Tall ladies with similar stats; what is your calorie range?

I'm curious what calorie range other tall girls are eating in... the suggested intake rates are all over the place it seems. MFP's calorie limit seems super high, so I self adjust to 1800.

My stats:

6ft
215# currently
Larger frame build
Workout 30 minutes approx 5-6 days a week, cardio and light weights.

I have lost a few pounds and some inches, but would like to see more progress.

If you are similar stats and are losing I would love to know what you've set your calorie limit at and also what your workouts are like.

Replies

• pbbananacoffeechocolate
    pbbananacoffeechocolate Posts: 44 Member
    edited June 2017
    I'm 5'10" and currently weigh 166 lbs. Eating about 1900 calories per day as my base, plus often half to all of my workout calories. I've been eating this amount for 6 weeks and am down about 10 pounds.

Most of my workouts are pole dancing, and I also go swimming with my kids a few times per week.
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    I'm 5'11" and about 182 lbs. but since I'm tied to a desk during the day I set my activity level to sedentary. Before exercise MFP gives me 1490 calories (to lose 1 lb. per week) but I've been trying to get better at getting some type of exercise everyday so that I can eat around 1600 calories. My workouts lately have been can-can dancing practice and various outdoor water classes (Zumba, bootcamp, water walking, etc).
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    I have a feeling that the MFP goal isn't too high for you OP.

Try putting your stats into Scoobys TDEE calculator to get an idea of what it would take for you to maintain your weight with your current exercise regimen (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/). It might give you insight into why Mfp set your calories the way they did.
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    I'm 5'11 something so almost your height and weigh more and my calories are 1890 a day to lose a pound a day. My profile is set to sedentary.
  • sophie7591
    sophie7591 Posts: 78 Member
    I'm 5'10. Weigh 246 now. Currently I have 1600 calories on mfp.But I eat about 1400. Losing about 1 1/2 to 2 lbs per week.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    I'm 5'8.5" and 157lbs. I can eat and lose at 1800.
  • StacywithaY
    StacywithaY Posts: 117 Member
    Thank you all for the feedback! I super appreciate it.

I do think I misunderstood the activity level setting for sure. I thought it was specifically regarding exercise. I don't have a ton of activity in my regular day so perhaps should change from lightly active to the lower setting.

Thanks all :blush:
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Thank you all for the feedback! I super appreciate it.

I do think I misunderstood the activity level setting for sure. I thought it was specifically regarding exercise. I don't have a ton of activity in my regular day so perhaps should change from lightly active to the lower setting.

Thanks all :blush:

The activity level doesn't include any exercise that you will log separately. So, if you're not on your feet much outside of workouts, sedentary would be a better choice. But then please actually eat the recommended calories and don't "self-adjust". You're much taller than the average woman, so the numbers that women's magazines tend to spout will not be appropriate for you.
  • pookiefatcat
    pookiefatcat Posts: 15 Member
    I am 5'11" too, about 205lbs now and am steadily losing on 1850 cals/day. I have MFP set to Sedentary since I mostly have a desk job. Down 40lbs (wowzers!) since Jan 01 of this year.

I swim once a week, go for a power walk with a friend once a week, do a jog or workout video once a week and any extra exercise I get chasing the kid around. I walk to work too but that is about 15 minutes each way.

I still look at my body and don't see much change. But then again I just bought a large shirt at Old Navy instead of XL or XXL and people other than me can see it. Aiming for 180lbs at the moment then I will reassess.
  • kverenat
    kverenat Posts: 31 Member
    I'm 5'9 and 235. I had my BMR tested and it was 2088 so yours seems right in line.
  • StacywithaY
    I changed my settings to sedentary, I'm prob between sedentary and lightly active I wld think, and it brought the calories to 1730. I adjusted up to 1750 (from the 1800 I was using.) Will see how that goes. I log my workouts low, so I'm not tempted to eat back all the calories. I maybe eat back like half.

I'm motivated to see that other tall gals are losing in this same range. And also just to hear from other gals that can understand being 200#s and just wanting to lose a few pounds. Lol. I know it seems crazy to shorter ppl.
  • dotwilldoit
    dotwilldoit Posts: 53 Member
    I am a bit lower sad to say. My metabolism sucketh. Running 20 miles a week and I have to be below 1700 to not gain much less lose.. sigh. I am 5'10" and 168 in maintenance
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    5'11 and 191 (down from 199 in mid April. Yay!), I'm on 1850 cals per day, exercise 5 days per week, eat back most, if not all, of my exercise calories and have been losing 1lb per week steadily.
  • gnu4liberty
    gnu4liberty Posts: 48 Member
    I am 5'9", weigh 131. I am 65 and in a wheelchair. I am maintaining at 131 for several months.
  • gnu4liberty
    gnu4liberty Posts: 48 Member
    P.S. Eating 1200 cal/day.
  • StacywithaY
    I am a bit lower sad to say. My metabolism sucketh. Running 20 miles a week and I have to be below 1700 to not gain much less lose.. sigh. I am 5'10" and 168 in maintenance

I may be right there with you once I figure this all out!

Thnx for the feedback.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    I'm 5'10" and started at 212 lbs two years ago. Down to 155 now and maintaining there. I think my calorie goal started around 1500 if I remember correctly with a goal of 2 lbs/week. I think that was pretty aggressive and it was a challenge. I did that for a while then reduced it to 1 lb/week goal and later 1/2 lb/week. My calories goal was in the 1600s for a lot of that.

I've always kept my activity level at sedentary and then let my Fitbit (then) or Garmin (now) sync calories for exercise, and I always eat them all back. Now my maintenance calorie goal is 1760 net, but with exercise I typically eat a total of about 2000/day. My exercise consists of running 6 days/week and typically 1 hour or more of walking the dog every day. I started at pretty much just walking and some lap swimming and have worked up to that. Doing more exercise so I can eat more and don't feel deprived has been pretty key for me.

I will say it was slow, and took me a long time to feel like I was making progress. But I was! I think when you are tall it can take a while to be obvious when you are losing gradually. I will also say that I thought that as a "big girl" I wouldn't be able to go under 180 or so, but when I got there I realized I wasn't maybe as "big-boned" as I always thought. :) Good luck to you! Sounds like you are on your way!

• Keldug
    Keldug Posts: 23 Member
    5'8 currently 260,not working out yet but lightly active as I stand all day (Hair Stylist) I started last week here logging in at 1450 a day but I dropped it to 1350 this week. Still playing with macros..
  • nlwrfa
    nlwrfa Posts: 118 Member
    i'm 6'1 , 316 lbs now and alotted 1950 a day with sedentary