Meal kits: what's the point?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    I don't use them but if my choices are to use them or eat a bagged salad with a can of tuna dumped in, I am definitely choosing the meal prep kit.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    I also think that it is a bit lazy and shows a lack of creativity. It's not hard these days to find new recipes for free online if you need to change things up a bit.

While I generally don't care about other people's food choices, the amount of packaging and the extra shipping involved are an environmental concern and that is something that has an impact on everybody eventually.

Subscribing to any of these services is going to increase your carbon footprint significantly.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I don't use them but if my choices are to use them or eat a bagged salad with a can of tuna dumped in, I am definitely choosing the meal prep kit.

Heh, no kidding.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I'd consider them if i was single and working really long hours. Cooking is not my most favourite past time, and i really struggle cooking for just one person.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    I also think that it is a bit lazy and shows a lack of creativity. It's not hard these days to find new recipes for free online if you need to change things up a bit.

While I generally don't care about other people's food choices, the amount of packaging and the extra shipping involved are an environmental concern and that is something that has an impact on everybody eventually.

Subscribing to any of these services is going to increase your carbon footprint significantly.

The packaging waste is a concern, though the added delivery transportation is somewhat balanced by people not going to the supermarket as much. Potentially, if the companies grow and establish more local distribution centers in certain cities, they can reduce the transportation and packaging required.

Also, the meal kit concept could reduce food waste which is a current major contribute carbon emissions. This is especially for people who only shop and cook for 1-2 people who find they can't use certain foods before they spoil. Also foods that spoil at the store because they don't have as high demand.
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    chacault wrote: »
    This looks more like a judgemental statement than an actual question.

- If it's a judgemental statement, cool. It's gotta feel good to be better than other people.
    - If it's a legitimate question, I'd say that people order the prepared food because they prefer to have the food vs. make the food.

Really don't see how it's judgmental.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Some friends got together after my last surgery and gifted us two weeks of one of the meal services. My husband can't cook and I wasn't really up to it. The first week someone came in and made the meals for us and after that I was able to cook them. It was great. Much better than me trying to put stuff together while recuperating and it was fun trying the recipes. I don't think we'd use the service on a regular basis but it was great while I was healing up.
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member

Amen!! I already listed the reasons I can think of to get the meal kits. There are plenty of pros and cons...it ends up being a personal decision that changes over time as life changes over time. I've got nothing against the tuna and bagged salad either, but don't force it on me. Just like no one is forcing anyone to buy the meal kits. :-)
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    i'll admit the purple carrot (?) one with the vegetarian food is interesting to me - not vegetarian but my sister is vegan and I'm always looking for new stuff to try

See, this is one reason I'd be tempted to try out a meal prep service. Let's say an interesting-looking recipe calls for a parsnip. I don't usually buy that. I don't know if the nearby grocery stores carry it. So either I've got to call around and ask (and even that's not always 100% correct) or I have to go hunting. That can be fun if I've got an otherwise-empty block of several hours and want to spend my time that way. Usually that's not the case.

Or, recipes that call for 2 oz of heavy cream. We don't make a whole lot of them, and then the rest of it sits in the back of the fridge until we're like "hey, what's th- WOAH. how long has THAT been in there???"

Dried spices last a LITTLE longer, but even then, I've got boxes and jars of spices that have likely lost a good bit of their oomph because I don't use them often enough to use them up quickly.
  • VelociraptorTea
    VelociraptorTea Posts: 5 Member
    Woooow, so much judgement. I got Blue Apron for fun. I got fresh produce, high quality meats, and new recipe ideas. I don't do it regularly now but I enjoyed the recipes I got. A lot of them used ingredients I can *not* find locally for decent prices (it was cheaper to get the box) and I learned some flavor combinations. I cook for myself all of the time as an adult but it's easy to get stuck in a rut of cooking the same things over and over. I liked the idea of having different types of cuisines picked for me every now and then to get myself out of it. Good grief.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    LOL OP.... I'm guessing you've never tried a service like Blue Apron or Hello Fresh? Just making some assumptions? Here are a few of this weeks menu choices for Blue Apron:. Keep in mind all the ingredients, including fresh vegetables, proteins someone doesn't cook with regularly, fresh herbs and somewhat obscure or exotic things like Thai basil, fregola, tomatillos, gai lan, are delivered to your door in the right quantities with clear directions on how to prep and prepare them.

Now it is pricey, and for the trial period I did it for I didn't find enough meals that would appeal to my small children on a regular basis, and the recipes themselves were a bit involved for what I really wanted help with which is quick weeknight meals. But, I remember thinking that it would have been great to have this option when I was newly married, getting more comfortable and then adventurous with my cooking, enjoying cooking and then eating together with my husband over a glass of wine, etc...

But yeah, it looks pretty much identical to a bag of salad and a can of tuna....

Can of tuna, bag of lettuce and a dash of pepper.

That has to be terribly boring...some people like variety and complexity.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

My friends who use them definitely aren't lazy...they co-own their own business and work all the time 'cuz that's what you do when you run your own company. These things provide a convenient way for them to cook healthier and fresher options vs frozen dinners and take out without having to spend time shopping and prepping...they just have to do the cooking part.
  • snowbaby36
    snowbaby36 Posts: 12 Member
    I don't do meal service plans but am considering it for the fall. I work FT, have two children, wake up at 5am every day to work out, so if I can come home and have a meal already prepared that I just have to cook and assemble that will make my life that much easier, I am all for it. Am I lazy? Don't think so. Am I uninspired at times for coming up with new meals and grocery shopping? Absolutely. So much obnoxious judgment in this post. Must be nice to have everything figured out :|
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member

Whoa, there, Nellie!
    wdv983bah2zo.jpg
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Basically, the negative responses (and the OP) fail to comprehend that you can't feed your kids "bag of salad, can of tuna" and just whip through the store in 5 minutes. His perspective is clearly from a very young, single, childless person to not understand that many families and couples are too busy to homecook and shop for everything for a family, but still find a sit-down meal an important part of their families' day...as well as keeping it fresh and healthy.

I think these services are a great way to keep it healthy and spend less time doing chores and more time enjoying your spouse/kids/family.

And if I offered my 13 year old "a can of tuna and bag of lettuce" as a meal, he'd think it was time to take Mom to the Looney Bin.