What's the strangest diet you've heard/witnessed someone being on? (Not fad diets.)

Options

Replies

• cawaff
    cawaff Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    I once knew a woman who tried a diet that let her eat as much of anything she wanted for one hour a day. She could not eat at all the rest of the time.

Needless to say, she didn't last long on that one.

Dang, that's really weird why someone would think that works. The things people do just to lose weight is crazy.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    ElvisPedro wrote: »
    Not really diet but I know a few people who will not let food types touch each other on their plate and have to eat items separately. Eg if baked beans touched a sausage the whole meal would be ruined and they'd refuse to eat it.

this is me. i have to use separate bowls for some foods so they don't get on my other foods. if a pea gets into my macaroni, i have to get a new plate. i also have to use a new fork if i get seconds.
  • kenzienal
    kenzienal Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Not really diet but I know a few people who will not let food types touch each other on their plate and have to eat items separately. Eg if baked beans touched a sausage the whole meal would be ruined and they'd refuse to eat it.

this. knew a guy who hated tomatoes, and once when dining out with him and he ordered a sandwich, the restaurant forgot to leave off the tomatoes. he couldn't just take tomatoes off the sandwich, it had to be completely re-made since the juice had tainted everything else.

another interesting quirk i've witnessed: people who eat meals in sections; my ex would do this. basically if he ordered a burger and fries, he would eat the burger first and then work on the fries; if he had meat and sides, he'd eat all of one side first and then start on the meat, etc.. his sister did the same thing... i personally saw it as a very inefficient way of eating since one of those foods is going to be cold by the time you got to it! his perspective was that he wanted to enjoy the food in its purity without having other flavors in the mix?? whatever, he's a loser.

Well, this coulda been describing me. Lol

I have a serious hatred of pickles. I cant stand the taste or smell of them, and then the pickle juice always seeps into the bread. Its gross. I wont send back a sandwich over it, but I definitely don't enjoy it.

Also, I am definitely a person who can only eat one part of my meal at a time. I usually eat the thing I least like on the plate first, saving the favorite part for last. So if I have broccoli, mac & cheese and steak, I will eat the broccoli, then the steak, then the mac&cheese.

I am weird, I know. Lol. I just like to enjoy the flavors separately. There is only like 2-3 foods I will mix all together. Chipotle Burrito Bowl and Shepherds pie are all that come to mind at the moment.

When I was young, I use to eat either white bread with butter, or white bread with ketchup. Nothing else, not even toasted. Little weirdo.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    reneeelc wrote: »
    I'm just curious because I'm sure one of you have a friend or family member that has been on some off-the-wall diet plan or habits. I'm not talking about the typical fad diets (grapefruit, cookie, paleo, etc).
    For example, this teenager once wouldn't eat lunch but was eating a hefty breakfast, such as tons of pancakes and syrup, butter, tots, and the whole bit lol.
    Not a diet--but this one woman I knew was *LEGIT* grossed out from any vegetables because she had been eating crap her whole life.

What are some odd habits/diets you have seen?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread.

Not a 'diet' at all, or anything to do with weight loss, but I know of someone who won't eat anything white. No mayo, ranch dressing, white cheese, cauliflower. He can't explain why. It totally grosses him out.
  • ManBehindTheMask
    ManBehindTheMask Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Water only for one week, while keeping training intensity the same :D

.... because apparently 'nothing else works'
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    As far as potentially bizarre weight loss diet things go, my gym teacher in elementary school ate an entire stick of butter for lunch. Like a candy bar, just unwrap and chomp. It really grossed me out as a kid, and even now I get a little queasy thinking about it. She told us it was to help lose weight but back then, I didn't ask many more questions and I guess if she somehow managed to fit a stick of butter into her calories for the day...I don't remember her losing any weight though.
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    kenzienal wrote: »

this. knew a guy who hated tomatoes, and once when dining out with him and he ordered a sandwich, the restaurant forgot to leave off the tomatoes. he couldn't just take tomatoes off the sandwich, it had to be completely re-made since the juice had tainted everything else.

another interesting quirk i've witnessed: people who eat meals in sections; my ex would do this. basically if he ordered a burger and fries, he would eat the burger first and then work on the fries; if he had meat and sides, he'd eat all of one side first and then start on the meat, etc.. his sister did the same thing... i personally saw it as a very inefficient way of eating since one of those foods is going to be cold by the time you got to it! his perspective was that he wanted to enjoy the food in its purity without having other flavors in the mix?? whatever, he's a loser.

Well, this coulda been describing me. Lol

I have a serious hatred of pickles. I cant stand the taste or smell of them, and then the pickle juice always seeps into the bread. Its gross. I wont send back a sandwich over it, but I definitely don't enjoy it.

Also, I am definitely a person who can only eat one part of my meal at a time. I usually eat the thing I least like on the plate first, saving the favorite part for last. So if I have broccoli, mac & cheese and steak, I will eat the broccoli, then the steak, then the mac&cheese.

I am weird, I know. Lol. I just like to enjoy the flavors separately. There is only like 2-3 foods I will mix all together. Chipotle Burrito Bowl and Shepherds pie are all that come to mind at the moment.

When I was young, I use to eat either white bread with butter, or white bread with ketchup. Nothing else, not even toasted. Little weirdo.

gurl, gimme yo pickles, i will eat the *kitten* out of them, hahaha.

hey we're either weirdos or liars :D i can't eat scrambled eggs without ketchup--that was the only way my mom would get me to eat them when i was young, and as a 29-year-old, i still find regular scrambled eggs boring and bland. and i have tried it with salsa and/or hot sauce and it's just not the same...
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My sister!! She's 42, BTW.

I once had a co-worker who would put sweet-n-low on everything. I am not exaggerating-- EVERYTHING. Ice cream, pot roast, green beans, sandwiches- literally everything. She carried hundreds of packs with her everywhere she went. So strange.

I don't like having my food touch. Mainly salty touching sweet like if my eggs touch fruits on my plate, I wont eat the egg part that's touching the fruit lol. But if my bacon eggs and sausage touch I'm fine with it. I'd never put my eggs near pancakes and syrup though! haha
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Some idiot family member of a teenage boy I used to to work with thought that because she did body wraps, that made her a fitness expert. The teen was a bit overweight and had serious self esteem issues, so with Moms encouragment he went to wrapper to get "help". After the wrap was done she put this 15 year old boy on a 500 calorie diet, and then told him to wear gloves at work (I was a dog groomer he was my bather) and when showering because the calories from soap and conditioner would soak into his skin and ruin his "diet". I was pretty furious about the fact that his family actually encouraged this *kitten*. Fortunately after he got good and sick a few days later, he realized that I was right and that was a stupid *kitten* thing to do to a teenager!
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Not diet, but when I make spaghetti - I like to make everything seperate. My ex liked to mix the sauce with the noodles all in one pot. I cook the noodles and keep them seperate from the sauce and/or meatballs and then I dish it out one by one - first the noodles and then the sauce sitting on top. **Although, if someone makes it all in one I will still eat it because I was raised with 2 options for dinner 1. take it or 2. leave it! :)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I myself, at the age of 14, had no food other than air-popped popcorn without any oil or salt and drank no liquid other than water or diet Dr Pepper for 3 months. I lost from about 220 to about 178 and then got pneumonia, when I lost another 5-10 lb. Upon recovery, I ate a 20" pizza to launch my 24 year stretch of gaining weight which only ended in 2000 after averaging 20 lb gained per year.

I still prefer air-popped popcorn, but now I spray it with olive oil and sprinkle it with salt.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    reneeelc wrote: »
    Not a diet--but this one woman I knew was *LEGIT* grossed out from any vegetables because she had been eating crap her whole life.
    Yeah, it's really normal for people not to develop tastes for foods they didn't grow up eating. It's really common for people who grew up in poorer households not to like the taste of fresh vegetables because they were never exposed to them. I'm not saying that's the case for this particular woman, but it is the case for other people. So maybe don't judge people for their eating habits because it's a *kitten* thing to do.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    My BIL once did the Polo Mint diet! Yeah anytime he got hungry he would suck on a mint! ( obviously he had 3 proper meals a day, the idea was to stop snacking) It worked too until he got fed up eating them and the weight went back on
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    My old boss's husband went on a "cereal diet" where he ate nothing but cereal until he lost the weight he wanted to lose. Me, I love cereal so much I'd probably gain doing that.

Haha been there done that and yep, enjoyed the cereal ( Special K )far too much totally sickened myself and also was constipated/ bloated !! :/