older (66) and am trying to avoid injury. Just interested in maintaining my prior strength gains currently.

If you are not using rubberized plates, you will also need at least 1 (and preferably 2) 4x6 rubber mats. I prefer to have a separate station set up for DLs and another set up for everything else.

Even though I've got rubberized plates, I've still got a rubber mat in an area devoted just to DLs and another under my rack for everything else.

I have a lot of equipment and found almost all of it at huge discounts on Craigslist. You just have to keep looking every day and when what you needs pops up, jump on it.

Good luck!

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    That or Starting Strength. Fine programs to begin with. I made the mistake of giving 5x5 a shot when I was a little beyond a beginner, and dieting to get very lean. A linear progression at 5x5 is not going to last long in those circumstances. Not that anyone cares about that story.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I started with stronglifts. I watched a mark rippetoe DVD for form though. I practiced with out weight for a while and form came first.
  • cdahl383
    Options
    I have a separate area for dumbbells and a treadmill already. I have 15-65lb hex dumbbells and currently looking for some 70lbs to up my dumbbell presses. But I think beyond that I need to get into some barbell lifting now. I have plenty of space in the basement to set up a nice power rack, another bench, some flooring, etc. I'm thinking of getting the rack new since 72" ones are hard to find on Craigslist, and then buying everything else used.

I too bought all my equipment off of Craigslist or Play It Again Sports. Most of the dumbbells I got for $0.50/lb, the bench I got for $70 and it's a nice adjustable sturdy one, and I got the dumbbell racks from Play It Again Sports for nearly half off new price. I figure that way if I ever decide to get rid of it all I won't lose too much money.

I like the power rack concept because it has pins for safety and I can work out alone with no worries.

I"ll keep checking around on Craigslist for olympic weight plates and bars and benches and see if I can set aside enough dough to get a new rack. Atlas has a nice 72" one that holds 700lbs and got good reviews, should be good enough for a beginner dude. I've lifted weights for about 14 years now but never got into the serious stuff, just machines at the gym, dumbbells, etc. I'd like to expand and get into barbell stuff and see where that takes me.

Thanks for all the advice!
  • Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I did stronglifts a few years back, and although it is a good beginner program with all the great compound exercises you want, it's gotta be the most boring routine ever....sorry, that just my two cents. I can't do the same two workouts over and over and over. I quit within a month and it took a couple more years to get into anything seriously
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I prefer Starting Strength and Practical Programming over SL.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    So, googled starting strength. From there I followed a link on his page recommending "The Barbell Prescription" for those over 40. I'm 52, looking to start a lifting program (after holidays). Anyone recommend this book?
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    My basement is about 82" tall with the drop ceiling so I'd have to go with a low ceiling type rack/cage which I have seen a few good options out there.

Both 5x5 and Starting Strength mandate overhead presses. I don't think you'd get a press in with 82" head room and so you would need to modify to seated press (which IMHO is inferior with respect to the goals of 5x5 and SS).

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    My basement is about 82" tall with the drop ceiling so I'd have to go with a low ceiling type rack/cage which I have seen a few good options out there.

Both 5x5 and Starting Strength mandate overhead presses. I don't think you'd get a press in with 82" head room and so you would need to modify to seated press (which IMHO is inferior with respect to the goals of 5x5 and SS).

Agree 100%

Although if it were me, I'd carry all the stuff upstairs for that one lift and do it there. I actually have the same problem (huge basement-low drop ceiling) so my guest room is my gym. It's too small so I let it leak into the living room, the BF loves that! But yea, don't switch to seated press.
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    So, googled starting strength. From there I followed a link on his page recommending "The Barbell Prescription" for those over 40. I'm 52, looking to start a lifting program (after holidays). Anyone recommend this book?

That book just like SS & PP you need to read it front to back and again & again. So much info and unlike starting strength it isn't a cookie cutter program, which is perfect for older lifters to make smart adjustments according to the individual limitations, goals & recovery.

If you are a rank novice I still suggest you run SS as its the gold standard base for those who have so much to gain. As a novice, one can grow stro ger than any other point in lifting and why throw away that opportunity.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

That book just like SS & PP you need to read it front to back and again & again. So much info and unlike starting strength it isn't a cookie cutter program, which is perfect for older lifters to make smart adjustments according to the individual limitations, goals & recovery.

If you are a rank novice I still suggest you run SS as its the gold standard base for those who have so much to gain. As a novice, one can grow stro ger than any other point in lifting and why throw away that opportunity.

Thanks. I've downloaded SS and will read over the next couple of weeks.