Meal kits: what's the point?

IMO it's just as easy to go to the store, buy a bag of salad mix and a can of tuna or a box of pasta and some cooked chicken. Why are people spending $X.XX dollars a month on meal kits like Hello Fresh, Blue Apron, etc.

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    lol OP and I eat the same thing.

I don't know. I hate cooking and can't imagine I'd enjoy assembling something I paid X amount for either. Gimme the bag of lettuce and some hot dogs.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    All the prep work is done except the actual cooking. That said, the one I looked at was pretty high calories per serving for most meals.
  • KammyWal
    KammyWal Posts: 3 Member
    They're called "children". Many of us like to eat, but don't like to cook.

Very true
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    It's a convenience, like anything else. If I lived alone, I might try it. Probably too pricey for more than one person.
  • NoLimitFemme
    NoLimitFemme Posts: 118 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Convenience and getting to try new foods without buying all the spices can be handy for some. This is like saying why go out to eat when you can eat lettuce and tuna at home. Different people like and prioritize different things. Nbd.

This is the only reason that I'd consider buying a meal kit. It would have to be a dish that I'd never make on my own, but am curious to try. I'd rather not buy a full size spice if it is something specific to a dish that I may never make again.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    I did home chef for a while - it simply came down to cost effectiveness - even with factoring in shipping, to buy the limited amounts that I needed for certain recipes (because I would need a full bottle rather than the limited amount in the serving) was cheaper and less wasteful - only need 3 spring onions - I'd get that, rather than having to buy a whole bunch that I might not use elsewhere