Do you retain water more in hot weather?

Options
We've had a heat wave here in London over the past four days. 32°C every day (90°F). No air
On anywhere in this country so you just have to put up with it. I got on the scales this morning and have put on weight this week. The only variable being the heat. Could I be retaining water due to the heat?

Replies

• KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Water retention could be caused by increased water intake, hormones, cycles or just a normal fluctuation.
    I really wouldn't worry about it.

Source: Australian and am used to 42C days.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    Up your water intake whilst it's warmer, you may just have been a bit dehydrated I had some sort of cankle situation going on yesterday with the heat in Ireland.
  • Missycvt
    Missycvt Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    It's been 118 here in Nevada. I'm melting! Dry heat and usually hard to sweat. Have to really push it to sweat. This makes it hard for my water weight to drop. The water weight seems to go down if I sweat a bit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    LotusCass wrote: »
    We've had a heat wave here in London over the past four days. 32°C every day (90°F). No air
    On anywhere in this country so you just have to put up with it. I got on the scales this morning and have put on weight this week. The only variable being the heat. Could I be retaining water due to the heat?

yep!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Often people do yes. And sunburn makes it even worse.

Weekend before last I was stupid enough to fall asleep for 40 mins on Formby beach - no suncream :( I got pretty extensive sunburn. The next day I was 3kg (6.75lb) up on the scales! It took about 5 days to return to normal weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Weekend before last I was stupid enough to fall asleep for 40 mins on Formby beach - no suncream :( I got pretty extensive sunburn. The next day I was 3kg (6.75lb) up on the scales! It took about 5 days to return to normal weight.

ouchy!
  • mskimee
    mskimee Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing! I have drank loads more water than normal this week cos the heat is killing me and my weight has just shot up. I'm hoping it falls as fast!! Everyone in Ireland is the same this week and working in an airless office is just torture!!
  • rsergeant79
    rsergeant79 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling this last week also! No weight lost at all - maybe up a little too and no reason for it - hopefully now it's cooling down I can drop a bit!
  • LotusCass
    LotusCass Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    Water retention could be caused by increased water intake, hormones, cycles or just a normal fluctuation.
    I really wouldn't worry about it.

Source: Australian and am used to 42C days.

I am also Australian and used to that kind of heat, but not used to no air con. Completely sleepless nights, stinking hot and can ever escape it. Much rather Australian heat than this.
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I never knew this, may explain my weight issue, I swear I look a lot better in the face and other places where fat accumulates but weight has stalled despite a hefty deficit. Good to know.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I've gained 2.5lbs over the last week from water retention, but then again I've been sodium loading (3,500mg/day) to purposely achieve this ; )
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Options

Did the exact same thing on Formby
    Beach last Sunday
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I do. My ring gets tighter and it shows on the scale.

We had a hot spell last week. I ate regularly and no excess calories or sodium.

It cooled down to comfortable temps. I "wooshed" out the excess water the next day and now I'm back in my normal maintenance range.

Happens quite often to me. Thankfully I normally can't see it.

• leialeia79
    leialeia79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes! I've even had two fasting days in the last week and my weight has not changed at all, but I am drinking so much water that I expected this to happen.

When it cools down over the next week I'm expecting to see a woosh on the scales.
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I gained a kilo over the heatwave (yesterday was horrible) whilst still eating to target so I'm inclined to agree it's water rentention. We do tend to get it bad in the UK because our houses (and offices) are built for cold, wet weather. So a house with carpets, no air con, and insulation, can feel like hell in a heatwave.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I’m the opposite, I retain in cold weather. In hot weather, I lose sweat weight, which can be a lot.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Muana1005 wrote: »
    I gained a kilo over the heatwave (yesterday was horrible) whilst still eating to target so I'm inclined to agree it's water rentention. We do tend to get it bad in the UK because our houses (and offices) are built for cold, wet weather. So a house with carpets, no air con, and insulation, can feel like hell in a heatwave.

My bedroom was a 34 degree sweat box, so glad today is a bit cooler
  • Clare_Bear1986
    Clare_Bear1986 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So glad I saw this - I've gained back 1kg in our British heatwave. Been training hard as usual and eating the same. I wouldn't have minded maintenance, but to gain was a bit soul destroying, especially when that kilo was so hard to lose. Let's see what happens now it's cooling down!
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Missycvt wrote: »
    It's been 118 here in Nevada. I'm melting! Dry heat and usually hard to sweat. Have to really push it to sweat. This makes it hard for my water weight to drop. The water weight seems to go down if I sweat a bit.

You must be where I am,,yes I've been captain bloato all week!
  • gesundundmunter
    gesundundmunter Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    111 degrees in Southern Arizona, the AC can't keep up with it. I had started stationery biking for 1 hr every night a month ago but with the heat rash that I developed, this is risky now. Even had to get on steroids yesterday but this morning I was 1 lb. down.