To meet 200 grams protein per day can a man eat only whey protien?

Options
Say I scoop in breakfast , then lunch and then before and after workout then before bed.
Is this harmful ?

Replies

• clbaft
    clbaft Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Do you mean literally only whey as in 200g (6-8 scoops) of whey a day? If so I can't imagine that's too good for you.

Other protein sources contain nutrients that whey might/does not, such as iron, zinc, magnesium, vitamin a, b12, etc (+ many other minerals and vitamins), that's why it's suggested to get your macros from whole foods. I don't know if something bad will happen to you if you eat that much whey - but I can't really understand why you'd want to?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    MassarDv wrote: »
    Say I scoop in breakfast , then lunch and then before and after workout then before bed.
    Is this harmful ?

How would you then get your fats and micros to fit?

There is nothing wrong with supplementing with whey but that is excluding all other sources.

Why wouldn't you want a steak or prawns etc?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    In theory, yes. In practise it's a terrible idea

Pretty much... but also, do you need 200g of protein?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    and why only whey protein?
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Yeah, don't do this.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I have a 200g daily protein "goal" which I have difficulty meeting w/o supplementing w/protein powder, drinks and/or bars.

I do not rely solely on these supplements but they can make up as much as 50% or 100g toward my goal. I get the rest of my protein from normal food sources - meat, poultry, eggs, seafood, etc.

I have had no notable dietary or digestive problems doing this for over a year during which time I have lost almost 40# and reduced my BF to just 10%.
  • GoldenEye_
    GoldenEye_ Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    What is your daily calorie goal? I feel like there's a much better solution to getting to the amount of protein you want, even though the amount seems a bit excessive..
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    but why?
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    but why?

Yeah, why is there such a prejudice against so-called "HIGH PROTEIN" diets on MFP?

Fact is, a high protein diet can be effective if your objective is to lose weight and increase or maintain strength and LBM.

200G of protein for an averaged size man like me at 160#, which is equal to 1.25g/#BW on a 2000 cal/day diet, is not excessive by any means and the heavier & bigger you are, the lower that ratio becomes.

Protein is digested just like carbs and fat but only it can be used to increase or maintain muscle development. Protein also requires more energy to digest than carbs and fat and tends to reduce hunger and appetite, which contributes to weight loss.

I don't think it's a dig on high protein diets, it's a dig on only ingesting protein via a supplement.
  • sgt1372
    Options
    ocrXfitter wrote: »
    I don't think it's a dig on high protein diets, it's a dig on only ingesting protein via a supplement.

You apparently haven't seen and read all of the "you don't need THAT much protein" comments on MFP that I've seen and read.

Such comments are not just limited to protein via supplements; they are opposed to the idea of what the commenters consider "excessive protein" (however they define it) from whatever source -- natural or otherwise.

• MassarDv
    MassarDv Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    In theory, yes. In practise it's a terrible idea

Because the whey protien is the purest form and has the highest biological absorption capacity .

Steak , chicken breast and egg are always 20 to 30 percent behind .

Also I believe the whey gets into blood much easily than the meats .
    I m not a Doctor but I also believe that a lot of what we eat in meat goes to waste and also contributes to fat .
    Yeah we build muscle eating meat but eating pure form only builds lean muscle .
    May be you guys might differ but this is what I think right now !
  • MassarDv
    MassarDv Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    GoldenEye_ wrote: »
    What is your daily calorie goal? I feel like there's a much better solution to getting to the amount of protein you want, even though the amount seems a bit excessive..

Calorie goal -2000 as I work out every day and my goal is to get rid of body fat from 14 percent to 12 percent .
    Body weight :150 pounds height :5 11

I m trying to figure out a very effective eating plan which ensures I cut body fat very fast .
    I m seeing top abs appearing slightly but at 14 percent the lower are still hidden .

A slight increase in carbs by mistake destroys all my hard work .I have noticed even a orange juice or wheat bread slice destroys all my hard work .

• newdawn1974
    newdawn1974 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think it would first hurt your wallet :-) Out of curiosity, would you plan be to go that route to meet a short-term objective or would this be a long term plan? One thing I could think of is developing some kind of digestive intolerance to it but this is not backed-up by anything. Other thing is getting bored of the taste of it. Good luck in your journey.
  • Carl_Carlson
    Carl_Carlson Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Last year (2016) I reviewed some research that concluded muscle protein synthesis was maximised on only 40g of protein daily, provided 4 grams of leucine were included in the diet. While the other 160g would be harmless it is also expensive. I suspect the figure of 200g is usually recommended because that dosage would contain about 4 g of leucine (MOL). I'll try to dig out the paper and list the reference for it here.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Last year (2016) I reviewed some research that concluded muscle protein synthesis was maximised on only 40g of protein daily, provided 4 grams of leucine were included in the diet. While the other 160g would be harmless it is also expensive. I suspect the figure of 200g is usually recommended because that dosage would contain about 4 g of leucine (MOL). I'll try to dig out the paper and list the reference for it here.

This research review from JISSN addresses both protein and leucine requirements: https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-9-54
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I think OP is asking if the only way to hit 200g daily is through supplementation. Which simply is "no". I don't need 200g for my height and weight but I can easily hit 170g through dairy and meat products eating at a calorie deficit. One meal alone I have 85g of protein through 12 oz of chicken. Another 50g+ with greek yogurt and egg whites. And that's maybe only half my calories for the day. Easy enough to see you could go light on protein the rest of the day and still make your goals.
  • sgt1372
    Options
    MassarDv wrote: »
    I m not a Doctor but I also believe that a lot of what we eat in meat goes to waste and also contributes to fat

I beg to differ.

I'm not a doctor either but one thing that I've learned and have been taught about the human body is that nothing of nutritional or metabolic value in what you eat ever goes to waste.

Everything you eat, except for excess water that passes thru the kidneys and is expelled thru the urinary tract and those things that are undigestable in the GI tract and expelled thru the rectum, is used in some way.

Excess protein not used for muscle maintenance and/or growth (or for other protein related functions) is converted to sugar which is used by the body for energy and other metabolic and nutritional needs and will NOT be converted to fat (together w/excess carbs and fat) unless you are eating at a caloric surplus.

The fact that the body stores excess cals as fat is proof that nothing of value eaten, including excess protein in meat, ever goes to waste.