What's the strangest diet you've heard/witnessed someone being on? (Not fad diets.)

Options

Replies

• yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    it's not really a diet, it's more a weird taste thing: I know someone whose idea of a good meal MUST contain onions. He eats a ridiculous amount of onions.

I also know someone who explained his vegetarianism (because that can get so confusing - the levels of strictness can vary so much) as follows: he won't eat anything that has eyes and has a mother.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    reneeelc wrote: »
    I'm just curious because I'm sure one of you have a friend or family member that has been on some off-the-wall diet plan or habits. I'm not talking about the typical fad diets (grapefruit, cookie, paleo, etc).
    For example, this teenager once wouldn't eat lunch but was eating a hefty breakfast, such as tons of pancakes and syrup, butter, tots, and the whole bit lol.
    Not a diet--but this one woman I knew was *LEGIT* grossed out from any vegetables because she had been eating crap her whole life.

What are some odd habits/diets you have seen?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread.

so the teenager sounds like either IF or an eating disorder and the woman who can’t eat vegetables would probably be best served with a therapist... but as long as you find this thread entertaining...

All. Of. This.
  • brendacs21
    brendacs21 Posts: 180 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I had a coworker years ago who was in her 20s and every week would do a new diet. What was odd was they were all very different from the week before. Like lets say one week was atkins and she was 100% on it, next week she was on a vegetarian diet . There was one diet she did that one day all she ate was fruits, nothing else but the next day she could eat anything she wanted nothing was off limits, not even amounts. Next day it was fruits again. She never stuck to anything and did not lose the weight (at least at the time) I always thought she had a nice shape and not a lot of weight to lose but she just went to extremes!
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    ElvisPedro wrote: »
    Not really diet but I know a few people who will not let food types touch each other on their plate and have to eat items separately. Eg if baked beans touched a sausage the whole meal would be ruined and they'd refuse to eat it.
    My sister!! She's 42, BTW.

I once had a co-worker who would put sweet-n-low on everything. I am not exaggerating-- EVERYTHING. Ice cream, pot roast, green beans, sandwiches- literally everything. She carried hundreds of packs with her everywhere she went. So strange.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I once knew a woman who tried a diet that let her eat as much of anything she wanted for one hour a day. She could not eat at all the rest of the time.

Needless to say, she didn't last long on that one.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My old boss's husband went on a "cereal diet" where he ate nothing but cereal until he lost the weight he wanted to lose. Me, I love cereal so much I'd probably gain doing that.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    My dad tried the Rice Diet. That's weird mainly because the only way he actually enjoys rice is in rice pudding. I... wasn't totally shocked when he dropped it.

Mom was doing one of the cookie diets. I think this one, but I'm not positive.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    If I was to pick people's weirdo diets, it's those who eat inedible objects like newspapers that has no nutrition.

I was that weird kid who ate paper. Thankfully I outgrew it, but I would sit there doing my homework and could finish an entire sheet of notebook paper. I think I liked the way that it dissolved in my mouth? I'm not even sure, but I probably did that from the time that I was 5 or so until 10ish.
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Not really diet but I know a few people who will not let food types touch each other on their plate and have to eat items separately. Eg if baked beans touched a sausage the whole meal would be ruined and they'd refuse to eat it.

this. knew a guy who hated tomatoes, and once when dining out with him and he ordered a sandwich, the restaurant forgot to leave off the tomatoes. he couldn't just take tomatoes off the sandwich, it had to be completely re-made since the juice had tainted everything else.

another interesting quirk i've witnessed: people who eat meals in sections; my ex would do this. basically if he ordered a burger and fries, he would eat the burger first and then work on the fries; if he had meat and sides, he'd eat all of one side first and then start on the meat, etc.. his sister did the same thing... i personally saw it as a very inefficient way of eating since one of those foods is going to be cold by the time you got to it! his perspective was that he wanted to enjoy the food in its purity without having other flavors in the mix?? whatever, he's a loser.

and to throw myself under the bus: i think that book "the starch solution" was modeled on how i ate as a child. i always ate pasta noodles plain without sauce, i always scraped off the toppings of my pizza (even the cheese) and would just eat the cooked crust, i ate burgers plain and dry with just the meat and bun. however this was all remedied by the time i got to college and now i'll eat everything. and that's probably why i'm here.... :#

• Coltsforlife84
    Coltsforlife84 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    ront1960 wrote: »
    I know this is gross as hell, but my sister-in-law (who doesn't play with a full deck anyway) was doing a coffee enema diet. I didn't want to ask any more questions about it, I walked away. ewwwwwwww

hell na lol
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »

this. knew a guy who hated tomatoes, and once when dining out with him and he ordered a sandwich, the restaurant forgot to leave off the tomatoes. he couldn't just take tomatoes off the sandwich, it had to be completely re-made since the juice had tainted everything else.

another interesting quirk i've witnessed: people who eat meals in sections; my ex would do this. basically if he ordered a burger and fries, he would eat the burger first and then work on the fries; if he had meat and sides, he'd eat all of one side first and then start on the meat, etc.. his sister did the same thing... i personally saw it as a very inefficient way of eating since one of those foods is going to be cold by the time you got to it! his perspective was that he wanted to enjoy the food in its purity without having other flavors in the mix?? whatever, he's a loser.

i think that book "the starch solution" was modeled on how i ate as a child. i always ate pasta noodles plain without sauce, i always scraped off the toppings of my pizza (even the cheese) and would just eat the cooked crust, i ate burgers plain and dry with just the meat and bun. however this was all remedied by the time i got to college and now i'll eat everything. and that's probably why i'm here.... :#

No, no, this is an EXTREMELY efficient way to eat! You eat the best, most delicious part of your meal, and you eat it at its ideal temperature and enjoy it to the fullest. Then, if you're still hungry, you nibble on the lesser items a bit.

haha, i'll stand corrected; could be an indirect tool for weight loss since after finishing all of your burger, you're too full to work on the fries. but then again, his sister eats the same way and is definitely... not thin :D but i do like my flavor breaks now and then.
  • cawaff
    cawaff Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The "Cotton Ball" Diet. You're apparently suppose to soak up cotton balls in broth or soup then eat the cotton balls?! You'll feel more full and still get your "nutrition". Yeah..Pretty crazy.