How should I portion my calories throughout the day?

Options
2»

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    limeysss wrote: »
    True. OP if you have digestive issues preventing you from sleep/being uncomfortable at night because of late eating then definitely eat earlier but if you're asking for any perceived benefit to weight loss; there is absolutely none.
    Nope! I was wondering if my metabolism would be less efficient by not eating all day, and then suddenly eating most of my calories. Idk how "starvation mode" works, but I've heard of it and wanted to make sure my body wasn't slowing down fat burning to conserve energy or something. It's something friends of mine mentioned but didn't have any solid advice or explanation to give me about it.

That's because it's hooey. ;)

+1
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Its best to apportion your calories the way it suits you best. This is an individual thing. Sorry your mornings can start badly were you to have breakfast. As in all things, do what is right for you.
  • ludds
    ludds Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I normally eat approx 250 for breakfast, 350 lunch and 500 dinner. Absolute approx, no real plan just what tends to happen the rest of my calories come from snacks/milk in a couole coffees. Today, randomly, I skipped breakfast altogether but ate 200-300 snacks/meals every couple of hours from 1100 onwards and feel like I've eaten tons but actually feel more hungry this evening (I don't normally feel hungry at all).

I don't really make any plans, especially being on mat leave there's less structure to my days so less food routine. Find what works best for you but just remember the bottom line is the total calories is what's important. When, what or how they're consumed is of far less value to weigtloss.

One thing i do do though is bunch a couple days together if I know i have a social event.. so one day may look over and one under but I know overall I've stayed within my goals.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Arleigh7 wrote: »
    Actually I somewhat disagree. Yes it's all about the calorie deficit but how and what you eat can help or hurt you.
    For instance - don't skip breakfast! Make sure you get protein and fats and not just carbs. Eating in the morning will accelerate your metabolism (ie help you burn more calories) AND reduce cravings and give you more energy.

There are studies that say eating smaller meals throughout the day also help keep your metabolism high and at the same time keep your cravings down. Also eating within 30 minutes of working out has shown to help you repair / rebuild your body after a tough workout.

But my best learning has been to eat breakfast even when I'm not hungry. It helps me stay to the plan for the entire day.

Best of luck!

nope science doesn't support this (hint, I can also find a study that says not eating in the morning is good for me) - your metabolism is a continuous burn during the day, you don't need to accelerate it

I find eating in the am actually causes me to having more cravings later in the day and I tend to have an early morning slump - which counters pretty much everything you said

100% agree and avoid eating too early for this very reason. I am in way better control if my first meal comes later than earlier after waking. I too, tend to have less cravings and desire to mindlessly eat if calorie consumption starts later. Ive never quite been sure if its reliable information when it comes to 'speeding up' metabolism, in any way.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I eat about 300 calories every 3 hours because I always enjoy always having a meal right around the corner. :smiley:
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Agree with others that timing is utterly irrelevant.

I tend to start my day with black coffee but otherwise skip breakfast entirely. If I know I'm going to struggle to fit my calories in for the day (like on a day I have a big cardio session planned or a class at the gym) I'll eat at break time. Otherwise most of my calories for the day are consumed in one big block at lunch.

I tend to save 1-200 calories for treat things in the evening. Today it was gin.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Panda8ach wrote: »
    Try not to eat after about 7:30 :)
    No way. OP should stop eating after 7:26 on the dot. Or it all turns to fat.

But with 7:30 pm and apple cider vinegar, it's brown fat. (WARNING to the credulous: The preceding is complete hooey)
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Whenever you want. Just ensure it is a timeframe that is sustainable for you. If you are happy with your current timing don't change it. Eat within your calorie goal and profit.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    OP - you'll need to figure this one out yourself. It's totally based on what keeps you satisfied throughout the day. Start with 3 meals and 2 snacks, or 4 meals -- or 3 larger meals and test it out. Good luck.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Yep completely personal. Sometimes I see how people portion out their calories and it seems insane to me.

I'm on 1380 now and I try to have black coffee for breakfast, 200 cal lunch, two 200 cal snacks, 500 call dinner, 300 "dessert"...then there are bites through the day cause I suck at will power that take up the rest.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I typically aim for half my calories before dinner and half my calories for dinner + evening snack. But that's just me. I find that if I eat much less than that before dinner, I'm too hungry in the evening and snack too much - but if I eat too much more than that before dinner, I don't have enough calories left for the evening snack (unless I make dinner really light; which I occasionally do if I had lunch at a restaurant).