Running .... NOT A FAN

Options

Replies

• ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I agree with do what you like (& will stick with). Running & breathing don't work well for me. I made it through the C25K program and then last year decided that for some of my cardio I will interval/race walk mixed up with slower walking. I'm in my 50's so trying to save joints/knees and its working well. Good luck!
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I liked running when it was over!! I don't r un now. I really enjoy weight lifting so that's what I do, lift stuff a lot. Do what you enjoy. This isn't to torture yourself, it's to make you healthier.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Nope.

I've enjoyed it more in the past. Ran a half marathon.

Now I lift weights and walk.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I really am not a fan of running, I have tried countless times and I guess i just feel very awkward doing it, so most of the time i just do a speed walk... but my question is do you have to run? I feel like to push your body more and more i will need to bring myself to running but I really just don't like it but if its what i have to do to meet my weight loss goal and keep my body stretching for more then i will.

Any opinions out there?

If you don't like running, don't run. No real benefit over other forms of cardio except you can get your miles done in a much shorter time. There are plenty of other ways to get your cardio in: walk, swim, bike, etc.

Not entirely true. Especially for women, the pounding of running is good to increase bone density and lower the chance or oestoporosis.

Weight bearing exercise is what preserves bone density, not pounding. Any exercise where you move your body against gravity will benefit the bones (without the wear and tear on the joints).
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Never been a runner. Love to cycle, hike, walk, and swim (when I can).
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Fflpnari wrote: »
    I liked running when it was over!!

LOL. That's pretty much why I keep running. I like how I feel at the end of races and long training runs, so I keep doing it.

Last night, it started pouring at mile 8 -- out of a 10-mile run -- and I was drenched by the time I got to my car. I felt like a rockstar.

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: I love running. I put a lot of time and thought into doing things to prevent injury, because not running just plain sucks. I love training for marathons, though I'm not so sure I enjoy the actual marathon event. Let me run 2 or 3 more of them before I decide that. I don't run to lose weight, as I've been maintaining a stable weight for 5 years now. I don't run so I can eat more; I eat more so I can run.

With the disclaimer in mind, my opinion is that running is not for everyone. Life is too short to endure a form of cardio exercise that you don't like. Find something you enjoy and do that instead. Some people love dancing, or instructor-led exercise classes, or exercise videos. Those are all things that I am "not a fan of," but they obviously work for a lot of people. Cycling works for a lot of people, and might work for me; except I'd rather be running. Walking works for a lot of people, and used to work pretty well for me; except now that I'm a runner, I don't have much patience with walking more than 3 miles or so at a time.

So you hate running? Don't run. Find something else that you enjoy, or at least can tolerate.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Okay, but what are you going to do when the Zombies come?

:)

I have an app for that. It does involve running though.
  • jpierce121
    jpierce121 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I hate long distance running but i really enjoy shorter interval runs or hiit.... no more than 3 miles, typically 2 and I constantly change the intervals. Sometimes I go as hard as I can for 30 seconds and back off to walking for 2 minutes, sometimes I challenge myself to go hard for an entire song. Somedays I go slow the whole time. I just pay attention to my body and do what feels good that day. I listen to my favorite pop songs and it has become a routine I really enjoy and even look forward to. One tip though, the first mile or so is the hardest! I often think I will need to quit before my goal but I Kimmy Schmidt it through the warm up and the second half of my workout is always the best. I always feel great and strong at the end. I understand hating running at a steady pace... Intervals seem to go by much faster and are a good way to change it up and challenge yourself. :)
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Have you tried trail running? It's exhilarating and relaxing at the same time. (YMMV) The only downside is all the spiderwebs to the face.
    So.many.spiderwebs.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I like running, so I personally think that like most things, it gets more enjoyable as you practice more. It's tough, and it's especially tough when you're just getting started. And feeling awkward at first is really common. If it helps, keep in mind that most people aren't looking at you. I don't mean to be flippant; just that when I'm running, I'm only concerned with what other runners are doing long enough to give them a quick smile or nod as we pass each other.

But ultimately, if you don't like it, don't do it. There are lots of forms of exercise. Find something you enjoy.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    Options
    I Run.

8FhZfTH.gif
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I really am not a fan of running, I have tried countless times and I guess i just feel very awkward doing it, so most of the time i just do a speed walk... but my question is do you have to run? I feel like to push your body more and more i will need to bring myself to running but I really just don't like it but if its what i have to do to meet my weight loss goal and keep my body stretching for more then i will.

Any opinions out there?

If you don't like running, don't run. No real benefit over other forms of cardio except you can get your miles done in a much shorter time. There are plenty of other ways to get your cardio in: walk, swim, bike, etc.

Not entirely true. Especially for women, the pounding of running is good to increase bone density and lower the chance or oestoporosis.

Yes, but its also horrible for joints and causes dangerous scarring of the heart tissue in people who do endurance/marathon running.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

Any opinions out there?

Yes, but its also horrible for joints and causes dangerous scarring of the heart tissue in people who do endurance/marathon running.

Source for this mis-information please. Show me the PERMANENT damage it does.

Considering this is a popular and long-running argument in the Medical Community, I'd think you'd not have reacted with shock and immediate dismissal.

http://m.amednews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?aid=/20120618/health/306189949&template=mobile_art
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    just had a conversation about this with my trainer. who was a track athlete in college, still runs three or four times a week in his 40's, and coaches running. and he loves it.

his take: there's absolutely no reason for anybody to run if they don't enjoy it. there are just too many alternatives.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Hell if we have to run, I'm screwed. It's NOT gonna happen! Planar fasciitis, asthma, and absolute hatred mean than if I get chased by a bear, I better be nice and scary 'cause I'm totally gonna die otherwise.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    grmrsan wrote: »
    Hell if we have to run, I'm screwed. It's NOT gonna happen! Planar fasciitis, asthma, and absolute hatred mean than if I get chased by a bear, I better be nice and scary 'cause I'm totally gonna die otherwise.

Hmm... I've been considering finding people to go camping with in bear country. :grin:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

Any opinions out there?

Source for this mis-information please. Show me the PERMANENT damage it does.

Considering this is a popular and long-running argument in the Medical Community, I'd think you'd not have reacted with shock and immediate dismissal.

http://m.amednews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?aid=/20120618/health/306189949&template=mobile_art

Hardly an argument. Both assertions have been discredited.