Intense sugar cravings at night!

Options
2»

Replies

• vmbourg
    vmbourg Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have some sort of weird relationship with sugar. If I stay away from processed foods with sugar for 2 weeks, I am usually fine and dont crave it as often. But once I give in, to even things like skinny cow ice cream, I just restart the whole cycle. I have lost weight (80lbs) before and used those types of items for subs, but ultimately I get right back to the same thing. This time, I use fruit for my sweet tooth. I also like fresh strawberries in greek yogurt, really dark chocolate. Even plain rice krispy cereal with a little 2% milk will do it for me. I find these are less likely to send me on a binge and satisfy the sweet craving. I must be a sugar addict.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I save about 250 calories every day for dessert. I usually have a Fiber one brownie (90 calories) along with a serving of Halo Top ice cream (70-90 calories) and 2 servings of reddi whip whipped cream on top (30 calories). That or I'll have strawberries with whipped cream or a few pieces of dark chocolate. I can't give up my desserts!
  • No_Knock
    No_Knock Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Think Thin protein bites are great. I always need a treat after dinner. They provide some extra protein and help me scratch the itch. Totally recommend them!
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    No_Knock wrote: »
    Think Thin protein bites are great. I always need a treat after dinner. They provide some extra protein and help me scratch the itch. Totally recommend them!

I like think thin too!
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Great replies guys. Never heard of halo top.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Halo Top is amaaaaazing! Expensive, but on the rare occasion I want nothing in the world but a pint of ice cream, it's perfect! My usual go-to for nighttime sweets is dark chocolate- I get the 100 cal dark chocolate bars from Trader Joes. In general, I like individually packaged 100-cal snacks because I can more easily limit myself to having just one. But if it's not individually packaged into serving sizes, there's a good chance I'll eat way more than intended!
  • haileighmethven
    haileighmethven Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try making "nice cream" with bananas! Add other fruit too. It ends up being sweet and desserty without a lot of heavy dairy or fats.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I buy bags of frozen fruit, measure out however much I have calories for, defrost in microwave and eat. I don't know if you're a fruit fiend like I am though... depends on what tastes best to you out of the available options.
  • thabersham1
    thabersham1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I usually freeze grapes. That does wonders for me. Then, other times, I buy gummy bears, which isn't a terrible post workout snack.
  • conseanery
    conseanery Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you guys ever had cravings for sweets in the evening, how do you get pass them? Last night I was determined to fight the temptation, so I went to bed early. I've tried eating low carb during the day, but that doesn't really help. I usually crave a pack of donuts, cause of the instant feel good pick me up that it gives me.

I used to eat chocolates late at night before bed. I know the feeling. I replaced them with a protein bar (some actually taste really good!). That helped it become a more familiar food that was satisfying.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    conseanery wrote: »
    If you guys ever had cravings for sweets in the evening, how do you get pass them? Last night I was determined to fight the temptation, so I went to bed early. I've tried eating low carb during the day, but that doesn't really help. I usually crave a pack of donuts, cause of the instant feel good pick me up that it gives me.

I used to eat chocolates late at night before bed. I know the feeling. I replaced them with a protein bar (some actually taste really good!). That helped it become a more familiar food that was satisfying.

What protein bar do you eat? Thanks
    If it tastes good, I'm all for it!
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    If it's a sweet craving that won't stop, I eat bowl of fave sugary cereal with soy milk. The milk fills you up and you get the sweetness from the cereal. It takes a while to eat, so you get full and kill the crave without too many calories.
  • dorothyp3
    dorothyp3 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just gained 2-1/2lbs in less than 48hrs on a sugar bender. I'm going to try the tea remedy, and please God, let it work.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    @rocknlotsofrolls On the subject of evening sweets: Plan. Prepare. Execute.

You've had some suggestions for chocolate and fake ice cream. The point is, if you have room in your calorie budget, plan to have some reasonable amount of something you like.

Buy it, cook it, mix it, or whatever you have to do to get it ready.

Then, in the time of day that you planned and prepared to have it, have it. There's nothing wrong with eating something you like within your calorie budget.