What's the strangest diet you've heard/witnessed someone being on? (Not fad diets.)

Options
HayItsRenee
HayItsRenee Posts: 46 Member
I'm just curious because I'm sure one of you have a friend or family member that has been on some off-the-wall diet plan or habits. I'm not talking about the typical fad diets (grapefruit, cookie, paleo, etc).
For example, this teenager once wouldn't eat lunch but was eating a hefty breakfast, such as tons of pancakes and syrup, butter, tots, and the whole bit lol.
Not a diet--but this one woman I knew was *LEGIT* grossed out from any vegetables because she had been eating crap her whole life.

What are some odd habits/diets you have seen?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread.

Replies

• HayItsRenee
    Options
    reneeelc wrote: »
    I'm just curious because I'm sure one of you have a friend or family member that has been on some off-the-wall diet plan or habits. I'm not talking about the typical fad diets (grapefruit, cookie, paleo, etc).
    For example, this teenager once wouldn't eat lunch but was eating a hefty breakfast, such as tons of pancakes and syrup, butter, tots, and the whole bit lol.
    Not a diet--but this one woman I knew was *LEGIT* grossed out from any vegetables because she had been eating crap her whole life.

so the teenager sounds like either IF or an eating disorder and the woman who can’t eat vegetables would probably be best served with a therapist... but as long as you find this thread entertaining...

Not an eating disorder. Mind you, this was 10+ years ago. She had this grand idea because she heard that if you eat breakfast that is big you'll lose weight if skipping a meal. The other one clearly has some sensory issues going on, haha.
    I'm just curious for crazy things you've heard.
  • HayItsRenee
    Options
    A girl I went to primary school with had to walk while she ate. Her whole family walked around eating meals because her mum thought they needed to move more to help burn off their food.

Wow. Poor kid!
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I knew someone at uni who was pretty terrified by eating penne tubes - she would have to cut them up, she was convinced she couldn't eat them whole.

A lot of her weird food quirks started off as faked for attention/to be special, until she developed a full-blown eating disorder. She recovered as far as I know.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    ElvisPedro wrote: »
    Not really diet but I know a few people who will not let food types touch each other on their plate and have to eat items separately. Eg if baked beans touched a sausage the whole meal would be ruined and they'd refuse to eat it.

I wouldn't eat mixed foods when I was little. I had to see all the ingredients separately.
  • HayItsRenee
    Options
    I knew someone at uni who was pretty terrified by eating penne tubes - she would have to cut them up, she was convinced she couldn't eat them whole.

A lot of her weird food quirks started off as faked for attention/to be special, until she developed a full-blown eating disorder. She recovered as far as I know.

That's unfortunate! :(
  • HayItsRenee
    Options
    Not really diet but I know a few people who will not let food types touch each other on their plate and have to eat items separately. Eg if baked beans touched a sausage the whole meal would be ruined and they'd refuse to eat it.

I wouldn't eat mixed foods when I was little. I had to see all the ingredients separately.

I was the same way. Even though I love all types of flavors and mixings now, as a kid I'd be picky about things touching. Sometimes I just wanted pasta with no sauce. Also, steak sauce upsets my stomach. So many good foods I didn't eat back then and love now! Childhood was a strange time.
  • HayItsRenee
    Options
    I would never ever eat chicken that touched or was anywhere near bone or skin after cooking, it has to be completely stripped and cleaned before cooking and it has to be breast meat. Some people think that's weird. On the flip side, I used to take a full head of lettuce or whole tomatoes with me as play snacks when I was a kid and bought tomato juice instead of the more popular orange juice kids bought. Kids thought that was weird because their play snacks were usually pieces of fruit and I was the only one with vegetables.

I eat at least a pound (sometimes up to 5) of whole raw tomatoes a day.

My friend's son mixes chocolate chips into everything, even savory dishes.

Nothing wrong w/ that. I used to hate tomatoes as a kid and I them whole sometimes hah.
    I don't eat meat anymore but I used to be really picky about chicken or anything really. Blood/bones/gristle all grossed me out.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I would never ever eat chicken that touched or was anywhere near bone or skin after cooking, it has to be completely stripped and cleaned before cooking and it has to be breast meat. Some people think that's weird. On the flip side, I used to take a full head of lettuce or whole tomatoes with me as play snacks when I was a kid and bought tomato juice instead of the more popular orange juice kids bought. Kids thought that was weird because their play snacks were usually pieces of fruit and I was the only one with vegetables.

I eat at least a pound (sometimes up to 5) of whole raw tomatoes a day.

My friend's son mixes chocolate chips into everything, even savory dishes.

Nothing wrong w/ that. I used to hate tomatoes as a kid and I them whole sometimes hah.
    I don't eat meat anymore but I used to be really picky about chicken or anything really. Blood/bones/gristle all grossed me out.

Liking tomatoes is not weird, but people think it's weird to have eaten them every single day without a break ever since I was a little kid except when I couldn't, like when fasting or after surgery. I go through about 50 pounds of them a month.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »

so the teenager sounds like either IF or an eating disorder and the woman who can’t eat vegetables would probably be best served with a therapist... but as long as you find this thread entertaining...

Not an eating disorder. Mind you, this was 10+ years ago. She had this grand idea because she heard that if you eat breakfast that is big you'll lose weight if skipping a meal. The other one clearly has some sensory issues going on, haha.

How nice that you think sensory issues are so amusing, you'd kill yourself laughing in this house as my son vomits because he can't cope with new foods or certain textures.

and you dont find that entertaining!? its obviously you who has the issue, not OP.

(That's sarcasm by the way....)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    There was a guy who measured out exactly the same amount of everything he ate (mostly different kinds of meat) and he ate the same thing every day.
  • joeyzuraski
    joeyzuraski Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If I was to pick people's weirdo diets, it's those who eat inedible objects like newspapers that has no nutrition.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »

How nice that you think sensory issues are so amusing, you'd kill yourself laughing in this house as my son vomits because he can't cope with new foods or certain textures.

and you dont find that entertaining!? its obviously you who has the issue, not OP.

(That's sarcasm by the way....)

Yeah, well the op definitely seems to think I have the problem, I'm just too sensitive to people getting their entertainment kicks from something that rules my life.
    Spend a day in an ASD house and you'll see the whole range of food quirks. I can't eat anything sweet mixed in to savoury, or fruit in cakes/puddings or chocolate as anything other than actual chocolate or orange flavour because it's not actual orange.
    Then I've got a child (now adult) who can't have different foods touching on a plate and will freak out if his peas touch his potatoes.
    Then there's another child who will vomit if he sees a food on someone else's plate that affects his sensory issues let alone if it appears on his plate.

Oh yes op, plenty of entertainment value with food in this house and not one of us has an eating disorder, we're all autistic.
  • Jonna13
    Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options

My kids do this. Hoping it's a phase because I love making casseroles! Lol