What's the strangest diet you've heard/witnessed someone being on? (Not fad diets.)

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    LonniJay wrote: »
    My older sister would put brown sugar in her food and never used white sugar. Upon asking her why she said "because brown sugar is healthier and not bleached like white sugar." Once I finished laughing and was able to compose myself I asked her if she ever read the ingredients. That's the day she learned brown sugar is simply sugar with added molasses. Delicious, YES! Healthier, not even slightly. Apparently brown = healthy in her world. :D

While regular white cane sugar generally IS bleached using bone char derived from cows, you can buy brown and (off) white sugar than wasn't bleached.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/05/sugar-vegan-bone-char-yikes_n_6391496.html
  • kshama2001
    goodkoalie wrote: »
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    kenzienal wrote: »
    ElvisPedro wrote: »
    Not really diet but I know a few people who will not let food types touch each other on their plate and have to eat items separately. Eg if baked beans touched a sausage the whole meal would be ruined and they'd refuse to eat it.

this. knew a guy who hated tomatoes, and once when dining out with him and he ordered a sandwich, the restaurant forgot to leave off the tomatoes. he couldn't just take tomatoes off the sandwich, it had to be completely re-made since the juice had tainted everything else.

another interesting quirk i've witnessed: people who eat meals in sections; my ex would do this. basically if he ordered a burger and fries, he would eat the burger first and then work on the fries; if he had meat and sides, he'd eat all of one side first and then start on the meat, etc.. his sister did the same thing... i personally saw it as a very inefficient way of eating since one of those foods is going to be cold by the time you got to it! his perspective was that he wanted to enjoy the food in its purity without having other flavors in the mix?? whatever, he's a loser.

Well, this coulda been describing me. Lol

I have a serious hatred of pickles. I cant stand the taste or smell of them, and then the pickle juice always seeps into the bread. Its gross. I wont send back a sandwich over it, but I definitely don't enjoy it.

Also, I am definitely a person who can only eat one part of my meal at a time. I usually eat the thing I least like on the plate first, saving the favorite part for last. So if I have broccoli, mac & cheese and steak, I will eat the broccoli, then the steak, then the mac&cheese.

I am weird, I know. Lol. I just like to enjoy the flavors separately. There is only like 2-3 foods I will mix all together. Chipotle Burrito Bowl and Shepherds pie are all that come to mind at the moment.

When I was young, I use to eat either white bread with butter, or white bread with ketchup. Nothing else, not even toasted. Little weirdo.

I get you. I'll pick off tomatoes and eat the sandwich, but if pickle juice has sogged the bread? I'm out.

And I'll tell you straight up, the REAL reason I don't eat McDonald's is because you always ask for no onions, and then they put those f*ckers on there, anyway, and they're chopped up and mixed with the ketchup and stuck in the cheese, and you have to SCRAPE the whole thing off, and then you've got a dry sandwich except that you're still going to get a little bit of onion, guaranteed.

And this only happens in the drive-through. I'm pretty sure they do it on purpose "Ha! She'll discover those onions after she's already home and taken off her shoes and locked up the garage and there's NO WAY she's coming back!" I'll bet they take bets and everything.
    That is why I always make a point to check in the drive through, in front of the window where you get your food before driving away

Yup, that's where I check to make sure no nasty raw tomato ended up on my chicken.
  • kshama2001
    AliceDark wrote: »
    reneeelc wrote: »
    Not a diet--but this one woman I knew was *LEGIT* grossed out from any vegetables because she had been eating crap her whole life.
    Yeah, it's really normal for people not to develop tastes for foods they didn't grow up eating. It's really common for people who grew up in poorer households not to like the taste of fresh vegetables because they were never exposed to them. I'm not saying that's the case for this particular woman, but it is the case for other people. So maybe don't judge people for their eating habits because it's a *kitten* thing to do.

Ya, I had a coworker who would not eat any vegetables she had not had as a kid.

And my OH has a hard time with some fresh herbs because his mother didn't cook with them much. I was going crazy wondering why sometimes he liked one of my Thai dishes and sometimes he didn't until I finally figured out that sometimes I would add fresh ginger and sometimes not. With other herbs I'm usually ok if I decrease the amount called for.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    My nephew, now in his twenties, eats very limited foods: Plain white spaghetti with dry parmesan cheese from a can, cheese pizza, tortilla chips with cheese, a few kinds of cookies, some chocolate . . . not much else. At holidays, while everyone feasts on the yummy things his grandma (my SIL) makes - like roast turkey or baked ham, cheesy potatoes or potatoes/gravy, baked beans, candied sweet potatoes, various salads, pie with ice cream - he makes himself spaghetti with parmesan dust from the shaker can.

One Thanksgiving years back when he was a kid, his grandparents said they'd buy him the recently-released new model of Playstation (a big deal then) if he'd eat one bite of turkey. He couldn't make himself do it.

I don't know how the boy lives.

In the "one weird food habit" category: When I was a kid, I liked to eat frozen breaded fishsticks . . . still frozen. :o Yikes!
  • Jennifer7Five
    Jennifer7Five Posts: 13 Member
    I'll tell on myself first; I also don't like my food to touch, I won't get a new plate, but I will eat around the offending items. The exception is that I don't mind if maple syrup gets on my sausage or bacon- that's delicious. But no, syrup can not touch the eggs. I also tend to eat one thing at a time and I save the best/ perfect bite for last. I can also go for months on end and eat the same thing everyday. (or at least same breakfast, same lunch)

I don't like whole tomatoes, but I will eat tomato sauce or ketchup. I like pickles, but not on a burger/sandwich. There are not a lot of vegetables that I care for - but I've tried to eat/try/cook more since I've had kids. It's mostly a texture thing for me.

I have a friend who will not eat sauces, dips, or condiments of any kind. Thinks they are gross. No guac, salsa, ketchup, dressing, etc.

I had a friend in HS and she and her mom would eat breakfast at night before bed, so that they didn't have to waste time in the morning, and they could sleep longer. :D
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I currently eat a diet void of fruits (with exception on melon and bananas), vegetables (except lettuce), legumes, and whole grains. Its also very low in dietary fats. My diet consists of lean proteins, refined carbs, water, juice (no pulp), jello, Ensure and Orgain nutritional drinks, lowfat dairy, and a few type of produce. Unfortunately, it's still difficult for me to reach my daily calories. I reach 1,100 if I'm lucky. Many people assumed I have an eating disorder. God forbid they develop Gastroparesis someday. I assure you it ain't fun.

Sounds similar to my diet up until recently but I was able to eat moderate fat. I have crohn's though. My diet is now expanding because I had my colon and rectum removed and have a permanent ileostomy. Still can't do high fiber, nuts, seeds, legumes but can eat more veggies than before (without skin). Have to eat according to how my output is each day as dehydration is a major issue without a colon.
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Those idiots who claim to live on nothing but light and air. Liars...

Maybe they're photosynthesising?

I did a lot of this stuff as a kid, not allowing food to touch, eating meal components separately. I used to vomit if I couldn't cope with the texture. I still can't eat anything like porridge or rice pudding. Makes my stomach turn just thinking of it. When I started cooking for myself i would get super agitated if I didn't have one ingredient a recipie was "supposed to" have and would end up scrapping the whole thing.

I'm mostly better now, or at least I've come a long way. I can tell when my anxiety is kicking off though because I start to get worked up about food.

From being a thread that started, I think, in a rather mean spirited and slightly mocking tone it's ended up making me feel a lot more normal. I grew up being the only person I knew with food issues, everyone else just seemed to eat normally.
  • tk2222
    tk2222 Posts: 199 Member
    When I was a camp counsellor, there was a kid (maybe 13-14 years old) who would only, only drink diet coke. No water, no tea, no juice, just diet coke. I repeat - no water. She came for the two+ weeks, outdoor camping in a very hot climate, hikes, swims, etc, with a couple of boxes of 2-liter diet coke bottles, and her parents brought another set when they came for the visit day.

I wasn't closely involved with her so I don't know if it was a temporary teenage thing, a more serious long-term issue, a fad diet of some kind or what - I just know we were all concerned and keeping an eye on her because there was a serious expectation that she would just get seriously dehydrated. There was a substantial debate whether we should even allow her to stay, as a safety issue.
  • MichK666
    MichK666 Posts: 11 Member
    DamieBird wrote: »
    If I was to pick people's weirdo diets, it's those who eat inedible objects like newspapers that has no nutrition.

I was that weird kid who ate paper. Thankfully I outgrew it, but I would sit there doing my homework and could finish an entire sheet of notebook paper. I think I liked the way that it dissolved in my mouth? I'm not even sure, but I probably did that from the time that I was 5 or so until 10ish.

That's Pica. I used to do the same, but would also roll rocks and other hard objects, like beads, around my mouth. Then I would chew ice.
  • Had a friend who'd eat tissues to fill his tummy cause he believed he would over eat and hated feeling hungry.
    He ate a handful of tissues before devouring a burger with fries and rinse it down with Coke.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Not diet, but when I make spaghetti - I like to make everything seperate. My ex liked to mix the sauce with the noodles all in one pot. I cook the noodles and keep them seperate from the sauce and/or meatballs and then I dish it out one by one - first the noodles and then the sauce sitting on top. **Although, if someone makes it all in one I will still eat it because I was raised with 2 options for dinner 1. take it or 2. leave it! :)

haha. Same here. The whole mixing it all in a big pot before serving it is straaaaaaaange. ;)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    missh1967 wrote: »
    Not diet, but when I make spaghetti - I like to make everything seperate. My ex liked to mix the sauce with the noodles all in one pot. I cook the noodles and keep them seperate from the sauce and/or meatballs and then I dish it out one by one - first the noodles and then the sauce sitting on top. **Although, if someone makes it all in one I will still eat it because I was raised with 2 options for dinner 1. take it or 2. leave it! :)

haha. Same here. The whole mixing it all in a big pot before serving it is straaaaaaaange. ;)

I prefer it mixed in! I like the noodles cooked al dente and then finished by cooking with the sauce and fixings before serving because the sauce coats the pasta more evenly, seeping into it, preventing it from sticking to itself creating sticky naked pasta patches which I hate. It's not strange at all!
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    missh1967 wrote: »

I prefer it mixed in! I like the noodles cooked al dente and then finished by cooking with the sauce and fixings before serving because the sauce coats the pasta more evenly, seeping into it, preventing it from sticking to itself creating sticky naked pasta patches which I hate. It's not strange at all!

LOL I can see that. I think my issue is that sometimes I want extra sauce on my pasta, and I feel like if it's mixed altogether first, I can't get extra sauce. I'm weird.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    kenzienal wrote: »
    ElvisPedro wrote: »
    Not really diet but I know a few people who will not let food types touch each other on their plate and have to eat items separately. Eg if baked beans touched a sausage the whole meal would be ruined and they'd refuse to eat it.

this. knew a guy who hated tomatoes, and once when dining out with him and he ordered a sandwich, the restaurant forgot to leave off the tomatoes. he couldn't just take tomatoes off the sandwich, it had to be completely re-made since the juice had tainted everything else.

another interesting quirk i've witnessed: people who eat meals in sections; my ex would do this. basically if he ordered a burger and fries, he would eat the burger first and then work on the fries; if he had meat and sides, he'd eat all of one side first and then start on the meat, etc.. his sister did the same thing... i personally saw it as a very inefficient way of eating since one of those foods is going to be cold by the time you got to it! his perspective was that he wanted to enjoy the food in its purity without having other flavors in the mix?? whatever, he's a loser.

Well, this coulda been describing me. Lol

I have a serious hatred of pickles. I cant stand the taste or smell of them, and then the pickle juice always seeps into the bread. Its gross. I wont send back a sandwich over it, but I definitely don't enjoy it.

Also, I am definitely a person who can only eat one part of my meal at a time. I usually eat the thing I least like on the plate first, saving the favorite part for last. So if I have broccoli, mac & cheese and steak, I will eat the broccoli, then the steak, then the mac&cheese.

I am weird, I know. Lol. I just like to enjoy the flavors separately. There is only like 2-3 foods I will mix all together. Chipotle Burrito Bowl and Shepherds pie are all that come to mind at the moment.

When I was young, I use to eat either white bread with butter, or white bread with ketchup. Nothing else, not even toasted. Little weirdo.

I get you. I'll pick off tomatoes and eat the sandwich, but if pickle juice has sogged the bread? I'm out.

And I'll tell you straight up, the REAL reason I don't eat McDonald's is because you always ask for no onions, and then they put those f*ckers on there, anyway, and they're chopped up and mixed with the ketchup and stuck in the cheese, and you have to SCRAPE the whole thing off, and then you've got a dry sandwich except that you're still going to get a little bit of onion, guaranteed.

And this only happens in the drive-through. I'm pretty sure they do it on purpose "Ha! She'll discover those onions after she's already home and taken off her shoes and locked up the garage and there's NO WAY she's coming back!" I'll bet they take bets and everything.

Keep their number, keep the receipt. Call the manager. Your next one will be comped. Call back enough times, they'll figure it out, and you'll get what you want.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Maybe not weird, but kind of grossed me out... I know a guy who eats a whole roasted garlic everyday. Sometimes, he will roast several of them and eat them all in one sitting.

I'm pretty sure some people who shop at my local organic store do that, because the garlic smell wafting off of them is so overwhelming.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    DamieBird wrote: »
    My two dogs get the last two (small) bites of whatever I'm eating at home (as long as it's dog friendly). They have to be patient and sit quietly through the meal, first though ;). I never go back and re-weigh, I just count it as a few bonus calories that I'm not consuming.

Me too! Yes, I just figure "oh there goes 1 or 2 calories!" They totally expect it and get really annoyed if it's something dogs shouldn't have and I don't give them anything. Though one guy who went to our dog meet-up would always say "well one bite of ____ isn't a problem." But I try to be really careful and not give them things that will cause a problem.