Gaining weight post workout?

I've gotten closer to my goal as of late but my body wasn't what I wanted for my weight(136). So in order to replace the fat with muscle I started working out for like 30 min every day. Basic muscle exercises such as squats and leg drops. But instead of losing weight I seem to be gaining it and my stomach looks chubbier then I remember. I was wondering if I was doing something wrong or if anyone had any advice?

Replies

• ashleyminnich1
    ashleyminnich1 Posts: 60 Member
    Are you feeling sore? I will have a slight increase and retain some fluid after a tough workout. It goes back after a day of recovery.
  • RubyRuby477
    RubyRuby477 Posts: 4 Member
    Muscle weighing heavier than fat may mean you gain a little weight wise which will balance out. Maybe track your shape change with clothes or measurements while your body is adjusting to a firmer outline?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Muscle weighing heavier than fat may mean you gain a little weight wise which will balance out. Maybe track your shape change with clothes or measurements while your body is adjusting to a firmer outline?

no. women do not put on muscle that easily and certainly not at a rate that would outpace fat loss.

OP, how are you measuring your food intake?

This.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    And, are you eating exercise calories back? If so, how many calories have you estimated your workout is burning?
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Sounds like water weight.. and you need to take at least 1 rest day a week. Just my .02.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    First of all I have to applaud your decision to build muscle. What progressive lifting can do for aesthetics and performance is fantastic and gets people away from focusing only on weight.

Bodies tend to retain water under stress - hormonal shifts, weight loss, weight gain, exercise, etc. Give it 5-7 days and ensure you are hydrating, just don't overdo it.

Are you following a set program? If not I highly recommend you follow one that works for you - Stronglifts 5x5 is a great beginner program and very simple to follow.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Probably water, yes. I typically go to the gym at least 3lbs lighter (after a huge breakfast) than after I come home and haven't eaten in many hours. Especially with strength training, you can expect to hang onto several pounds after every workout. My weight doesn't truly drop back down until the weekend when I take 2 rest days.