What's the strangest diet you've heard/witnessed someone being on? (Not fad diets.)

Options

Replies

• liaoverbrook
    liaoverbrook Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I wont have any sauce on my plate but i'll have it on a side dish an dip my food in it but pasta in sauce is fine, if im having a sandwich I wont have two slices of bread/toast i'll have whatever is in the sandwich on one slice and eat it with a knife and fork.
    I cant have a fried egg on my plate but I can eat it as a sandwich as above but I have to cut around the yolk and eat that last, if it pops before I'm ready to eat it, I will bin the rest.
    I will dunk my fries, burger and nuggets into my milkshake but only if they're from mcdonalds.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    tk2222 wrote: »
    When I was a camp counsellor, there was a kid (maybe 13-14 years old) who would only, only drink diet coke. No water, no tea, no juice, just diet coke. I repeat - no water. She came for the two+ weeks, outdoor camping in a very hot climate, hikes, swims, etc, with a couple of boxes of 2-liter diet coke bottles, and her parents brought another set when they came for the visit day.

I wasn't closely involved with her so I don't know if it was a temporary teenage thing, a more serious long-term issue, a fad diet of some kind or what - I just know we were all concerned and keeping an eye on her because there was a serious expectation that she would just get seriously dehydrated. There was a substantial debate whether we should even allow her to stay, as a safety issue.

if it makes you feel better, there is more water in diet coke than the diuretic will draw out. She couldnt get dehydrated from drinking it.
  • LonniJay
    LonniJay Posts: 3,740 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    LonniJay wrote: »
    My older sister would put brown sugar in her food and never used white sugar. Upon asking her why she said "because brown sugar is healthier and not bleached like white sugar." Once I finished laughing and was able to compose myself I asked her if she ever read the ingredients. That's the day she learned brown sugar is simply sugar with added molasses. Delicious, YES! Healthier, not even slightly. Apparently brown = healthy in her world. :D

While regular white cane sugar generally IS bleached using bone char derived from cows, you can buy brown and (off) white sugar than wasn't bleached.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/05/sugar-vegan-bone-char-yikes_n_6391496.html

This would be relevant but she wasn't using raw sugar or anything like that, just brown sugar. Literally white sugar with molasses. This was 13 years ago now and at the time she was trying to lose weight and eat "healthier" by switching to brown sugar. I remember this so well because I was watching her add 2 cups of the stuff to the chili she was making (disgusting) after adding two cups to the sloppy joes she made the night prior.

I, personally, cannot eat pancakes or french toast on the same plate as anything else. If the syrup touches anything I am grossed out. I like my eggs savory, not syrupy.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    tk2222 wrote: »
    When I was a camp counsellor, there was a kid (maybe 13-14 years old) who would only, only drink diet coke. No water, no tea, no juice, just diet coke. I repeat - no water. She came for the two+ weeks, outdoor camping in a very hot climate, hikes, swims, etc, with a couple of boxes of 2-liter diet coke bottles, and her parents brought another set when they came for the visit day.

I wasn't closely involved with her so I don't know if it was a temporary teenage thing, a more serious long-term issue, a fad diet of some kind or what - I just know we were all concerned and keeping an eye on her because there was a serious expectation that she would just get seriously dehydrated. There was a substantial debate whether we should even allow her to stay, as a safety issue.

Hi! I'm like that kid, only grown up. I live on Diet Mountain Dew - massive quantities of it. I am also a runner, so a lot of fluid loss. No medical problems, no dehydration issues. It's not something I would recommend, but it's not as drastic as you appear to think it is.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    ElvisPedro wrote: »
    Not really diet but I know a few people who will not let food types touch each other on their plate and have to eat items separately. Eg if baked beans touched a sausage the whole meal would be ruined and they'd refuse to eat it.

My sister and nephew are this way. I feel so bad for them.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    cgrout78 wrote: »
    My husband was born without a sense of smell, so he's really particular about foods that don't have a strong taste because to him they have NO taste. So he won't eat pasta, rice, oatmeal anything like that because he says it just feels like a glob in his mouth. So when I make spaghetti he eats the sauce on chow mein noodles so that it's crunchy. Now the kids have started mixing them in with their regular pasta noodles as well.

Mine too! I swear he can only taste salt and pepper. He's really particular about textures too, he won't touch hard candy, I think it feels like rocks in his mouth.
  • alyssa_rest
    alyssa_rest Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    My friend in high school wanted to lose weight quickly for prom. At lunch, she'd chew her food and then spit it out....

Lasted about 2 days until we told her she couldn't sit at our lunch table anymore if she kept it up.
  • oliverwnc
    oliverwnc Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    There are some pretty horrific stories here! Quite a few kids have a phase, don't they? One I heard was only eating Marmite sandwiches (white bread) and peeled apples.

Seems odd to me. Food is just too good!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Not really diet but I know a few people who will not let food types touch each other on their plate and have to eat items separately. Eg if baked beans touched a sausage the whole meal would be ruined and they'd refuse to eat it.

I was like this as a kid. I also absolutely refused to eat casseroles (disgustingly popular back then) to the point of it being the only thing I'd sit at the table until bedtime rather than eat. Saved me (and I like to think my whole family) from the horrors of 70s cuisine involving leftover meats (or awful, awful canned tuna, one of the few foods that I still dislike so much it would make me gag if I tried to eat it) with canned cream of mushroom soup (again, ugh) and noodles and what not. Ugh. I recall after Thanksgiving my grandmother would make us a casserole with the leftovers but I'd get to have the leftovers plain -- nice, plain sliced turkey and the leftover vegetables and maybe mashed potatoes (NEVER with gravy, which I considered awful, but butter was good). Funny as I don't recall being permitted to get away with being picky normally (always was required to and did eat my meat and veg), but my desire to have plain food was more indulged, maybe because it didn't really require more work and I still ate basically the same stuff.

My exception about foods touching as a kid was spaghetti and meat sauce or lasagne.

I don't know when I got over this, but I have no issues now.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I was like this as a kid. I also absolutely refused to eat casseroles (disgustingly popular back then) to the point of it being the only thing I'd sit at the table until bedtime rather than eat. Saved me (and I like to think my whole family) from the horrors of 70s cuisine involving leftover meats (or awful, awful canned tuna, one of the few foods that I still dislike so much it would make me gag if I tried to eat it) with canned cream of mushroom soup (again, ugh) and noodles and what not. Ugh. I recall after Thanksgiving my grandmother would make us a casserole with the leftovers but I'd get to have the leftovers plain -- nice, plain sliced turkey and the leftover vegetables and maybe mashed potatoes (NEVER with gravy, which I considered awful, but butter was good). Funny as I don't recall being permitted to get away with being picky normally (always was required to and did eat my meat and veg), but my desire to have plain food was more indulged, maybe because it didn't really require more work and I still ate basically the same stuff.

My exception about foods touching as a kid was spaghetti and meat sauce or lasagne.

I don't know when I got over this, but I have no issues now.

Oh man, I ate that tuna mushroom noodle casserole quite a few times growing up- didn't mind it too much but it wasn't exactly my favorite.

Of course, I also have no problem mixing foods together (I like to do it, actually lol).
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Penn Jillette's diet .. which surprising to me , worked for him. It was a Mono Diet which basically you eat one thing all the time and it supposedly decreases your appetite by making food no longer interesting . It's supposedly changes your relationship with food. He lost a 100 pounds by only eating plain potatoes for two weeks then he phased in other vegetables .
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    This isnt that weird but if im drinking something from a can (sparkling water, diet soda, etc) I have to pour it into a cup, Im always afraid there will be something in the can, and if its in the can I wont see it until the end.

I do this too, but it's because I always get a sore if I make the mistake of drinking directly from a can. No, I don't know what the mechanism is. I can, however, drink from the can using a straw.

I'm another person who eats one item at a time. Usually, I start with the vegetables then the meat then the starch. That started when I was a kid (saving the best for last), but I've since heard that this is also a good way to control your calories (since if you get full partway through the meal, the most calorie-dense food is what gets left). Fries at a restaurant are always left for last because I know I'll never finish them since portions are almost always too large.

I have no objection to syrup getting on bacon or sausage - but I draw the line at syrup touching eggs. That's not allowed to happen on my plate!
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I think most kids have phases. Mine was very picky. He'd have phases where he just would accept one thing; just hot dogs, just chicken nuggets, etc. He still, at 22, hates virtually all vegetables. When he was 4 he went 3 days without supper, rather than take a single bite of mashed potatoes. He likes them now - but he was 20 years old before that happened. Now he's an adult, he lives on junk food. But he's thankfully naturally skinny so there's that.
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    [/quote] When I was young, I use to eat either white bread with butter, or white bread with ketchup. Nothing else, not even toasted. Little weirdo. [/quote]

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY PERSON IN THE WORLD WHO DID THIS! - everyone thinks I'm absolutely disgusting for eating ketchup with bread. My mom would leave us at home alone when we were young (single mom, no money, etc) and although she would leave food for us to eat I wouldn't be in the mood for it so I would get the bread and dip it in ketchup and have it as a treat. It just stuck with me and I still do it in restaurants for the world to see. My husband hates me for it :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Okay, I haven't seen this one yet, so here's one of my oddities. I've read most of my other one's in here to one degree or another (smarties must be eaten in colour pairs chewed one on each side of the mouth and then the oddballs are eaten last with their closest related colour, that's a little different from the previously mentioned small candies in two). The one I haven't seen in here (perhaps I missed it, or I am just weird), is that I eat the edges of certain foods first, like sandwiches and burgers. That gets rid of the crusts or the additional bun bites first, leaving just the middle juicy bites for the last.

I don't mind syrup running off my pancakes or French toast onto my eggs. Maple syrup eggs are a delightful treat, when it happens (I usually eat my pancakes or French toast with peanut butter and jam though). I do usually eat things one at a time though. I have no excuses/rationale for it though.