Why am I gaining weight...antibiotic to blame?

Options
Last year I started taking an antibiotic for acne(azithromyzin...idk how to spell it...) Within a month of starting it I gained 8lbs. With lots of excercise and dieting I was able to loose 4 of those pounds. During the fall/winter my acne was better so I stopped the antibiotic. My weight was mainting it self pretty well without much excercise and eating fairly healthy. Now I started to have more acne so I got back on the antibiotic. I have gained 5lbs since and I'm unable to loose any...I just keep gaining. I've gained 2lbs in the last week! Is the antibiotic to blame? How can I loose this weight without getting off the antibiotic? Thank you so much!!!!!!

Replies

• YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to lose weight? Are you logging your food? Are you using a food scale? What is your calorie goal for the day?

Without knowing your eating/logging habits, it's hard to say why you are gaining weight.
  • abbison28
    abbison28 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to lose weight? Are you logging your food? Are you using a food scale? What is your calorie goal for the day?

Without knowing your eating/logging habits, it's hard to say why you are gaining weight.

I usually log what I eat, I'm eating about 1,400 calories a day and riding my bike for 30 minutes every day(fast so I get my heart rate up.) During the fall/winter when I don't gain weight and maintain my weight I'm eating about 1,500 and doing next to no excercise!
  • abbison28
    Options
    Also I don't visibly see any fat gain. My clothes all fit exactly the same. I've looked at a picture of myself from 2 years ago when I weighed 127 and now I look almost the same or maybe even a little thinner!
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    abbison28 wrote: »

I usually log what I eat, I'm eating about 1,400 calories a day and riding my bike for 30 minutes every day(fast so I get my heart rate up.) During the fall/winter when I don't gain weight and maintain my weight I'm eating about 1,500 and doing next to no excercise!

That still doesn't answer the other questions from above. Are you using a food scale? If not, you're eating more than you think. What are your goals? Are you trying to lose weight?

Because if you're simply wanting to maintain, and your clothes are fitting the same, the 2lbs could be nothing more than a weight fluctuation due to water retention, a high sodium meal, food in the digestive tract, etc.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    @abbison28 Again, five pounds is a normal fluctuation for women of childbearing age that can happen at any time, but it is completely normal for you to weigh more than you did last year or two years ago (five pounds is not "weighing more.") You are 18, right? You're still growing. No need to obsess over five pounds.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Are you still growing?
  • abbison28
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »

That still doesn't answer the other questions from above. Are you using a food scale? If not, you're eating more than you think. What are your goals? Are you trying to lose weight?

Because if you're simply wanting to maintain, and your clothes are fitting the same, the 2lbs could be nothing more than a weight fluctuation due to water retention, a high sodium meal, food in the digestive tract, etc.

No I'm not using a food scale. I was trying to lose weight, but now all I want is to lose like 2lbs and maintain my weight, probably around 136lbs(I'm currently 138) But since last year I've gained 11lbs from not doing anything different than taking my antibiotic!
  • abbison28
    Options
    @abbison28 Again, five pounds is a normal fluctuation for women of childbearing age that can happen at any time, but it is completely normal for you to weigh more than you did last year or two years ago (five pounds is not "weighing more.") You are 18, right? You're still growing. No need to obsess over five pounds.

I was told by a doctor before that girls stop growing around 16. I haven't grown in height for the last 3 years.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

No I'm not using a food scale. I was trying to lose weight, but now all I want is to lose like 2lbs and maintain my weight, probably around 136lbs(I'm currently 138) But since last year I've gained 11lbs from not doing anything different than taking my antibiotic!

Start using one then. With only 2lbs, you need to be accurate. I'm assuming you take the calorie info from pre-packaged foods? Those can be off by 20% according to the FDA, and typically that means more calories than stated. As I stated before, the anti-biotic could've increased your appetite without you noticing. All it takes is small mistakes here and there, and if you're not using a scale, it's virtually impossible to know exactly how many calories you were eating. So pick one up from a local store like Walmart, or even Amazon, and start there if you're struggling.
  • kelly_stevens81
    kelly_stevens81 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Start using a tape measure to take your measurements in addition to weighing yourself. Muscle is more dense than fat, if you are gaining weight and not inches congratulations your putting on muscle.
  • JudithNYC
    JudithNYC Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Medications (although not antibiotics necessarily, I don't know enough about that to make any assertions) do more than affect your appetite, they can also affect water retention and metabolism. So, yes, make sure you really know how much you are consuming because we do tend to underestimate the amount of food we eat but also take into consideration the normal weight fluctuations our bodies go through in a month. My weight used to retain up to seven pounds when I was still menstruating and even now it can fluctuate 2-3 pounds. When that happens I double check whether I am eating enough fiber, too much salt, etc. or drinking enough water. For sure, at the end weight loss is all about calories in-calories out but day to day or week to week there are fluctuations. If you are doing the right thing and being mindful about diet and exercise it evens up. If not, double check your "accounting" of food/water.

Last, but not least, make sure you are getting enough sleep. Lack of sleep affects the way you metabolize some nutrients plus the longer you are up the more you probably snack. I know I do. :)
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options

I'll give you a quick example of why you SHOULD use a food scale. One day I made a sandwich. The nutritional info for the roll I was using said it was 85g and 240 calories. I could have logged it that way. But it actually weighed 115g and was 330 calories. So just for one sandwich, just the bread alone I would have consumed 90 extra calories and not accounted for it. You CANNOT assume that what is on the nutritional label is correct. It can be off by a lot! And if you are using the label for everything you eat....imagine all the calories that are not being accounted for.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    If you are gaining weight you are eating more than you burn. It's possible medication affects your metabolism but you would need to see a dr. or pharmacist for that. The answer is very simple.. gain weight you are eating more than burn and lose weight you eat less than you burn.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    From what I'm reading some people do report weight gain with azithromyzin. Talk to your doctor, there may be another alternative for your acne which will work better for you.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    azithoromyzin is used for middle ear infections not acne...and you wouldn't still be on it...

what is used to treat acne is certain types of BC usually and that can cause increased appetite and water retention.

I suspect it's that...
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

This is what I was thinking. Maybe the antibiotic is also causing some water retention.