That moment when the instructor asks you "Are you ok?"

Options

Replies

• amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    My face goes BEET red anytime I work out (even if its very tame). I get that question all the time hahaha
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    So many!!!! I was once quite poorly after interval sprints. Once turned up at the gym on a winter morning not having realised how cold it was and by the time I got there I was in a state - I have Raynaud's and couldn't even get my card out if my pocket! Member of staff took me to the sauna for a few minutes to warm up. Also used to do spin early on a Sunday morning and the room was always freezing, I used to be in a ski jacket and gloves for the first 20 mins!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    jpierce121 wrote: »
    Does this happen to anyone else? I would love to hear your awkward fitness encounters!

i've made four separate attempts to learn t'ai chi, over about 30 years. i have just given up now. belly dance, same. apparently i zig every time when i'm meant to zag. and i never know that i'm doing it, which is the most painful part.

i missed the upright on one side once while benching in one of my trainer's portable 'stand' setups. it wasn't like he hadn't warned me that it was a bit low and i should make sure not to overshoot when i re-racked. . wasn't like i didn't say 'yeah yeah yeah' and not listen at all. wasn't like he ever let me bench outside of the full cage, for the rest of the year. can't blame him. i was actually pretty calm lying there with one half of 75 pounds at full stretch behind my own head, while it lasted. but i probably put years on the rest of the lives that were there to see it.

- my intro to weight training was with a parks-board woman who never got past the rheumatoid-arthritis disclosure on my signup. i still encounter her occasionally [not if i see her first] when i'm in a weight room, and she still does her absolute damnedest to establish that i shouldn't be in the weight room and it's an absolute aberration of nature that i haven't 'hurt myself' yet**. i'd say i hate her to this day, but it's more like some hyper-concentrated form of contempt.

** i have, but i'd rather lick a dog's balls than admit it to her.

May I ask why and after how long?

As a dancer- most people give up long before they should- and the embarrassment of "not getting it" and feeling like they never will being the two biggest reasons why. Which is so frustrating and heart breaking- because with a good instructor- you can and will be able to learn past your own two left feet. :(

Also LOL to your "dogs balls comment"

good for you- keep up the good work lifting. I think if you want to do something- there is a way to make it happen- no matter how "slow" the progress.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

my first t'ai chi class was the winter of 1986/87. my last was three years ago pmuch to the day. 30 years? it just wasn't something that's been worth pursuing for me, past the first set of reasonable-diligence tries. it's not embarrassment that makes me drop it. it's usually frustration over the communication gap between me and most people to whom body stuff just makes sense. i certainly don't internalize the difference. i just end up fecking pissed about how i can't communicate with people who don't understand the questions themselves that i'm trying to ask.
    Which is so frustrating and heart breaking- because with a good instructor- you can and will be able to learn past your own two left feet. :(

i guess . . . i mean, in fairness to the instructors i had, i think i'm a genuinely atypical subject. i'm not kinaesthetically stupid, but my mind just takes its own pathways to 'getting' things. i can't use 97% of the information most 'teachers' give me. and i typically need a ton of information most of them consider irrelevant. so i hear the words, i grok the theoretical point or whatever, but it doesn't parse. and in fairness to me, not everybody who is teaching something because they're good at it themselves should be teaching that thing. the mindset gap is for real. i just haven't found it to be worth it to pursue the bridging when it comes to those kinds of things.
    I think if you want to do something- there is a way to make it happen- no matter how "slow" the progress.

yeah, pretty much. which is why for me it's not the end of the world if i never do do tai chi or get the dance figured out. i don't care enough about either of them for it to really be that big a deal. with lifting i did care, so i fired or eliminated people until i found someone who was smart enough to know how to back off.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    mhwitt74 wrote: »
    I was on the treadmill one day and stepped off for a sec to adjust the fan the gym provides. I left it running and when I went to get back on I stepped on the moving belt. Needless to say I ended up on the floor. So I casually looked around and everyone had a good laugh, including me. I just shrugged it off and kept going but in my head I was completely embarrassed.

OMG this happened to a friend, not as lucky. We were having a circuit training class and one of the spots was the treadmill, the instructor told everyone, make sure you lower it down to 2 before you move on to another station, well some woman was running on at it full speed, never lowered it and my friend hopped on and didn't pay attention to the speed, and was short, so was hanging on to the bar and it ended up throwing her right into the wall behind it, and she broke her ankle. It was kind of slow motion by the time any of us realized what was going on to help her it was too late.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    That's great that the instructor is keeping an eye on you. Why don't you chat with her for a few minutes before or after class to get done feedback and share your concerns?
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    Hoshiko wrote: »
    In a kickboxing class, tired, hungover, not paying attention. We were doing uppercuts to warm up and I managed to punch myself in the face.

oh . . . that thing with the overhead press where you overdo the 'close to face' thing and clip yourself upside the nose.

i've done a whole lot of that. the chin-clipping i don't mind so much, but the nose thing is . . . not glamourous.

• WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    In a kickboxing class, tired, hungover, not paying attention. We were doing uppercuts to warm up and I managed to punch myself in the face.

oh . . . that thing with the overhead press where you overdo the 'close to face' thing and clip yourself upside the nose.

i've done a whole lot of that. the chin-clipping i don't mind so much, but the nose thing is . . . not glamourous.

Are you talking about bench pressing/ tricep work? Because "skullcrushers" are literally almost that for me daily. I have a wobbly rotator cuff not fully healed and if I space out a little...
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    Are you talking about bench pressing/ tricep work? Because "skullcrushers" are literally almost that for me daily.

lol no. sympathy for the wobbly cuff - i've got one of those too.

mine was the overhead press. if you've never done it, you're supposed to keep the bar as close to your face as you can as it goes up, and lean back as little as possible - but still enough to move your face out of the way.

i have 'good' form for the press, but obviously sometimes i get a little too cocky about it being a lift that just makes sense to my nervous system. it's what happens when nature has given you no ability to do a clean back-squat at all.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Okay, I do those. Just not well enough to skim a nose (yet). But the triceps/skull crushers are a different story for me. My back sucks, too. My spine and shoulder are all messed up from a dual-accident and despite knowing I have limitations ...I, too get all confident and then the inevitable shaky arm comes trembling down inches from my skull despite my brain saying "no, it's cool...really...I'm good" Ahhh good times for all.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

my first t'ai chi class was the winter of 1986/87. my last was three years ago pmuch to the day. 30 years? it just wasn't something that's been worth pursuing for me, past the first set of reasonable-diligence tries. it's not embarrassment that makes me drop it. it's usually frustration over the communication gap between me and most people to whom body stuff just makes sense. i certainly don't internalize the difference. i just end up fecking pissed about how i can't communicate with people who don't understand the questions themselves that i'm trying to ask.
    Which is so frustrating and heart breaking- because with a good instructor- you can and will be able to learn past your own two left feet. :(

i guess . . . i mean, in fairness to the instructors i had, i think i'm a genuinely atypical subject. i'm not kinaesthetically stupid, but my mind just takes its own pathways to 'getting' things. i can't use 97% of the information most 'teachers' give me. and i typically need a ton of information most of them consider irrelevant. so i hear the words, i grok the theoretical point or whatever, but it doesn't parse. and in fairness to me, not everybody who is teaching something because they're good at it themselves should be teaching that thing. the mindset gap is for real. i just haven't found it to be worth it to pursue the bridging when it comes to those kinds of things.
    I think if you want to do something- there is a way to make it happen- no matter how "slow" the progress.

yeah, pretty much. which is why for me it's not the end of the world if i never do do tai chi or get the dance figured out. i don't care enough about either of them for it to really be that big a deal. with lifting i did care, so i fired or eliminated people until i found someone who was smart enough to know how to back off.

Everyone has a different "language". I absolutely understand what you're getting at LOL.

My dance teacher spent several years learning how to teach adults- like actually getting educated for it- which is more than most dance teachers ever do. She's been teaching for a long time- and she actively talks about the different ways we process information- and it's funny- in the same room- we'll have 5 people and usually there are 3-4 main ways in which the information is processed- and we'll all latch STRONGLY on to one or the other- when s**t falls apart- we revert back to that languages but as we get better/more adept- we use the other languages and become "multilingual" at processing- and it really helps.

But having been there- and gone through a lot of that- I totally feel you.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I once pushed myself too hard playing arcade dance games and promptly threw up in an adjacent trash can, In front of a crowd of onlookers.
    Not my proudest moment.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I once pushed myself too hard playing arcade dance games and promptly threw up in an adjacent trash can, In front of a crowd of onlookers.
    Not my proudest moment.

IMHO that's badass LOL- not something to be ashamed of!
  • katielily84
    katielily84 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ugh the yogi phrase "it's ok to use the blocks if you need to" is the soundtrack to my life.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    In a kickboxing class, tired, hungover, not paying attention. We were doing uppercuts to warm up and I managed to punch myself in the face. I looked over and the instructor was trying really hard not to laugh.

The worst part is that a week later I did it AGAIN.

I haven't done that yet, but I could see how it could happen :) The trainers can always tell when I am hungover in kickboxing though, it's not pretty, but I do feel better after the workout!
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I stepped on a moving treadmill once and fell off. I hadn't noticed the previous user hadn't turned it off.

Recently I dropped my phone on the emergency stop and abruptly ended my run. I ended up doing 6k that day I was punishing myself I guess
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'm a scarlet woman too. Body conditioning teacher at dance school would check on me. Just scarlet, totally fine!

I'm actually clumsier in real life, faceplant the ground or trip over myself more regularly than I would like to admit. Walk into door handles, kick table legs, you get the idea.